Make a donation

Author Topic: Will a Clay bar help???  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Vdub13799

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Will a Clay bar help???
« on: August 12, 2011, 05:07:53 pm »
Hi everyone

Here's the problem, I've got a black gti that I bought a month ago now and loving it!!! When I polished it I used Auto glym super resin polish. Very good polish but when I polished the bonnet the polish which is white/beige has embedded itself in tiny little stone chips now showing as tiny specs!!! I have recently bought poorboys Black hole polish and poorboys ex-p sealant. Tried a little bit of the polish on the car and its awesome!!! Just wondered if a clay bar will help before I give it a proper clean because I want the best possible result and I want to get rid of those specs!!!

Any advice is much appreciated thanks people!!!

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
Re: Will a Clay bar help???
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 10:58:31 pm »
The SRP (Super Resin Polish) has loads of fillers to help mask swirls etc and its those that you can see in the stone chips because its recessed and not getting buffed out. If you clay it then it would likely remove it but will definitely remove the SRP over the rest of the are you clay. Regardless it will almost certainly improve the overall finish of the paint if used as a preparation before glaze, wax or sealant etc so personally I would do it anyway. I would say it made the single biggest improvement in finish out of everything on mine, apart from machine polish the paint.
 Rubbing the effected area down with some rubbing alcohol (IPA) would probably work in removing the white specs too but again it will remove all the wax at the same time.
 If you clay it then make sure you use plenty on lube and go gentle mate  :happy2:

Offline Vdub13799

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 09:33:08 am »
Ok nice one cheers Boothy! I'm new to this cleaning a car properly game so can you recommend a clay to use or are they all the same? Thanks mate

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 09:36:43 am »
The Meguiars kit is ok to start with or any that's described as a fine clay should be fine. You'll.also need some clay lube which I think the Megs kit includes.

Offline Vdub13799

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 09:40:17 am »
Quality! Thanks bud!!! :happy2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 10:18:29 am »
If it's in the "pits", then the claybar may not be able to reach it. Clay will slide across the surface so anything on the surface will get removed. If there's something that's half stuck into the paint and half out, then it will shear anything above the paintwork off, leaving remnants behind.

A tar remover/paint cleanser might be more useful.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Vdub13799

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 12:04:51 pm »
Cheers stealthwolf, if clay doesn't work then will definitly give that a go!!!

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 01:56:23 pm »
If it's in the "pits", then the claybar may not be able to reach it. Clay will slide across the surface so anything on the surface will get removed. If there's something that's half stuck into the paint and half out, then it will shear anything above the paintwork off, leaving remnants behind.

A tar remover/paint cleanser might be more useful.

I did think that might be the case mate but if its a soft clay it might be enough.....hopefully.