Make a donation

Author Topic: Snow Foam help  (Read 3978 times)

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 9
Snow Foam help
« on: November 18, 2011, 08:00:17 am »
Fellas I'm after a bit of advice.
  I'm going to get a nilfisk C110 pressure washer and also the heavy duty snoe foam lance from autobrite.  Being as I've never snow foamed the car before what is the best snow foam?  I've done some reading on various types and some can strip wax off however this is not want I want.  What is the best process do you rinse the car first or is snow foaming the first stage?  In winter for a quick clean would it be sufficient to snow foam then rinse and dry?  Are there any tips for snow foaming? is how much to put in the bottle, how long to leave it on, what happens if I leave it on too long?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
Re: Snow Foam help
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 08:50:03 am »
I have used Valet Pro PH Neutral Snow Foam and Chemical Guys Maxi Suds, preferring the former, but only marginally. I generally put 4 caps of it in the bottle.

I wouldn't recommend just snow foaming, rinsing and drying because the snow foam won't remove all the dirt. I normally spray foam on as the first step and let it dwell while I get the rest of my gear out. I'll then rinse it before the shampoo stage.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 08:57:39 am »

When it's mucky I;

Rinse > snow foam (let it dwell for 5 - 10 mins) > rinse > Snow foam (wash with mitt rinse) > two bucket clean. > rinse

Probably ott but I enjoy it  :smiley:

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 09:04:03 am »
Not sure of the brand I have. It's cherry snow foam. I bought 5L over a year ago and I've still got over 3/4 left  :confused:

I put 10-15mm in the 1L lance bottle and top up with water.

Normally get 6 blankets of foam per bottle.

As Andrew said cover the car, let it dwell for 5mins+ and it will soak into the dirt, then good rinse.
Then cover with foam again and then wash car using 2bucket method and good quality mittens (again I use a cap full of snow foam in a bucket of hot water)

Then rinse the car and then dry using some dwarfs bath towels  :wink: (autoperfection super plush drying towels)

You can spray on a drying aid spray to give the paint a shine before drying if u want! I use Meguires Ultimate Detail Spray :happy2:

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 10:30:17 am »
Then cover with foam again and then wash car using 2bucket method and good quality mittens (again I use a cap full of snow foam in a bucket of hot water)

Do you use the snow foam to wash the car?

@ANDREWPARKER have the tried Autobrite Magifoam?

Cheers for all the help so far  :happy2:

Andy

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 10:40:34 am »

Do you use the snow foam to wash the car?

@ANDREWPARKER have the tried Autobrite Magifoam?

Cheers for all the help so far  :happy2:

Andy

I am currently using it and will get a pic in 10 mins :happy2:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 12:30:35 pm »
Struggled to get a good foam today, my lance is spraying a mist from one of the joints so could probably do with servicing.

Ussually get a thicker foam. There was 2 or three inch left in the bottle so I put a cap of snow foam in and diluted to the top.  I should've just used what was left and made up a fresh bottle.

How do people have the dial and nozzle set? (auto perfection lance)

I rinsed off and washed 2 bucket method with chemical guys citrus wash

the pics dont do it justice to be honest, in the flesh for a quick wash it looks ace :)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 01:29:01 pm by Tfsi_Mike »

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 01:53:45 pm »
Still looks good on the photos to me  :happy2:

Andy

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 02:09:41 pm »
I have the nilfisk washer and autobrite lance, i put PH to zero on the lance and adjust the spray pattern to give a nice wide angle. The PH (amount of water vs foam) you use does depend on water pressure but have a play, start at 0 and keep adding water until you find it doesnt foam but turns watery, then you know ypu have gone too far.

I use magifoam, found it to be the best for 'sticking' for long periods. 

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 02:14:30 pm »
Make sure you get the correct fitting for the lance. Autobrite's own Magifoam is one of the better ones, which I've just bought. Foams very well compared to Valet Pro PH neutral stuff, though not convinced it has a superior cleaning action (it's a black car!).

I only rinse if there's huge chunks of mud everywhere, otherwise snowfoam clings better to a dry car. No problems in snowfoaming and rinsing but I wouldn't towel-dry without a 2BM wash. I did this last year - weekly snowfoam and rinse, with 2BM washes every 2-3 weeks (given the weather at the time).

I pour the snowfoam into the lance bottle until there's about an inch or two of snowfoam and then top up with hot (not boiling) water. Leave it on too long and it'll dry, leaving marks, some of which may not come out very easily, so ensure you rinse thoroughly.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 03:25:35 pm »
I use the £12.95 5 litre snow foam that most the online shops sell with their own name on it. http://i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/Snow_Foam_5L_1.html sell it but its exactly the same at cleanyourcar and many others.

I fill the bottle with 1 inch of snow foam and top up with hot water.  This produces the following thickness with a Nilfisk 110 pressure washer.

I've tried some of the more expensive autobrite versions of snow foam but they didn't produce such a thick foam so just went back to what I know works.

If the car is really dirty add a further 1/2 inch of all purpose cleaner to the mix and it pulls loads more filth off the car.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 03:30:23 pm »

Might sound daft but although it makes an impressive foam and clings how do you find it breaks down the dirt?

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 03:47:55 pm »

Might sound daft but although it makes an impressive foam and clings how do you find it breaks down the dirt?

With a winter wash when covered in salt and mudd I always add a bit of apc to ensure everything is removed.  In 3 years I can't remember a wash where my wash mitt has been breaking through anything more than a bit of traffic film.  Never had to remove any dirt or grit from the paint with the mitt.  This is obviously the biggest cause of swirls

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 04:46:01 pm »
@ stealth when you say you only towel dry after 2BM. Could I just snow then rinse and leave to dry naturally or would I get water marks - my car is also black?  Also if I leave it on too long and get marks would a simple 2BM remove them?

Andy

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 08:53:03 pm »
Depends on the hardness of your water. The harder the water, the higher the level of calcium and hence the more prominent the water spots will be. Which means increased likelihood of etching, though I've never encountered it on my car.

To get rid of calcium, try vinegar.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.