Make a donation

Author Topic: Wobble when idle normal?  (Read 8162 times)

Saint Steve

Re: Wobble when idle normal?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 07:12:01 am »
^^^^ As I Posted.       N.  :confused:

Offline crashdesk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 09:21:46 am »
@Saint Steve I'll check my log book tonight

Apparently when I bought the car it had a 'Gold' warranty on it that runs out in February. For a start I don't know what a Gold warrany is. I have search the interent and found very little knowldge apart from a private company that covers all parts. Would the PCV be covered under this I wonder, and more to the point, what the hell is a Gold warranty lol

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 9
  • MKV GT TDi
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 03:23:07 pm »
Its the flywheel that is causing it to wobble. According to my mechanic and AMD this is a common issue and won't go away untll the flywheel is replaced.

Offline crashdesk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 04:20:30 pm »
@daboy3000 Would this be covered under warranty and is it causing any damage teh way it is? From what I have read there are 3 possibilities: flywheel, engine mounts, pcv valve

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • MKV GT TDi
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 04:36:36 pm »
I'm no expert, just another one suffering from the same thing, also known as seat wobble.  AMD said to just do it when the clutch needs changing and it won't do any harm.  I don't know whether the warranty would cover it, depends who its with and proving that is the issue, would be a lot of money to replace it as a trial and error type thing.

Offline neil86

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2011, 07:22:21 pm »
Mine does the same a little judder at idle i have a 1.4tsi my inlaws does this aswell they have a 140 gt tdi so is this just normal then?

I thought it was my engine but if yours is a petrol and mines diesel maybe it is the fly wheel or sumet, only thing is mines speradic sometimes its bad other times i cant feel it.

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • MKV GT TDi
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2011, 07:40:25 pm »
Same, only there sometimes. I've just added it to the list of shody Vw build quality failings. Like the hot start problem or the alarm siren packing up!

Offline neil86

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 07:59:47 pm »
Same, only there sometimes. I've just added it to the list of shody Vw build quality failings. Like the hot start problem or the alarm siren packing up!

Ha ha i bought one because there ment to be bomb proof maybe not so perfect  :laugh:

Offline crashdesk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 08:13:42 pm »
@Neil 86
Ha ha i bought one because there meant to be bomb proof maybe not so perfect

Similar thinking here  :smiley:

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 09:51:43 pm »
When the PCV is at fault you'll know about it.  There is a very slight little 'beat' at idle, usually when the engine is hot, that is felt but not registered on the rev counter that is a normal characteristic of these engines and nothing to worry about.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline Asa

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2011, 12:51:36 am »
Mine does the same a little judder at idle i have a 1.4tsi my inlaws does this aswell they have a 140 gt tdi so is this just normal then?

I thought it was my engine but if yours is a petrol and mines diesel maybe it is the fly wheel or sumet, only thing is mines speradic sometimes its bad other times i cant feel it.

I've had the same symptoms for a while 2004 GT diesel. Fly wheel would make sense as I felt the clutch slip a couple of times last year 60k on original clutch and flywheel
Have a look here post 171
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=145577&page=12

WILLZIE

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2011, 09:32:14 am »
When the PCV is at fault you'll know about it.  There is a very slight little 'beat' at idle, usually when the engine is hot, that is felt but not registered on the rev counter that is a normal characteristic of these engines and nothing to worry about.

This describes mine!, am hoping this is just the case! does it get any worse with time and did it bring up the engine warning light?

Offline crashdesk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2011, 09:47:39 am »
No warning lights up on mine. May get the garage to check it out, although as some people have said, they will probably say it's normal. If there are any MK5 GTI drivers here in NI, it would be good to meet up and compare. Only real way of telling.

Offline Rob84

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2011, 10:10:42 am »
A simple way to check if your PCV is working properly is to pull the dipstick out slightly when the engine is idling and if the revs start hunting up and down, you know its ok.

HTH  :happy2:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2011, 10:20:49 am »
A simple way to check if your PCV is working properly is to pull the dipstick out slightly when the engine is idling and if the revs start hunting up and down, you know its ok.

HTH  :happy2:

Good tip.  Oil cap too me thinks