Make a donation

Author Topic: Xmas and my son < Remote controlled  (Read 4641 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
Xmas and my son < Remote controlled
« on: November 13, 2011, 09:13:33 pm »
Hello everyone, my son wants a remote controlled helicoptor for Xmas....

Now I have been looking about but nothing seems to jump out at me. Not wanting a £500 petrol thing, simple, but good kids one.

Does anyone have experience of one? recomend one?
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ht66f5uauohf4uok9r83fnv0pg&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Xmas and my son < Remote controlled
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 09:14:20 pm »
How old is he?

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 09:15:49 pm »
10, going on 21

Mrs got him this £35 one from Toys R Us, it has to go back it looks s**t!!

No gadgets - firing rockets (they will get lost in 2 mins anyway) or onboard cameras etc.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 09:21:52 pm by Johnny_tro »
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 09:16:24 pm »
I've got a 4 channel electric one, it's best indoors but can be flown outdoor when there is no wind, £95 so cheap enough to see if he likes it etc..

I mainly use mine for annoying the cat  :happy2:

This is mine http://www.rcmods.co.uk/esky-honeybee-v2-24g-p-6766.html
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 09:21:33 pm by Beddie »

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 09:24:10 pm »
I know its best to get a 4 channel.....

Looking at that link buddy.....the blades - they are standard, does it have this stabblising feature? like the blades on this one. As I don't get the different between the two types of rotas?

http://www.rcmods.co.uk/73561b-channel-rc-helicopter-p-7562.html

Yours is classed as a beginners outdoor model?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 09:32:45 pm by Johnny_tro »

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 09:32:52 pm »
It is gyro stabilised to some degree but not to the same extent as the smaller models with the contra rotating blades, makes it slightly more challenging to fly but much more like the proper 6 channel ones, can be flown outdoor too and the training rig is a nice feature too  :happy2:

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 09:58:07 pm »
Just watched youtube clip.......

Its a good size, looks powerfull as well..........I know there not easy, but how long did it take you to get into a decent hover? only concern is him writting it off lol

1) go for your one

or

2) play safe with the: http://www.rcmods.co.uk/efly-msp190-mini-channel-rc-helicopter-24g-p-7647.html

Your (in low conditions) can be used outdoors too (bonus) mini can't

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 09:58:58 pm »
 :signLOL: already found two link to modding them.......POWER POWER POWER lol

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ht66f5uauohf4uok9r83fnv0pg&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 10:01:40 pm »
Beddie that E-SKY Honeybee  looks brilliant. Is it hard to fly?

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 10:05:50 pm »
:signLOL: already found two link to modding them.......POWER POWER POWER lol
Yeah you can mod them up quite a bit with more powerful motors and alloy rotor heads etc  :signLOL:

The one you linked will have the same flight characteristics of the bigger version as its still a single rotor design but is less powerful and physically smaller so things should happen less quickly, well hopefully...  :grin:

Spares availability if (when) he crashes are good though and relatively cheap and it's a good way to get into RC choppers before going up to collective pitch stuff and then being able to do loops and inverted flight!  :scared:

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 10:09:41 pm »
It does look good.....especially for me

Xmas morning - box opens < Woooooooow slow down son, pass it here "Let dad check it to make sure everything working OK"  :grin:

Practically < as per Rich, do you think he will pick it up pretty easy? it does look like it has good power, would you advise I go for the mini for his age?

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 10:10:46 pm »
Beddie that E-SKY Honeybee  looks brilliant. Is it hard to fly?

It's a little bit harder to master than the £25 3 channel ones you can get but the only difference is the size and speed and with a 4 channel you add the abilty to move sideways  :smiley:

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 10:12:46 pm »
It does look good.....especially for me

Xmas morning - box opens < Woooooooow slow down son, pass it here "Let dad check it to make sure everything working OK"  :grin:

Practically < as per Rich, do you think he will pick it up pretty easy? it does look like it has good power, would you advise I go for the mini for his age?

I'd say the mini will be easier to handle given his age and a good bit cheaper should he get bored by boxing day lol!

How about a father son combo present, get him the mini and you get the V2  :grin:

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 10:17:19 pm »
 :signLOL: Father son - wont happen buddy, he will want mine lol

Just been looking at the KD450s  :drool: :drool: Now thats POWER  :drool:

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 10:27:43 pm »
My advice would be get a one with the gyro blades on, I got one without and it's super hars for a first one.

I also used to have an Aerobird R/C plane, again I found it very hard.

Make sure you have lots of spares and lots of patience :signLOL:

Matt
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........