Make a donation

Author Topic: Miglior Detailing: Tom's Red A3 S-line, complete Turnaround!  (Read 7613 times)

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
Miglior Detailing: Tom's Red A3 S-line, complete Turnaround!
« on: April 06, 2009, 03:44:18 pm »
Hello,
Here we have an Audi a3 in a really bad way. The paint on this was such a state, with an array of defects to tease and frustrate me over the next 3 days! Most will recognise this to be toms car! ;)

I started with the usual pre detail prep of the car:
Snow Foam left to dwell for 5-8 minutes.
Washed via 2BM then rinsed
Alloys and arches cleaned with Bilberry and Meg’s super degreaser (arches).

The car was then clayed with Meg’s mild clay. There were some really stubborn bits on the car, which needed aggressive clay mainly around the rear of each wheel, which was expected. Another added complication was overspray on this car. It seems somebody has painted there fence near to this car at some point. It had brown fence paint spots all over, probably from one of those cuprinol sprayers. Needless to say I wasn’t laughing like on their advert, trying to get it off. It took me more than an hour just to get all the tar, paint and sap off the car.

Then the car was rinsed down again and dried off with a waffle weave microfibre, and rolled the car into the unit.Under the lights, the car showed its true colours. With a vast array of every defect you can think of, it certainly was going to be a long one.
Queue near endless photos of near cringe worthy paint...

I wont bore your with hundreds, but all the car was like this.
I took some paint readings and discovered the car had probably been repainted fully. There were readings between 250-280 all around the car, whereas the door jambs were reading a normal 110-120.

The bonnet and wings were reading nearly 340 in most places, so might have been painted since the respray.

The customer wanted a near 100% correction on this; bearing in mind the respray it was going to be a challenge.
Onto the correction

I started on the bonnet with a yellow 3m cutting pad and 3M Perfect-it III Extra Fine Compound.
This got rid of the marring and many of the lighter swirls, but there was still an awful lot of Random Deep Scratches (RDS's) sticking around.

I gave it another hit with the same combination but it still didn’t do much to the RDS's, although it gave a good LSP ready finish.

I tried adding a little Fast Cut Plus to the yellow pad, along with some Extra Fine compound, but again, no joy.

Then I moved onto the Green 3M cutting pad and fast cut plus. A combination I rarely use other than on localised trouble areas.

This gave me a much bigger improvement in the RDS, but it obviously it left its own marks.

So I found a winner for the RDS's. It just meant it was going to take a while to do a full correction as id be going round the car with Fast cut plus then Ultrafina/Extra fine compound.

I made my way around most of the car and achieved great result with the FCP. It was only when I got back onto the bonnet and wings I had a bit of a problem. After 2-3 hits, I was struggling to get any further with a correction.

There was still a few RDS hanging around, and they were not up for moving! After a think and a chat, I came to the conclusion there were marks under the lacquer. This was a shame, but for a car with a questionable paint history, it was inevitable that 100% correction was out of the question.
That’s not to say it looked shabby, the turnaround from how it arrived was still fantastic.

Once I knew I had a FCP cut and a Tidy up after that, I moved into top gear and left the camera on the shelf for quite a while. Here are some more pictures

So, once was the FCP was out of the way, the car was pretty dusty so I dusted it down and changed some of the masking tape to avoid any of the FCP being dragged back onto the paint.

So onto a new yellow cutting pad with Ultra fina to remove the hologramming and slight trail marks left by the Fast cut plus with the cutting pad. The Ultrafina did next to nothing due to how hard the paint was! So I changed to extra fine compound.
This turned out to be perfect, and with careful jewelling it on the slow down, the paint came out perfect for a Last Step Product.

The lights were also done with Extra fine compound

So after the extra fine compound, the car was dusted down, and cleaned up. Then ISP (isopropyl alcohol) wipe down to ensure the best possible adhering of the LSP.
The LSP of the day was to be Zaino Z5 with ZFX. 3 coats of this with Z6 between coats and a final wipe down with Z8 will make this baby shine!

And shine it did, here are the pics!

Between the coats drying I:

dressed the arches with 303 Aerospace protectant.
Cleaned the exhaust with #00 wire wool and Autosol.
Cleaned the windows with megs window cleaner
Dressed the plastics and lights with some Zaino Clear seal which worked really well
Sealed the rather nice BBS CH alloys with Zaino Clear Seal too
I also Applied A hydrophobic coating to the windscreen to ensure wiper free driving on wet motorways!
the alloys were dressed with megs endurance gel, the customer used this before and prefers it to Swisswax Pneu.
More pictures
Total work time 20 hours!
Favourite shot:

Thanks for reading
Jay
Miglior Detailing

« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 03:54:52 pm by JPC »

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: Miglior Detailing: Tom's Red A3 S-line, complete Turnaround!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 03:56:44 pm »
Holy sh*t. You had your work cut out there Jay. I think Tom is a lucky man having you as his best buddy.  :drinking:
That was also a very good write up. I normally skip through bits of the writing but felt involved right from the start.

Top marks fella.  :drinking:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 03:59:05 pm »
thanks a lot mate, it was such a mess! haha!

it does look really good now. There are marks i can still find, but anyone else would have to really look for them

(well....thats if tom hasnt washed it yet. heavy handed goon)

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 04:01:22 pm »
 :drool: :drool: :surprised: thats stunning!!!! well done,

you got
 :happy2:

you going to have fun with mine if you think thats bad  :grin: :P

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 04:02:23 pm »
oh lordie! well...get your wallet out!  :innocent:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 04:05:13 pm »
Dont want to spam your thread with Joes car but i had a good look round it on Sunday and i can confirm although a beautiful colour with all the metallics zipping out, it is in a right mess.  :grin:

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 04:06:04 pm »
oh lordie! well...get your wallet out!  :innocent:

will be doing at the end of this month, april bonus!! WHOOOO!  :party:

wont give you a date yet,  :smiley:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 04:06:40 pm »
Dont want to spam your thread with Joes car but i had a good look round it on Sunday and i can confirm although a beautiful colour with all the metallics zipping out, it is in a right mess.  :grin:

+1  :grin: :grin:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 04:07:24 pm »
haha, no worries, i saw it was pretty bad at UD 09!

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 06:05:26 pm »
Awesome job Jay , I now realise why Tom was going nowhere near it with a dirty rag on Sun @ Santa Pod    :scared: :grin:
In terms of lacquer thickness etc , how much is generally taken off?

Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline TomB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 06:07:49 pm »
Looks very good, just a shame some of them scratches refused to budge.  

Some of the pics show his reg ;)
Tom
05 GTI - 18" Merc wheels, coilovers, colour coded Votex kit, all waiting to go on.

Offline luca

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 06:21:42 pm »
Top job again jay :happy2:.
I cant wait to get the next mods out of the way so that i can treat my car to a full detail :happy2:

Tornado red ED30, Revo stage 2, ITG Panel filter, 3" Blueflame turbo back exhaust, leon cupra front brakes, ecs dogbone mount, WALK kit, Eibach sportlines, Satin black Monza II's, VWR/sachs paddle clutch

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 06:35:42 pm »
Very very good work there. 

Great results.

:happy2: :happy2:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 06:54:16 pm »
Sh1t hot job there mate

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 06:59:43 pm »

VERY impressive mate  :happy2:

Looks stunning!