Make a donation

Author Topic: MK6 GTI or ED35  (Read 18138 times)

Offline too hot

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
MK6 GTI or ED35
« on: November 14, 2011, 08:59:00 pm »
 :happy2:

Having found myself in a rather enviable position of being in the market for a new car :confused:
What should I go for?? Shortlisted are ED35 or standard MK6 GTI
I have decided to go down the road of 3dr and DSG,apart from that not much else on the specs appeal to me!
I have been on the VW website configurator and find there is not much difference price wise.
However the ED35 seems to have a slightly better spec !!
I have never driven a DSG car and look forward to the prospect this weekend!!!
I would probably go for retrofit RNS510 and rear camera,the VW spec list prices are unbelievable in comparison to prices on here!!
Anyone got any thoughts on whats the best option from a tuning point or any other suggestions on what to consider when looking??
Any idea how long it takes from ordering to getting the keys???
Would I be looking at March next year for delivery??( I know ask my dealer but maybe someone here will know delivery times?)

2014 White 3dr S3 Stronic

Offline RENNTAG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 23
  • Premium Performance Parts
    • Email
Re: MK6 GTI or ED35
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 09:06:21 pm »
ED35 no question, its just better  :happy2:

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 09:20:08 pm »
The Ed35 engine is the older EA113 engine. Basically it's a Mk5 engine with a bigger turbo (or an Ed30/S3/TT-S/Golf .:R engine). The standard GTI has the all-new EA888 engine (some people call it the "TSI engine" but it's fitted to the TT, A4/5 and new A3 and they say TFSI on the back so calling it "TSI"  makes no sense to me, esp when you factor in the .:R's engine cover says TSI on it - clearly it's all the same technology).

From a tuning point of view having the older engine is good because it means there are loads of products out there for you. The down side is that it's a bit less refined and the fuel economy isn't as good.

If I had the choice I'd get an Ed35 any day. But either way I'd be budgeting for a set of wheels and some Weitec coilovers before I drove it anywhere!

Lucky you btw, have fun making the choice!
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 09:47:00 pm »
If only we had tuners across here in the UK to provide suitable software for the TSI engine upgraded with a k04 turbo. It easly beats the best FSI engine stage 2+ output plus it's a cheap upgrade as you don't need different injectors or hpfp.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline GLIDN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 09:48:09 pm »
This is a very interesting question,

I have spoken to many people about this exact question.

The biggest thing you need to ask yourself is ,

Are you going to keep it standard and never remap or add performance?

Do you want a unique car ?

Do you want the hassle and crap that comes with owning an FSI engine?
I own a MK5 FSI I know the on going labour of love called maintenance. I do all my own.

The reason I ask these question are as follows.

The older engine has already been brought up. so I'll give that one a miss. But more so in the technology behind it.

FSI Engine - Camshaft wear and replacement and worry if it wears through causing big repair bill. (hassle whilst in VW warranty) does not respond as well to performance mods compared to same mods on TSI engine.

All power figures are qouted at the wheel, from what I have read and based on and speaking to tuners.

Lets take the K04 as the basis here,

ED35 - what makes 230HP standard? do intake, Exhaust, Fuel pump, remap and you are around the 320-340hp state. Then you have to check camshaft regularly more so than every oil change. Cost of Fuel pump is around £1000 and then camshaft bucket however many during the ownership.

MK6 GTI TSI - if we use the APR K04 upgrade kit. It's a bolt on affair. with exhaust and intake, you already at 366-370hp. You get better mileage. no worry about upgrading the fuel pump nor any worries with camshaft bucket maintenance and constant replacement. Overall I think you would end up with a much more enjoyable car long term.

Looks Department

To be honest, The ED35 does not look that much different between the two. other than wheels headlights and R tail-lights. easily retro-fitted.
I have forgotten about the electronic diff feature the ED35 has that the GTI does not. Brakes are the same and chassis is the same.

These are only my own points of view on the two cars. I spent a long time debating over these two. Once I found the APR TSI K04 kit and power it makes. I was sold.

If this question was between a MK5 GTI and MK5 ED30. Hands down I would choose the ED30 every day of the week.

