Make a donation

Author Topic: poor mpg...  (Read 7698 times)

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
Re: poor mpg...
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 10:48:17 pm »
Old commute was 20 mins of city traffic and a few miles of dual carriageway with roundabout - typical mpg was ~25 mpg.

New commute is 35mins of windy B road and steady A road - steady 50-60mph territory with no stops - typical mpg is 37-40 mpg.  Everyday - without trying.

You might think this would mean boring but 50 mph on a winding B road is fantastic and it is after all the commute.  The GTI is truly all things to all men.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 11:19:06 pm »
Motorway + the inevitable London drag either at the start or end of the journey = around 33MPG

Driving most places in London = around 24 - 27MPG

Can't say i really bought the GTI in order to return great MPG, if i was that concerned by it i would have bought a derv. I don't begrudge filling her up whatever it costs me (i'd rather fill her up on petrol than fill myself up on takeaways and beer) because i love driving her  :party:

Nasir

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 11:23:51 pm »
Had mine for a month and average 34mpg. 30 mile drive per day mixed between dual carriageway (dcw) and town. 80% time spent on dcw with good few traffic lights. Pretty conservative on the driving but not so much as to be thinking about it. That's pretty good mileage you're getting.  :happy2:

PS I just use 95 RON. Some people say you get more miles on the higher octane stuff and better performance. Bit too pricey for me, but if I did shop in Tesco's more often I would probably get a better price.

Super unleaded will give you more miles to the tank, making it more economically viable than normal unleaded. So your spending more by buying normal petrol.

Offline JoeDarKa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2011, 11:45:20 pm »
I get 55-60+mpg on a 20mile run to work! Diesel pow-arrrrrr! The v-power shell stuff is miles better for me too

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 02:25:26 pm »
Yep i always fill up on V-power. Hopefully fuel prices won't increase any further and i do really hope the fuel prices come down (signed the government petition) but i don't really fuss about however much it costs for me to fill up and 95RON is just a false economy not to mention the inferior performance  :smiley:

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2011, 06:01:46 pm »
you get about the same as my A3 2.0T mate. some of the figures on here are unbelievable tho! 38mpg?! driving miss daisy i take it...

from a tank the best i've ever managed was 360mi but i'd only just hit the reserve so i reckon it had another 20 - 30mi left in it. on the DIS my long term average is 28mpg in all conditions and all styles of driving

S.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2011, 07:55:05 pm »
you get about the same as my A3 2.0T mate. some of the figures on here are unbelievable tho! 38mpg?! driving miss daisy i take it...

Not at all - 50-60 mph on a winding B road and then generally in a convoy doing the same speed on an A road.  Do try not to use WOT and to plan my driving to avoid heavy use of brakes or accelerator.  Sometimes I'll take the car out for a more spirited drive at the weekend and 38 mpg is not achieved.  The point is the flexibility of the engine allows me to be as enthusiastic or frugal as I want.

The TFSI is very economical when cruising - and 50-60 mph is pretty much the optimal speed for fuel ecomony. 

Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2011, 12:03:14 am »
I may have to re-assess my city mpg figures, just did home to Richmond and got 18mpg on the way there and about 17 on the way back  :sad1:

I enjoyed the drive though especially smoking a row of cars on Chiswick Bridge  :evilgrin:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2011, 12:23:39 am »
Combined mpg for the GTI is about 35mpg so nowt wrong worth getting 38 mpg. I've had 250 miles out of the car and it reckons it could do another 230 miles with half a tank left. The car can be very economical but it's not designed for mpg (go get a bluemotion).

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2011, 10:08:52 pm »
Had my Eddy30 for nearly a month! Done a run up to Norfolk and got 34mpg, jussst, that is until you just get to the single carriageway bit and its a dash to the roundabout. If you can keep the revs at around 2500rpm, in sixth, she'll see you good!  :happy2: Miss my Bora TDI Highline effeciantcy. Would get 50+ easily on long journeys. Drive down to Cornwall one year I was getting nearly 80mpg, that was quite conservative driving though.
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2011, 11:22:32 pm »

The N-ring journey I mentioned wasn't stupid fast, but it wasn't too slow either - I was chasing a friend who the day before was competing in the N24 event, so on the twisty undulating roads near Nurburg we were both driving pretty swiftly (I averaged sub 20 mpg for the first 50 miles :driver: :wink: ), but once on the autobahn (restricted) / auto routes, cruise was set at about 85. Air temp was about 30 - 35 C, and the A/C was on. The key difference between driving in the UK and mainland..... was that on the mainland, once on cruise, it was uninterupted for ages.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2011, 11:23:19 pm »
I usually get around 24-26mpg on the short journeys.

I did a 100 mile round trip at the weekend, mainly motorways and managed to get about 36mpg which I thought was great :happy2: especially as she was fully loaded (3 passengers, 2 suitcases in the boot and had the A/C on most of the way).
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline Bigjimknickers

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2017, 07:10:02 am »
Wow, you all seem to get a lot better than mine.. just worked it out as 18mpg on mixed journey on Saturday, could I have a faulty thermostat? Temp is about 70 deg

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2017, 10:34:11 am »
Wow, you all seem to get a lot better than mine.. just worked it out as 18mpg on mixed journey on Saturday, could I have a faulty thermostat? Temp is about 70 deg
You might not get a reply from this lot, the thread's almost 6 years old..

You say your temp is 70 degrees? It should get up to 90 and sit there rock solid. Definitely a stat if not.

The method I use if I think it's being a bit thirsty is to reset the computer (hold down the long button on the underneath of the wiper stalk for a few seconds) when I'm up to around 60mph and have another 10-15 miles of journey where I know I'll be able to maintain that speed, grannying it, in 6th. Most of the time I can get up to 40mpg if I really try. Over a longer distance, say on a motorway with the odd squirt of throttle I'll usually average 35+mpg. Car's a Stage 2 k03, R-Tech map. They're really not thirsty cars unless you cane it everywhere or have a fault.

Before I got the car I was a bit wary of fuel costs, knowing I'd inevitably be upping the power at some point. But I'm pleasantly surprised at just how frugal it can be. Jack of all trades!

Offline Bigjimknickers

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2017, 10:44:56 am »
Sorry, I just like to keep all the info in one place, hence the revive!
Mine must have a fault then, I'm constantly putting £20-£30 in it & as it's only a weekend toy I don't really notice how bad it's been, I only realised on Saturday I drove 70 miles on £20, I thought wow, that's not great, more than half the journey was at 50 mph on the M3 so I wasn't even going mad.