Make a donation

Author Topic: ***30-130mph Day***  (Read 78070 times)

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
Re: ***30-130mph Day***
« Reply #435 on: March 19, 2012, 01:03:05 pm »
Jims has done a few trackdays mainly Combe but a few others without missing a beat. I have driven it and been out in it and it is phenomenally quick just not as quick as Luca's Trolley.  :wink:

I was absolutely blown away with the top speed of that thing.. To make a Fiesta go quick is easy, to make a brick fronted 1990's Fiesta do 180+mph over 1.5 mile is pure genious IMO  :congrats:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=k2j77va34299fb1l67lvk1qlab&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #436 on: March 19, 2012, 02:50:22 pm »
What's the engine spec on that fiesta?

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #437 on: March 19, 2012, 03:17:06 pm »
His build thread, or a link to it is on here. Luca1 is his name.  :happy2:

Offline Listerofsmeg

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #438 on: March 19, 2012, 03:46:59 pm »
Great day sadly ruined by the weather!! I want to also extend my congrats to Luca for the 184, major kudos!!! I did manage just under 181 but the story of my day was just extreme lack of traction. I had no grip until 5th gear so didn't give me enough room to pull through it. Still had another 1500rpm to go and was climbing at 3-4mph a second but I had to brake very early as they were shocking!!!

Was just about to have a crack at the 30-130 properly with the slicks but I lifted the Bonnet to find a driveshaft grease all over the bulkhead and a severely twisted shaft! Decided it wouldn't have taken another one and called it a day.

The video I took showed just how hard it was to put the power down, even at 45% throttle in 4th it broke traction at 120!!

Nuts.

Still enjoyed it as always! If I still have the car in a year I'll have another crack :)

Great effort by everyone!

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #439 on: March 19, 2012, 04:36:48 pm »
Great day sadly ruined by the weather!! I want to also extend my congrats to Luca for the 184, major kudos!!! I did manage just under 181 but the story of my day was just extreme lack of traction. I had no grip until 5th gear so didn't give me enough room to pull through it. Still had another 1500rpm to go and was climbing at 3-4mph a second but I had to brake very early as they were shocking!!!

Was just about to have a crack at the 30-130 properly with the slicks but I lifted the Bonnet to find a driveshaft grease all over the bulkhead and a severely twisted shaft! Decided it wouldn't have taken another one and called it a day.

The video I took showed just how hard it was to put the power down, even at 45% throttle in 4th it broke traction at 120!!

Nuts.

Still enjoyed it as always! If I still have the car in a year I'll have another crack :)

Great effort by everyone!

Mate, the mere fact you did 181mph in that thing with the brake set up you had gets a major  :congrats: from me.. I had 6 pot Brembo anchors on mine and braked well before the gates of death @ 160 due to my little kahunas. For you to hit 180+ with those milk bottle tops was pure  :rolleye: :laugh:

Did feel for you big powered FWD guys though. Typical English weather to ruin a cracking day after being dry for weeks before hand. Only to then be mint the day after....  :fighting:

Offline DanGB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 12
  • Different
« Reply #440 on: March 19, 2012, 05:07:02 pm »
Sods law init, might go next year with more power and hopes for better weather, i'll still have FWD though!

Ben, did you have much wheel speed in third or second?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 05:10:16 pm by DanGB »
Seat Leon Mk2 TFSI sport 4WD sleeper - Breaking
Buld thread: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45377.0.html

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #441 on: March 19, 2012, 05:12:55 pm »
I didn't get any in 3rd, but did in 2nd (even with RWD).. Your's must of been a handful?  :scared:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304

Offline DanGB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 12
  • Different
« Reply #443 on: March 19, 2012, 05:15:10 pm »
I didn't get any in 3rd, but did in 2nd (even with RWD).. Your's must of been a handful?  :scared:

well second gear was a complete waste of time, but 3rd wasnt too bad as the map was adjusted for smoothness last week - but still, not exactly grip city.
Seat Leon Mk2 TFSI sport 4WD sleeper - Breaking
Buld thread: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45377.0.html

Offline luca1

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #444 on: March 19, 2012, 08:15:05 pm »
Thank you to everyone for a great day spoke to a few people briefly and enjoyed watching you all run.  :congrats: :driver:

The weather was disappointing for me too, traction where were you????  :signLOL:

I was wheel spinning in 5th @155 then into 6th I was getting grip.

I would also like to take the opportunity to say THANK YOU to Jim, Kate, Keith,Sean and Greg from JKM PERFORMANCE

Without these people I wouldn't be able to drive/build what I (we all) have.

