Make a donation

Author Topic: Bootlid trim removal - help!!  (Read 1374 times)

Offline Jungle_Faced_Jake

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
Bootlid trim removal - help!!
« on: November 13, 2011, 01:06:46 pm »
I'm needing to replace the rear badge and the upper tailgate trim - one of the sucker type things that the parcel shelf attaches to has broken. I have the parts off an Eddy that was recently broken but have just attempted to fit them and am stuck. I can't get the main tailgate trim off. I've followed the instructions on step 5 of this thread http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,10027.0.html but to no avail. I can get the lower part to unclip but there seems to be something still attaching it at the top corners that I can't move. I've tried a resonable amount of force but don't want to use excessive force in case I knacker something. Any advise from anyone who has successfully done this before would be much appreciated. Cheers  :drinking:

Offline gizmo68

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
  • We're here for a good time, not a long time
Re: Bootlid trim removal - help!!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 03:06:11 pm »
They do require a GOOD pull to release all of the clips!
make sure you are pulling the trim evenly though as they can split if not careful, especially in the cold,
IIRC once ALL the clips have come free the trim lifts upwards (towards the window) about 20mm (I may be confusing that bit with my Superb though?)
VCDS HEX-NET & VCP owner (covers all VAG cars)
(PM me if you require VCDS or VCP coding or scanning in Kent)

Offline JoeDarKa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 03:28:00 pm »
Taking mine off was a frigging nightmare and another nightmare to get it back on! I think we just tugged on mine til it came off!

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 03:43:11 pm »
There's no special technique. Remove the light covers so that you can see the backs of the light clusters. Then it's just a case of starting at the corners and giving everything a good bit of effort. It scared the hell out of me the first time it was done.

To replace, it's worth going round with some WD-40 & making sure each of the clips has a bit on. Plus, as Gizmo68 says, don't do this on a cold day. A new boot fascia is £86 and it's very easy to either lose a metal clip or break the plastic mount. Use the space where the light cluster covers were to look in and see that the metal clips realign.
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 03:50:55 pm »
As above, use more force. I had a few scraped knuckles. Some trim removal tools helped too but TBH it was just force that helped. Harder than the engine cover IMO!

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 04:16:02 pm »
I ended up with scrapped knuckles and a crack boot trim after doing mine and broken clips... gonna have to get a new one at some point as haven't seen any about or email a few scrap dealers

Offline Jungle_Faced_Jake

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 04:30:22 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I need to be a bit braver with the old brut force, I just chickened out when it felt like I had to pull on it too much  :scared: These sort of things are never as easy as they look are they  :surprised: Good point about the cold weather as well I hadn't thought of that. Already a small split appeared at the bottom middle by the latch. Will give it another go tomorrow if it's not too cold. All I want to do is replace the badge (old one starting to get whiteworm) and the upper trim.