Make a donation

Author Topic: Mattress  (Read 4552 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
Mattress
« on: November 28, 2011, 11:00:01 pm »
As per the section 'random' this is a strange one all.  :ashamed:

Replacing all the mattress - 3 beds. All doubles.

Anyway, basically looking at these memory foam ones, can anyone advise.....

- Best thing to look for? (as they vary soooo much)

- A good place to buy?

Cheeeer all
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
Re: Mattress
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 11:06:30 pm »
Have u had memory foam mattresses before?

I bought one and I hated it! Had 1 month of real bad back ache before I bought a new mattress.

Quality Pocket sprung everytime now for me  :happy2:

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 11:10:20 pm »
Never had one buddy, but felt nice in the shop........a certain shop (no names) are asking stupid money for them! Always brought a bed and mattress, but beds cost me £££ so just want mattress now.

Quality P/sprung < This springs?

Want 3 lol so looking for a deal
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline keano

• Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 11:13:32 pm »
You need a pocket sprung one. You wont get them pinging into your back in a few years time & they also hold their structure very well.

Something the salesman showed me was that you can have your wife/ girlfriend/ boyfriend laid at one side of the bed and if you jump on the otherside, it wont bounce them about.

Also, make sure you get one with a nice big guarantee.   :happy2:

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 11:17:36 pm »
Just to confirm 'Its a girlfriend' well GF of 12 years  :grin:

Looking now, massive choice.

Do I just go pocket sprung, thats it? as there are also pocket sprung WITH top layer of memory foam?

What size/thickness you packing? lol have you gone the FULL 10" thick ones? and should I look at 1000 pockets? or really have you got to go FULL on 2000 pockets?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:23:26 pm by Johnny_tro »

Offline keano

• Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 11:26:00 pm »
We've got about 3" of memory foam on ours  :ashamed:  :grin: We went for the firmer one due to my bad back, but its horses for courses.

The only way you'll know what to get, is to try it out bud. I'm sure your boygirlfriend will agree.  :P

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 11:28:33 pm »
TRUST << SHE has told ME just to sort it  :scared:

You have Sprung + 3" Foam - Double? mind me asking rough price?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:30:15 pm by Johnny_tro »

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • Global Ruler
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 11:34:32 pm »
Well I'm not sure if they fit UK beds but I can highly recommend Ikea pocket sprung mattresses  :happy2:

I think I've got a "hagavik" or something like that and I love it  :happy2:

It was between £250-£300 I think, so a good price  :wink:

I've had £700+ individual pocket sprung mattresses in the last house. It that had 2000ish  pockets etc which was amazing, and you do get what you pay for, but i seriously think the ikea ones are well worth the money!

Do your homework cos you might find a mattress at £999 online and its £499 at Argos.

Just make sure you try em! I def recommend Med-Firm or even Firm   :happy2:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 11:36:03 pm »
I developed a bad back a few years back  :indifferent: so thought i would treat myself to a Tempur one. I got very lucky in a e-bay sale and ended up with a top of the range Hollywood jobbie thingy which ( when i get to sleep on it  :fighting: ) is just amazing for comfort, gets a bit hot in the summer but it is epic in terms of comfort.
On a similar note has anybody come across these guys selling the dodgy ones out of the back of a transit. They come up and say ' would you like to buy a matress, we are the delivery guys and the buyer doesn't want it anymore.  :rolleye:  It has happened to me twice now and i hardly walk the streets, i am guessing they are just cheap copies.   :wink:

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 11:41:26 pm »
Men - Vans - Warehouses << Few of these about, and this is what puts me off Ebay a little. There are sooo many fakes about its scary. Pocket sprung, yea right more like 'they hit your pocket' ! Buy dodgey/cheap, buy twice!!

Ikea < So I'm aware the mattress sizes are specific to there beds (Sizes) they are not UK std Sizes.

Will go 'free style bed jumping tomorrow'  :grin:

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • Global Ruler
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 04:47:46 am »
Argos is quite a good place for deals, although you can't try the mattresses first.

Have a look at this page. You should be able to find 3 decent ones here.....you could always get something like the, "Rest Assured Clarke 2000Pkt Orthopaedic Double Mattress" half price at £449 for your bed, and some cheaper ones for the other rooms  :wink:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Browse/ID72/14418238/c_1/1|category_root|Home+and+furniture|14417894/c_2/2|14417894|Mattresses|14418237/c_3/3|cat_14418237|Double+mattresses|14418238/r_001/5|Mattress+construction|Pocket+sprung|1.htm

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 06:50:24 am »
Whatever you do steer well clear of Bensons for Beds.

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 08:16:03 am »
Not cheap but the latex matresses are very supportive plus you can get them with an adjustable base to alter the hardness/softness...   :smiley:
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 08:18:43 am »

Why is that then?

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 09:39:08 am »

Why is that then?

We have had two mattresses from Bensons for Beds in the past year. The first one was bought for the guest room when we moved house. A few months after that we bought another mattress from them for our own bed. Unfortunately we ordered the wrong size. It's a long story but we bought our bed and mattress many years ago from Habitat, and didn't realise it was a European size. However, the delivery driver said it was incorrect and because of that he did not unwrap it from it's sealed packaging. He said we could exchange it easily. When we called Bensons they said that was possible but we'd have to pay 20% of the purchase price as a restocking fee, which meant a charge of over £150 just to exchange it. That mattress is sat in our attic gathering dust.

The guest bedroom mattress developed a fault shortly after, collapsing completely on one side. This was with very little use. We were then presented with the problem that we could not get a comparable replacement for the value we paid at the time. Nevertheless we settled on a substitute for a higher value, and where then told there was a delivery fee! So although they were bound by their guarantee to replace the faulty product, they still charged me delivery fees to do so. When I expressed my bemusement at this I was reminded that I should count myself lucky that I got such a good deal in the first place. It then transpired that the mattress should have been vacuum packed when it was delivered, so basically the first one they sold me was the display item.

Their general attitude during the whole saga was shocking - they simply didn't want to help.

We eventually bought the Sultan Haslum mattress from Ikea which has been superb.