Make a donation

Author Topic: mobile phone upgrade dilemma ...  (Read 3600 times)

Saint Steve

mobile phone upgrade dilemma ...
« on: November 06, 2011, 06:29:50 pm »
having owned an Apple iPhone for 2 years, I want to try something different.

As good as the new apple iPhone 4s is, (or should I say the 4 with strawberry sauce topping)

I'm currently on a £33 a month deal with vodaphone,but want to increase my Internet streaming to 1000 meg or unlimited.

i like the look of the Samsung S II android,and I can get a tariff that's less then my current snail speed 3G iPhone.

The Samsung also supports FM Radio which the iPhone 4's don't. Has a larger screen and very similar system O.P to apple, which appeals more to me as I want to stream Sky's App SKY GO which is soon to be released to the Samsung phone.

has anyone got one of these phones? Or does anymore suggest another alternate Smart phone.

Cheers  :drinking:

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
Re: mobile phone upgrade dilemma ...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 06:57:31 pm »
If its within your budget, your much better off buying the phone outright then going to http://giffgaff.com/  they have truly unlimited internet, and amazing prices.

It will work out cheaper over a 12month or 2 year contract too, but as its not a contract you can move on when ever.

rom my experience, once you have had an iphone your never really happy with anyother OS, as the simplicity of the iphone isnt unmatched.

However the S2 is a great phone!

Offline Rampage

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 06:58:02 pm »
Hi Steve,

I'm no expert on phones but a few people I've spoken to reckon the Samsung Galaxy 2 is technically the best phone on the market. I'll probably look to upgrade to it from my HTC Desire when its due. Just my two pence worth. Sure someone in the know will be along soon.

Cheers   :happy2:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 07:12:53 pm »
If its within your budget, your much better off buying the phone outright then going to http://giffgaff.com/  they have truly unlimited internet, and amazing prices.

It will work out cheaper over a 12month or 2 year contract too, but as its not a contract you can move on when ever.

rom my experience, once you have had an iphone your never really happy with anyother OS, as the simplicity of the iphone isnt unmatched.

However the S2 is a great phone!

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 07:28:29 pm »
Steve I felt exactly the same. 4 years of iPhones and wanted to try android. A month before the iPhone 4s was announced I sold my 4 and bought a HTC to try android os.

It's a good os but after 3 weeks it became infuriating and after selling it and buying a 4S iPhone ownership feels better than ever. It's so much slicker to use, Internet works far better and typing is worlds apart. 

I will never stray again and urge you to stick with the iPhone

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 07:29:02 pm »
I know diehard Apple fans that say the latest Samsung Galaxy is way better than the 4S.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 07:36:26 pm »
I have the Galaxy S2 and its a beast of a phone. Not had an iphone of any sort so can't directly compare the two but still, the S2 is brilliant. The operating system is a doddle, the screen is amazing even at a lower resolution than the iphone. The colours are eye popping!   There are loads of good apps now as Android becokes more and more popular. Its quick at pretty much everything and despite its size, its so light and thin that i teels less cumbersome than my older, smaller HTC. The only draw back is the battery. Not poor but as you would expect and less t han my mates iphone 4. If your streaming too it will eat it so I use an extra charger at work just in case. The only other issue I have is when typing on here as it hides the typing area and its difficult to see what you have typed. That,could well be me being thick though.

Saint Steve

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 07:39:34 pm »
I know diehard Apple fans that say the latest Samsung Galaxy is way better than the 4S.
That's what I've read aswell..

To get unlimited downloads, I will have to increase my monthly tariff by minimum of £15 extra for another iPhone 4S, and also pay for a handset, that's the equivalent to the Samsung SII is as standard...
I can get 300 mins, 3000 texts, and 1 gig download for £28 a month with a Samsung... Or pay upwards of £44 for similar 4S.
I don't use my current iPhone as a music device, as many people like about an iPhone over the competition.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 07:46:36 pm by Saint Steve »

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 09:06:28 pm »
In terms of hardware the SGS2 is more advanced than the iPhone 4S. But its no good if the OS it uses is a complete pile of crap, always seems like its in Beta, and is more buggy than a fly convention.

Now, im an Apple fan to the bone. However, i had an Android phone for 6 months this year, and i just couldnt stand it.

Saint Steve

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 09:26:15 pm »
Well I'm sold, been on YouTube watching videos on it, and its an absolute beast .

Thanks for those that have had experience with this particular phone that came foward.

:drinking:

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 10:40:21 pm »
Well I'm sold, been on YouTube watching videos on it, and its an absolute beast .

Thanks for those that have had experience with this particular phone that came foward.

:drinking:

I would say take Android for a test drive first.

Offline heady2010

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 11:06:11 pm »
or, you could hold out a week or so and look into one of these http://thered99.com/936/samsung-galaxy-nexus-prime-release-date-confirmed/ should be the best phone out by far, plus its got face recognition, how cool is that! Even if you dont like or want the phone, id still wait for it to come out as it will probably result in other phones being dropped in price in order to compete.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 11:55:02 pm »
I get the feeling you had made your mind up before you wrote the thread?

Saint Steve

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 07:14:58 am »
I get the feeling you had made your mind up before you wrote the thread?

Sort of, but in as in all new idea's, it's worth putting it out to confirm from other peoples thoughts..

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 09:27:17 am »
Don't get stuck with the S2  :ashamed:

There are some great features and some great specs on paper, but if u are used to apple, u will probably get the urge to throw the S2 at the wall in no time at all.

It's so hard to get used to....and everything seems wrong-where as the iPhone seems so right.

I'd buy one 2nd hand if poss mate. Then use it for a few weeks and re sell it for the same price.

Then get the phone/contract of your choice  :happy2: