Make a donation

Author Topic: why I love my golf  (Read 875 times)

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
why I love my golf
« on: August 15, 2011, 08:38:52 am »
My car will be 6 years old on September the 5th. It is the oldest car I have ever owned, I am (sorry to say) one of those sad people who keep cars for 3 years and move them on when the manufacturers warranty runs out. I must admit that I have often considered other cars as a replacement and I have toyed with the a newer GTD, BMW 135i/123d or even a Scirocco but have always decided to stick with my baby.  The main reasons are I just don't think that many other cars live up to the mark 5's flexibility.

I can totally blast it round twisties and have a complete blast and as I did recently on a drive to a garden centre in Stirling where I picked up a 4 seater patio set, table parasol and 4 chairs and fitted it into my car! And again, yesterday, and this is what prompted this post, I had to buy my daughter a new bed, we went to Costco and there was a king sized bed for sale including memory foam mattress....I did not think it would all fit in my car, I even called a van hire firm in anticipation of a short hire but lo and behold....the good ol' GTI came into its own again and yes, it all fitted nicely into the back! I had to drive with the tailgate up slightly however but once home, I decanted the bed and the car once more transformed into a flying machine.  :evilgrin:

My car has just been serviced again and it runs like a dream, in fact I would go as far as to say it is actually better now than it was when I first picked her up.

I love my car, sometimes I wish that it had another 2 doors but for all round fantasic-ness the GTI wins for me hands down every time. :happy2:

Although I am still left with the conundrum of what will replace her when the time comes, I like having something that is practical but I also like something that I can DRIVE.

At this point I can only see one thing that comes close and its another Golf GTI.  :happy2:

Offline MAT ED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
Re: why I love my golf
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 09:35:48 am »
Same as me mate just done a trip to France with the car fully loaded and with 2 bikes on the roof and it just takes it all with ease. It's just such a flexible car it's a hard one to get rid of and I have looked at getting rid a few times but I just cant do it  :rolleye:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline gulfstream11

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 11:23:42 am »
I too am the type of guy to change every 3 years or close as.Something about MOT's just does me head in.Anyway when the insurance company gave me the cheque for my stolen GTI I just could,nt see anything that would replace that feeling of MK5 ownership.I was all over the rocco like a cheap suit,my nephew has a new one and the MK6,albiet very nice,just did,nt do it for me.

:congrats:@ VW for the ED30..I have never bought an older,higher mileage car than my previous one.

I spoke to a few of the guys at Harewood on Sunday and they feel the same.

Offline PDT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 12:57:06 pm »
I was in the same boat, loved my GTi and then bought the ED30 (stg2+) and then had a ride in a nicely specced 135i.

Now have a 135i with Quaife diff and remus exhaust and although I still miss the bootspace and fun factor o the golf, the 135i is so much better to drive. what we need is a RWD 3.0 twin turbo golf  :party: