Make a donation

Author Topic: exhaust system warning  (Read 10599 times)

Offline peter215

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
exhaust system warning
« on: November 01, 2011, 03:59:40 pm »
exhaust system warning light came on today, not text in display screen saying exhaust workshop or anything else. nothing obvious wrong no lack of power, anyway benfield want £85 to diagnose fault ,so could anybody recommend a cheaper source of getting it diagnosed please, I live in Northumberland 15 miles north of Newcastle,thanks
MK5 Golf GTI DSG, 5 door 05 plate ,multi function wheel with paddles, leather interior,cruise control,parking sensors,armrest.

Offline brookesb32

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 75
Re: exhaust system warning
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 04:23:03 pm »
exhaust system warning light came on today, not text in display screen saying exhaust workshop or anything else. nothing obvious wrong no lack of power, anyway benfield want £85 to diagnose fault ,so could anybody recommend a cheaper source of getting it diagnosed please, I live in Northumberland 15 miles north of Newcastle,thanks

Hi, I have had this a few times, and whilst I fully recommend getting a scan done (I'm sure there will be someone with VCDS near you happy to help), it has never turned out to be anything on mine, in fact nothing has come up on scans after the light has gone out (3 starts on the ignition tends to clear the light). I put it down to the sensor playing up due to not sensing the correct mixture.

VCDS cable HEX-USB+CAN. New but can do the basics including coding

Offline peter215

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 04:42:38 pm »

Hi, I have had this a few times, and whilst I fully recommend getting a scan done (I'm sure there will be someone with VCDS near you happy to help), it has never turned out to be anything on mine, in fact nothing has come up on scans after the light has gone out (3 starts on the ignition tends to clear the light). I put it down to the sensor playing up due to not sensing the correct mixture.

Thanks,

I have been doing a lot of short trips (5miles) lately for a month due to change of work and not using much at weekend , could this have any bearing on fault
MK5 Golf GTI DSG, 5 door 05 plate ,multi function wheel with paddles, leather interior,cruise control,parking sensors,armrest.

Offline robby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 08:39:16 pm »
Mine had this last week and the dealer plugged it in and said it's usually the black valve thing at the front of the engine with small hoses going into it (can't remember the name of it), they said it's common

they reset the codes and it hasn't come back on since?

I'd just filled my tank with optimax <10 mins before so thought i might have a bad batch, might have been a coincidence  :confused:

Offline robby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 06:18:29 pm »
Well bugger me - my light has come on again tonight  :sad1:  i'm getting it taken to the dealers again tommorow to see what shows up now (more money to spend before xmas)

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 06:54:27 pm »
Well bugger me - my light has come on again tonight  :sad1:  i'm getting it taken to the dealers again tommorow to see what shows up now (more money to spend before xmas)

No-one near to you with a vcds cable?
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline peter215

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 07:13:09 pm »

Mine is still on, still nothing noticeable wrong with car,booked in at dealers Monday £85 for a scan 

Offline robby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 07:14:29 pm »

No-one near to you with a vcds cable?

dealer reset the light a couple of weeks ago and said if it came back on he'd know which part was faulty (black thing at front of engine with pipes going into it) - he'll confirm this and order part (i hope)

Offline robby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 07:15:35 pm »

Mine is still on, still nothing noticeable wrong with car,booked in at dealers Monday £85 for a scan 

blimey - only took local dealers 5 mins to check and reset mine  :surprised:

i'll let you know what they say tommorow

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 07:20:46 pm »
...it's usually the black valve thing at the front of the engine with small hoses going into it (can't remember the name of it)

The N80 Solenoid Valve...

Read this thread - http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,36201.0.html

Offline brookesb32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 75
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 07:25:57 pm »

Don't let them charge you a full hour for the scan, when I spoke to my local VW dealer it was £45+vat for half hour.

Surely a local garage or someone with VCDS would be better than shelling out £85!
VCDS cable HEX-USB+CAN. New but can do the basics including coding

Offline peter215

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 07:50:55 pm »

Don't let them charge you a full hour for the scan, when I spoke to my local VW dealer it was £45+vat for half hour.

Surely a local garage or someone with VCDS would be better than shelling out £85!

I Dont Know anybody local who can do it, local garage cant read the codes or something like that. The dealer never mentioned anything about half hour rates just that it would be £85 to diagnose fault

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 08:35:19 pm »
I Dont Know anybody local who can do it, local garage cant read the codes or something like that. The dealer never mentioned anything about half hour rates just that it would be £85 to diagnose fault

See if anyone on this thread is local to you and PM them.
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,120.0.html
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline robby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 09:18:55 pm »
...it's usually the black valve thing at the front of the engine with small hoses going into it (can't remember the name of it)

The N80 Solenoid Valve...

Read this thread - http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,36201.0.html

Just read that post, did you sort yours?
i'm dropping mine off at Hudds VW - spoke to Dougie last time and he seems to know what the problem will be - which indy did you use (p ellam, ivs?)

I changed my DV to the new piston tyre a couple of days before i got the light for the 1st time - do you think it's connected?

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 10:46:10 pm »
I used Peter Ellam. I don't think they know too much about the 2.0T engine to be honest. They changed the N80 (at a cost of £105) and the light came back on 2 days later. They then had the car for another hour but suggested they'd need it for a further half day to determine what was wrong. I asked if they had checked the diverter valve and they hadn't. I then had to show them where it is on a K03 car!

I've got a new DV coming tomorrow so hopefully that will sort it. If not I'll possibly drop it in for IVS to have a look at.

What car you driving btw?