Make a donation

Author Topic: V-Power and MPG  (Read 9850 times)

Offline itismebigd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
Re: V-Power and MPG
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2011, 09:32:11 am »
Hi i have a round trip of 34 miles to work and regularly see 38 mpg,although the roads are very quiet at 03.45 and i am very rearly out of 6th gear.i have stage 1 with millteck tbe,but when friday arrives(pay day lol) i have seen single figures lol. my wife constantly tells me i dont deserve to own a gti driving it like miss daisy. anyway V POWER all the way has run on this for the last year religously with no probs at all.

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2011, 12:49:52 pm »
Regularly see 38mpg now but in city traffic its in th mid to low twenties.  A steady drive without harsh braking or acceleration is the key to good mpg.

I have seen very little difference in mpg from using 95 vs 99 but there is a noticable difference in performace, particularly the top end of the rev range.

Running on 95 will do absolutely no harm whatsoever to anyones engine.  Think of all the A3 / A4 2.0TFSI's out there - not exactly owned by enthusiasts who give a stuff about detergents and such snakeoil.  They seem to manage just fine.  Maybe won't make the factory quoted power output but thats about it.  Loads of countries / places in Europe where its difficult if not impossible to get better than 95 RON.  Again the roadsides are not littered with broken TFSI's ...
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline golf nutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2011, 02:44:26 pm »
I think the original posters mpg might be out a bit. I wouldn't get 38mpg out of my STD gti dsg even if I drafted a lorry down the motorway at 50mph

here's how i did it...brim to brim...zero'd trip...351 miles travelled, 41.53 litres added (9.13 gallons) = 38.46mpg (98RON).  happy to be corrected.  second tankful, 38.31(98RON), 3rd 36.38 (95Ron).  :grin:

Offline mb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2011, 07:58:48 pm »
I think the original posters mpg might be out a bit. I wouldn't get 38mpg out of my STD gti dsg even if I drafted a lorry down the motorway at 50mph

here's how i did it...brim to brim...zero'd trip...351 miles travelled, 41.53 litres added (9.13 gallons) = 38.46mpg (98RON).  happy to be corrected.  second tankful, 38.31(98RON), 3rd 36.38 (95Ron).  :grin:

You only managed to get 41 litres in? The tank holds 55 litres so it was no where near empty. I have a habit of driving round with the petrol light on so regularly fill it up and manage to get 50+ litres in. This is probably why your mpg figures are high.

I used to use an app on my iPhone that worked out the mpg but haven't filled it in for a while. I can get high mpg on single motorway journeys if I'm using cruise control, but over a whole tank it's probably high 20's/low 30's. A lot of my journeys are around town

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2011, 08:35:06 pm »
You only managed to get 41 litres in? The tank holds 55 litres so it was no where near empty... This is probably why your mpg figures are high.
Whether you fill an empty tank or a half-empty tank is immaterial. Fill the tank until the nozzle clicks shut, zero the counter, drive, refill until nozzle clicks shut. You now have a distance (from the counter) and quantity (from the amount of fuel entered). It doesn't matter whether you drove until the tank was half-empty or completely empty, it can be calculated each way.

I've achieved 40mpg by sticking at 60mph (via cruise control) on a 250 mile run.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline marcus

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2011, 08:40:33 pm »
I run my Pirelli stage 2 on V-Power or Tesco99, it is a little sweeter and crisper on V-Power but pulls hard on both. I would not run 95 for risk of knock and the map retarding the ignition timing which would mean rubbish performance and mpg until the map adjusts back.

How do people get 38 !!! I average 27.0mpg and that is a fair amount of motorway journeys. On a 120 mile motorway trip I will only see 29-30 at best. I have tested my mpg and it is virtually spot on checking via a full tank between refuelling, are some meter out ?

The ED30/Pirelli engines are a little worse on MPG compared to a regular GTI (based on the offical figures), then you have added stage 2 mods, which can't really make it better?

Anyway, I'm another person which can average 38mpg (commuting trips with 25% motorway). My tips would be:

Go easy on the throttle
Look ahead
Tyre pressures 2.4BAR or a little more
Regular spark plug changes

Couldn't agree more, my commute to work is 80% DC and Motorway 58 miles in total.  Very close to 40mpg this week, driving at the speed limit using 95 unleaded.

My old S3 1.8T would do around 34mpg with the same driving style.
2006 2.0T 5 door GTi
Silver, Xenons, Heated Seats, Cruise, MFSW, 18" Monzas, Lux Pack.

Offline mb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2011, 09:16:20 pm »
You only managed to get 41 litres in? The tank holds 55 litres so it was no where near empty... This is probably why your mpg figures are high.
Whether you fill an empty tank or a half-empty tank is immaterial. Fill the tank until the nozzle clicks shut, zero the counter, drive, refill until nozzle clicks shut. You now have a distance (from the counter) and quantity (from the amount of fuel entered). It doesn't matter whether you drove until the tank was half-empty or completely empty, it can be calculated each way.

I've achieved 40mpg by sticking at 60mph (via cruise control) on a 250 mile run.

Yeah true, my bad. I'll put it down to a long day and being tired so not thinking!

Offline golf nutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2011, 01:07:13 pm »

Exactly, it doesnt matter at what point you fill it up...drive till your on fumes or drive 100 miles...so long as you fill until the nozzle clicks off and calculate from there.  Thanks for backing me up there Stealth  :happy2:...thought i was going mad as that's the technique i have used for years. 

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2011, 03:39:45 pm »
ROFL. They've used the same technique on TG once.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.