Author Topic: plugs  (Read 1210 times)

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 6
plugs
« on: September 17, 2011, 11:19:56 pm »
not having much luck over in the technical area so thought I'd post here...

as mentioned in some of my other posts I'm not mechanically minded but happy to give things a go within reason and have a couple of jobs lined up...

however I have had what feels like small mis fires, there are no lights on the dash and looking over the log book she really could do with a new set of plugs (coil packs have been done on recall) looking through the manuals I cant see what the plug gaps should be set or if they will need to be checked/changed from new???

any help guys...

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: plugs
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 11:30:54 pm »
^
You've covered the coilpack question so mis-firing would suggest a plugs issue <-- I guess it's the next step in the process of elimination. I change mine every 20,000 miles because I was advised to do so on a remapped engine.

P.S.- Nice sig you've got  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 10:58:24 am »
Cheers RR... Any idea what the gap setting should be? Can't seem to find the info anywhere...

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 11:00:41 am »
Cheers RR... Any idea what the gap setting should be? Can't seem to find the info anywhere...

everytime ive searched gap Its been suggested they're pre gapped.  For St2+ at my state of tune i was advised on a gap of .64mm

HTH  :happy2:

Offline crashdesk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 04:06:23 pm »
Is your misfiring happening when accelerating, when idle or both. I have a misfiring issue currently when idle. Can feel it through the driver and passenger seat.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 04:16:08 pm »
Is your misfiring happening when accelerating, when idle or both. I have a misfiring issue currently when idle. Can feel it through the driver and passenger seat.

Mine only seems to count missfire on idle atm too, Cyl3  :confused:

Need to do some propper logs.

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 04:38:43 pm »
Seems to be more when driving can't say I have noticed if steady speed or acceleration... Haven't noticed at idle though.... And they are very slight whatever they are...

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 08:38:55 pm »
Well plugs done... Far easier than I thought hardest part was the wire loom to the coil packs one of them decided it wasn't comin' off for love nor money... Bit of gentle persuasion did it though...

All back together starts ok and no lights on the dash.

I'll wait till a little later take it out for 30 mins or so and see if there is any difference...

Thanks for all the advice guys...

Tim