I am also taking the cost of the cars into factor here in NZ. There is a $10000NZ - $15000NZ difference between GTI and ED35. So that gap easily would make up for the K04 kit with hopefully some change to buy a burger or something. lol

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 04:15:18 pm »
ed 35, but may be biased though  :happy2:

upgrading the fuel pump seems a lot less hassle than a K04 upgrade to me, the tsfi unit is proven, for me the longevity of the tsi running that state of tune isn't yet

history has proven run out or limited edition GTIs are normally a sound proposition

Offline Bernhard30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 05:55:12 pm »
This may have been posted before about the Ed35, but was at the dealers this afternoon and asked about the 35.
As I'd read on here they confirmed no demo cars likely, which is different from Ed30. Guess in early 2007 things were different to now.
Then while looking at his pc screen, which he'd swung round for me to see too, for 35 info, I saw only 200 uk cars allocated for 2012 and a further 600 planned for 2013, salesman didn't know that limited run before pointing it out either.
So if they keep to that plan it will be quite a rare beast.
From lusting after a 4WD R, the rarity of a 35 has suddenly got my attention. Oh dear...could be expensive.
The Golf brochure now has 35 in it btw..

Offline too hot

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 06:25:03 pm »
This may have been posted before about the Ed35, but was at the dealers this afternoon and asked about the 35.
As I'd read on here they confirmed no demo cars likely, which is different from Ed30. Guess in early 2007 things were different to now.
Then while looking at his pc screen, which he'd swung round for me to see too, for 35 info, I saw only 200 uk cars allocated for 2012 and a further 600 planned for 2013, salesman didn't know that limited run before pointing it out either.
From lusting after a 4WD R, the rarity of a 35 has suddenly got my attention. Oh dear...could be expensive.

Interesting I was unaware that the ED35 was in limited numbers having read a fair bit on it recently Vw don`t make any mention of it being limited!!
Did he give any ideas as to delivery times ??

Thanks for the info re-the TSI and TFSI engine I didn`t know  that there were tuning issues.

I had planned on maybe a remap but nothing really dramatic,ED35 is still favourite at the moment :love:

Offline Bernhard30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 11:51:46 pm »
Indeed I seem to recall reading in some reviews that Ed35 was not going to be a 'limited edition' just a normal production model between GTi and R. But as read on the VW screen this afternoon, it's 800 at most for the UK.

Delivery times for this were not mentioned, but I didn't ask to be honest.

Been pouring over the brochure though this evening...

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 11:58:21 pm »

is that due to the fact that they can't actually supply any more than that due to factory capacity tho? i imagine they build 10 bluemotions for every GTI, and 100 for every Ed35 lol
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Bernhard30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 12:13:01 am »
I'd imagine that 800 might just be it for the 35.
The info I saw took us through the next two year prod runs.
And I'm just guessing but by 2014 Golf V11 GTi will be out by then won't it?

The way petrol turbo cars are looked at these days and the world obsessed by diesel mpg/CO2 they'll probably soon be making 5000 Bluemotions per Gti.

Offline Dario

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
  • booosting... :)
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 01:32:47 am »
later 08 ,my09 TFSI engines in Mk5 gti/cupra/edition/rs etc etc are cured of all problems ,also it applyes on the 10/11 edition,R engine

REVO ST2+ Edition30 -sold

soon 2015 Golf R :)

Offline Haz1

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 02:32:49 am »
ED35 - what makes 230HP standard? do intake, Exhaust, Fuel pump, remap and you are around the 320-340hp state. Then you have to check camshaft regularly more so than every oil change. Cost of Fuel pump is around £1000 and then camshaft bucket however many during the ownership.

MK6 GTI TSI - if we use the APR K04 upgrade kit. It's a bolt on affair. with exhaust and intake, you already at 366-370hp. You get better mileage. no worry about upgrading the fuel pump nor any worries with camshaft bucket maintenance and constant replacement. Overall I think you would end up with a much more enjoyable car long term.

However replacing the K04 turbo of the EA113 with a hybrid version will take the power figures to near 370-380 bhp. If you use a GT3076 turbo, that's a different ball game.

Offline GLIDN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 05:05:12 am »

However replacing the K04 turbo of the EA113 with a hybrid version will take the power figures to near 370-380 bhp. If you use a GT3076 turbo, that's a different ball game.

I'm all for it, the only issue I have with the FSI engine is the Camshaft Fuel pump design. It's honestly the only bad thing I can say about the MK5,Golf R and ED35.

WIGIT - Again I can understand your concern of reliability. But I have been following the APR race cars for most of this year. The have come first and second consistently.
             The came first overall. Still running original TSI engine and still going strong. Surely that is proof enough on reliability?

I can see everyone's point of view, and honestly I think if it came down to it. If I had to choose the car for what it is and leave it at that. I too would take the ED35.

Offline too hot

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 09:45:15 pm »
Good knowledge guys and good advice.
Will be heading to the local dealers at the weekend,so may have some answers then.
Have to be honest and can`t wait to try a DSG car for the first time :confused:
Could be an expensive weekend!!!!!!