Make a donation

Author Topic: Sick to death by the lack of respect shown by other road users!  (Read 4861 times)

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
Rant alert!

Washing my car is getting to be an increasingly depressing event, due to the fresh nicks and scratches that seem to appear on it each week.

I already have a couple of quite noticeable dints in the rear passenger door, however on Friday night that tally was added to. I was out at a restaurant and parked next to a black 5-Series. When we left the drivers side rear door has an inch long vertical dint in it. I can only presume it was an occupant in the BMW as it had left.

So thinking it couldn't get any worse I found a great space in the supermarket car park this afternoon, on the end so I was able to park a metre from the next car. Great I though - no danger there! Until I got out and found a trolley lying against the boot. Another graze to add to my collection :sad1:

I seriously wonder whether people see a car that is obviously very well cared for and loved, and are deliberately careless around it.

Rant over :ashamed:

Offline RENNTAG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 23
  • Premium Performance Parts
    • Email
Re: Sick to death by the lack of respect shown by other road users!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 01:01:32 pm »
I know the feeling.

I have given up worrying about it now. Had someone rest his laptop bag on my roof whilst i was sitting in the car once.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 01:12:19 pm »
I have given up worrying about it now. Had someone rest his laptop bag on my roof whilst i was sitting in the car once.

I'd have driven off and then reversed over it.

This is why I don't wash my as often anymore. It just hurts to find new marks. Over a year ago, someone scraped the back bumper on the driver's side - evidently as they drove out from a parked position. Had it resprayed and returned to find the same thing again a year later. This is why I now try to just fill in the marks.

At some point, it'll have a respray but not for a good while yet.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 01:17:44 pm »
I know the exact same feeling, getting well miffed of washing my car and finding more scratches and dinks. My mates and other half like taking the mickey when I drive around a car park (or a couple of car parks at the local hell hole shopping centre) to find a decent space.

The latest additions seem to be from a new family of cats in the area that like to use it as a climbing frame  :fighting: :fighting:
The tops of the wings are covered and theres a nice one where it looks like one has slide down the bonnet by a foot, I'm hoping a correction detail will sort them as they polish out but re appear overtime, if not I will be majorly annoyed as will have to get them sprayed.

I gave it a wash today, was gonna polish it etc but just lost interest and left it... lucky I did as its just teamed down with rain, but its just disheartening every time i wash it
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 01:20:13 pm by Nodz »

Offline Nickyboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 7
  • 2007 ED30 in Grey
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 01:57:20 pm »
We need a £50 shopping car that you can park anywhere, even give it a kick in the door occasionally.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 02:27:30 pm »
Rant alert!

Washing my car is getting to be an increasingly depressing event..

....You obviously live in the wrong neighbourhood  :evilgrin: :

Unfortunately, too many people don't love cars as much as folks like us do. Plus, too many people give very little respect for others and/or their property. Inconsiderate thickheads!  :fighting:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 02:32:12 pm »
We need a £50 shopping car that you can park anywhere, even give it a kick in the door occasionally.

One of the Presenters on fith gear (I think he's mr innaprpriate on balls of steel) did this. He swapped his M3 I think it was for a battered proton and liked it on the bases he could park it where ever and stopped worrying about it

Offline Nickyboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 7
  • 2007 ED30 in Grey
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 02:34:21 pm »
I was thinking more along the lines of 2 cars, not sure a battered smelly old Proton would make a good toy  :signLOL:

h4rdy

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 04:52:01 pm »
Don't know if it's because I'm older, not in RR's league, but I gave up years ago?

My work is the worst.

You should see our Touran, sometimes you just can't fight it.

Just drive it, it's what it's all about.

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 05:09:54 pm »
I have a small Daihatsu thats 9 year old i use for shopping and such. As it just give me so much more freedom. I managed to bend the door on the gate post last winter and still not fixed it properly just bent it back so it would open/close and lock  :grin:
I find the problem is how wide modern cars are compared to older ones. I had little problems with the mk1 as its so much more narrow, were as the mk5 is very wide in comparison. Even the Daihatsu thats quite narrow does not seem to pick up dings as much as the mk5 did.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 05:12:52 pm by Snoopy »
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 05:44:53 pm »
This sort of thing is why i try and park well away from everyone (much to the wife's annoyance  :grin:) or next to something like this

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 06:01:20 pm »
So someone parks their precious car well away from anything else and you park right next to them!  :fighting:

Pees me off when this happens. Go to the supermarket, park in a lone section of the carpark and return to find some driver park right next to me, ignoring the 100 other spaces to choose from!

In an indoor carpark, I'd try and park in the opposite space to where you are so I can get the passenger door close to the pillar, meaning there's a huge gap between my car and anyone who parks in the next space.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 06:14:19 pm »
So someone parks their precious car well away from anything else and you park right next to them!  :fighting:

What is your problem? Your judging something i did off a picture where you can see a snapshot of one area of a car park. :confused: Don't assume something is the case without knowing the full story :fighting:

Just because you can see an empty space in that doesn't mean they had parked the car well away from everyone else. The reason i parked there is because i am careful and show respect to other people's property. I also expect someone with a £60k plus car to do the same. Just the same as if i parked next to your pride and joy. I would have the same respect for it as the GTR. It just so happened that as i drove into the car park that space was there so i parked in it. If the car park had been empty i'd have parked in the single spot you can see a vehicle occupying behind my car.

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 06:34:33 pm »
I once came out of the barbers and found a white van resting against my rear bumper on a slight decline, I went in the carpet shop next door, found out it was their van and they always do that because the handbrake doesn't work very well. Few choice words and a genuine threat of violence got my message across  :smiley:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 06:35:57 pm »
I'm putting myself in the GTR driver's shoes. Nice expensive car. Park it in a space with a gap on either side. Someone comes and parks next to it. I'd be a bit peed off.

Why not park in the second space to the left of the car? That's what I'd have done if those were the only spaces available.