Make a donation

Author Topic: Exhaust recommendations  (Read 5264 times)

Offline baldwined30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Re: Exhaust recommendations
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 12:12:01 pm »
Very I'm formative! Thanks!! How much is just the rear section to make the pipes slightly smaller??
Ed30

Offline Powervalve Nige

• Trader - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 84
  • -Receive: 76
  • Don't get angry, get a beter argument
    • POWERVALVE
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 12:27:48 pm »
Very I'm formative! Thanks!! How much is just the rear section to make the pipes slightly smaller??
have you already got a Blue Flame pipe fitted -
If so to modify and fit new tails to you existing pipe would cost £50.00
BTW - here's a small crib sheet following some exhaust questions I did for Joe recently - it may help answer a few general exhaust queries...  :happy2:

1) does the system bed in like most exhausts? - yes as the e-glass accoustic material settles the sound quality will improve
2) will the exhaust get louder or deep after a few 100 miles?- Without the cat in place the system can be deemed to be quite loud. Be aware that this may not necessarily be the case from one persons ears to another's ( remember the term - one man's meat is another man's murder) the key is balance - trying to hit the largest percentile of happy users, but generally after a few hundred miles the sound should have levelled itself out and settled to how it will finally be.
4) are the boxes in the middle and back silencers designed to create the sound? - the silencers are designed to create the power by allowing the gasses to pass unrestricted along the system - massively freeing up power. The stock system uses a process of sound elimination called "reflection" where the gasses bounce off baffle plates inside the silencers which collide and theoretically cancel themselves out. The downside to this efficient sound deadening technique is that the system produces excessive back pressure (bad news for the turbo- remember at 1.5 bar of boost the KO3 is running at 98% capacity). Our system uses a totally different process called the "absorption" process. This technique uses the same bore perforated tube as the system tube, which allows the sound to be absorbed into the silencer, which is filled with accoustic e - glass fibre. Whilst not as efficient at cancelling sound waves - it makes for the perfect solution when free flowing gasses are the priority - Oh and by the way it makes for a great sports tone that we are all familiar with in our petrolhead dna - as this is the way sports and racing cars were silenced back in the day. So to re cap the amount of silencing on a car using this principal is directly proportional to the CC's of noise deadening material employed within the system. Hence some people like the notion of a so called non resonated exhaust ( see my other pm re incorrect use of the term resonted ) Also the reason why Milltek systems are quiet is that they are not always free flowing - they use in certain configurations reflection baffles.
3) is the exhaust ment to be much louder inside of the car than outside? - As the sound waves are absorbed rather than reflected, the bass tones are amplified due to the bore diameter, in certain cases creating "cabin boom" this has to be avoided or driving will become a pain. The boom decreases with rev's as the frequency increases (pitch of the sound waves start to come closer together) so low revs wrong gear fully open plenum under load equals bad Karma for exhaust sound. The elimination of boom again is provided by using the correct amount of silencing. So less is not always more as there will always be a trade off - don't let anyone fool you into believing an exhaust running 3.00" primary tube diameters ( for power ) can remain pleasant to drive with one silencer - unless the car is constantly being driven at above 3000 rpm in any gear.
5) I'm guessing a stage 1 would change the sound all together? - yes the sound will increase with the extra boost slightly - this is amplified on the dsg, because the engine ecu induces a mis-fire on gear change, which is why you get the popping.
6) will the system backfire? - If yours is the dsg -plenty of popping,  if manual not as much.
7) will the system flame - Sadly not, you would need a serious anti lag system to enable that and with 2wd you'd just sit there spinning the wheels (Imagine a bar of boost at idle and then dumping the clutch - plenty of flames and smoking tyres - but no motion 

We are based in the North West and would love to re map the car using our custom GIAC software bud
Cheers
Nige

Offline baldwined30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 12:43:43 pm »
I already have an MV TBE! had ot for about 18months! cant really fault it apart from it sticks out a little far IMHO!

Apart from that its great and very well made!
Ed30

Offline SL03 JOE

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 12:57:20 pm »
i must say blueflame sounds the abserloute nuts mate, sounds much much better than my mates miltek on his GTI !

:driver:

Joe.
2006, silver, 5 door, top spec, low miles MKV GTI for sale - looking for offers above 9k!

Joe.

Offline golf nutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2011, 01:42:40 pm »
got to have some "NOISE" from the exhaust...i don't have funds for Blueflame and Miltek is overpriced, imho.  so what others are there?  any Group N types anyone got?

Offline baldwined30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2011, 01:59:27 pm »
How much is a blueflame then?
Ed30

Offline JackG

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2011, 02:08:54 pm »
What is a "group N" exhaust? Heard it mentioned before!

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline golf nutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2011, 02:43:26 pm »
Rally Group N regulation exhaust.  had one many years ago on a mk2 CRX and it was spectacular.  want something that has a few pops and bangs and has some bass to it.  heard the miltek is quite quiet.

further up the thread is an offer for blueflames at £800...more than i will be allowed to spend on an exhaust by a long way!

Offline baldwined30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2011, 05:35:18 pm »
Won't get much else for less unless you go used!
Ed30

Offline golf nutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2011, 05:45:25 pm »
probably looking at used i reckon.  so blueflame seems to be The One is it?  Magnex?  Scorpion?  any others?

Offline JackG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2011, 07:26:35 pm »
probably looking at used i reckon.  so blueflame seems to be The One is it?  Magnex?  Scorpion?  any others?

Give nige at bcs a PM buddy, really helpfull chap and is Very clued up on the exhausts systems!

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline golf nutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2011, 11:49:10 am »
anyone got one of these?  what's it like?  any vids?

http://www.amdessex.com/product.details.cfm?ProductID=10830&VariantID=76&ReferenceID=100790

thanks.

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2011, 11:36:27 pm »
anyone got one of these?  what's it like?  any vids?

http://www.amdessex.com/product.details.cfm?ProductID=10830&VariantID=76&ReferenceID=100790

thanks.

pipewerx tbe about £400.00, downpipe with sports cat about £460.00 or de-cat is only about £265.00 if you fancy failing your mot and chopping the cat back in once a year...
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline golf nutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2011, 08:19:31 am »
thanks for that...had a look at their site...will contact them when i am in a position.  do you have personal experience of their products?

Offline SL03 JOE

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2011, 06:28:54 pm »
Niges system at BCS is the Nuts!

Got the TBE blueflame Decat, with the BCS custom down pipe! Sounds the nuts and you can really feel the proformance comparison over the Standard System.

+ Nice Price  :grin:

Joe.
2006, silver, 5 door, top spec, low miles MKV GTI for sale - looking for offers above 9k!

Joe.