Offline Listerofsmeg

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #445 on: March 19, 2012, 08:19:57 pm »
great car youve got there luca, i did want to come and have a chat with you but i couldnt figure out who you were!

Are you going to run it at TOTB? If so ours could be quite a good match for one another on a drier track :D

Offline luca1

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #446 on: March 19, 2012, 08:29:53 pm »
great car youve got there luca, i did want to come and have a chat with you but i couldnt figure out who you were!

Are you going to run it at TOTB? If so ours could be quite a good match for one another on a drier track :D

Likewise - we should wear name tags next time  :signLOL:

TOTB is something I would like to run in but its sooooo far North and normally the same day as FordFair at Silverstone.

I shall have a look though at the dates, I'm easily persuaded  :smiley:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #447 on: March 20, 2012, 12:32:07 am »
Found this on t'other forum

Quote from: jonnyc;145604
Hey..

So, today I was supposed to be at the MLR 30-130 event at Marham.. Unfortunately my TT wasn't going to be ready in time but I was able to convince APR to let me borrow the now infamous APR Stage 2+ Golf R for the day as a stand in which would let me have some fun on the day..

So up at the crack of dawn and up to Marham to be told that my passenger details had been lost and so he wasn't on the list, meaning that there was absolutely no way he would be allowed in, so that was that.. Left the venue after a chat with the organisers and decided to give Bruntingthorpe a call to see if I could drive across there and do my own day!!! haha..

Which got me to here.. :)

So basically thought that I may as well make the most of having the car and luckily we had a V-Box in the car too so was able to do my own testing under controlled conditions! All good..

Quick run down of the spec..

Golf R 2.0T FSI - DSG
APR Stage 2+ Software
APR HPFP
VWR Intake system
Milltek Sports-Cat Turbo back
Stock Intercooler
VWR Brakes
VWR Suspension & Bars
Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2
Gen 4 Haldex Controller

Road tyres, Shell 99 and a wet track all day..

So heres a little run down of the progress throughout the day!

The day was extremely wet from at the start, and my first run was to be expected..

Not great traction but still not a bad 0-60 time.. What I found interesting however was how slow much the surface water slowed down the car (there was A LOT though)

I waited a little longer and tried again as the rain was backing off..

Amazing how much difference a little less surface water made!

So then, I thought that there wasnt really much point trying again until it had stopped raining and once that had happened ran the next lot of runs.. The best of which being..

So a fair bit better but still a ton of wheel spin in first and second gear, so I knew there was more in it..

Waited as late as I possibly could before the next lot of rain came in, and although the track was still damp, no dry line at all, it was the most dry and grippiest that it had been all day.. Which resulted in the following!..

Launch felt just perfect, a little wheel spin in first gear due to track being wet and then hooked perfectly in second.. I think it actually helped a little as with the stock DSG software the car does bog on a grippy surface such as Santa Pod.. And also, almost no water on the track really so the car wasnt being held back in that sense..

So I was pretty pleased with that to say the least! Again, I can't stress that this is by far the fastest and most tractable 2.0T FSI that I have ever driven and these latest times show the performance pretty nicely!!..

Really a shame that I wasn't able to run the car at Marham today and have a direct comparison but maybe next time..

I think its important to note that these times are probably more representative of the true day-to-day performance of the car when compared to times at Santa Pod, due to the fact that I was able to make sure the car was nice and cool before each run, no queuing up and also on a non prepped surface meaning that the terminal speeds are not effected by excessive resistance.. (this if anything showed how much difference that makes)

All in all it ended up being a great day and just can't wait for the car to be installed with the APR Intercooler and RSC Exhaust which should open it up even more!.. When thats done I have nominated myself for a trip to Pod with the car to back things up and hopefully run an 11 second 1/4 mile on a stock K04 2.0T FSI.. (in the dry this time) haha..

Until soon..

Jc

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #448 on: March 20, 2012, 09:07:10 am »
Saw Jonny's blog on VAGOC and was good to see he had his own little 30-130 day after being let down by MLR..  :smiley:

The Golf certainly seems to shift, but unless it runs on the same strip as we all did it's pointless comparing the times IMO. As has already been said, Marham is uphill for the majority of the 30-130 run..
I was gutted to hear that he had the same problem getting in as one of my mates and that we wasn't going to see the Golf run. Would of been really interesting to see how the BM & Golf compared though considering they have identical terminal speeds at Pod..  :sad1:
Certainly wouldn't want to have a traffic light GP against it though  :surprised: Really can't compete with 4WD + LC + S-Tronic in that environment, awesome figures  :congrats:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:09:11 am by Sunglasses Ron »

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #449 on: March 20, 2012, 09:17:03 am »
I wouldnt care about what was faster if I had a 135i :love:
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no