Make a donation

Author Topic: How does your MK 5 handle compared to previous cars?  (Read 6542 times)

Offline golf nutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 13
Re: How does your MK 5 handle compared to previous cars?
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2011, 08:07:52 pm »
i am really impressed with the mk5 gti's handling so far...i havent pushed it to be honest, but it's very fluid, i am aware of what the car is doing under me and the grip levels seem good.  i previously had an impreza sti prodrive and i feel far more confident in the golf than the scooby.  i think the predictable and safer nature of a front wheel drive vehicle is the grounds for increased confidence.  wouldnt go back to 4wd.

Offline RacerMH

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • MH Racing
Re: How does your MK 5 handle compared to previous cars?
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2011, 08:27:00 pm »
As a fast road car it's brilliant. As a track car, it's undoubtably a bit soft, but I've got another car for that so for me it's perfect. I think you have to look at it's competitors in the sector and what it's designed for. Compared to the Focus ST, it feels less nose heavy and is considerably nicer to be in. Compared to a Civic Type R, it's got maybe 90% of the handling but is considerably easier to do miles in.

Out of the box it's got great balance and is compliant enough not to get thrown off line by bumps, something which my Octavia vRS Mk1 was terrible at. If you read any contemporary reviews, it's generally considered to be the benchmark in the sector. EVO certainly liked it, and compared to the Mk4 it couldn't feel more different! It's a very well sorted car and shines in a lot of areas. Remember that stiffness/roll stiffness doesn't necessarily make a car better, especially on our roads. You're actually better with some initial compliancy on turn in to allow the car to respond progressively.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 08:29:46 pm by RacerMH »
2008 Black Magic Pearl 3dr Golf GTI