Make a donation

Author Topic: Tracing Service History?  (Read 1696 times)

Offline billy187

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
Tracing Service History?
« on: November 29, 2011, 08:48:05 pm »
The last owner off my car lost the complete files for the car so i have no service history other than what i have had done myself.

Is it possible for VW to check and provide this even if i dont know which VW garage it has been serviced at?

Any advice is appreciated.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
Re: Tracing Service History?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 08:58:35 pm »
If it was serviced at VW they can tell you what was done and when and by which garage, as long as the car is on the system, if it was done privately you wont find anything.
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline robby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 08:58:42 pm »
Providing all the previous services were done at main dealers then their computers will be linked - your local dealer should be able to print off the history

If any work was done at indies then that will be untraceable

Offline billy187

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 09:03:04 pm »
Thanks,

Yep i was hoping their system would be linked so thats a good sign, the car doesnt have too high mileage at the moment and i have just had the major service done on it so even if i could find out about the first couple of services it had in its life it would help.

Guess il give my local dealer a ring tomorrow.

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 09:05:41 pm »
you didnt just take the last owners word for it that it had been serviced regular and on time did you???

Offline billy187

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 09:08:42 pm »
you didnt just take the last owners word for it that it had been serviced regular and on time did you???

Long story mate but nope, i knew a previous owner off the car from a couple of years ago and he reassured me that the car did have a full service history up until he sold it so i was inclined to believe the seller that he had just lost it.

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 09:19:05 pm »
when i got my golf i had to contact my local dealer, i gave them my reg number and they then gave me the mileage,date and work carried out for every visit and the phone number of the dealer that done the work, i then contacted each dealer and sent them my service book in order for them to fill out and stamp, took about 4 weeks to get the book back all stamped but totally worth it
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline billymac

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 09:41:52 am »
If you are looking to verify the mileage you could use the MOT history website. If you put in your reg no and V5 reference no the site will give you a complete history of all MOT's, dates, mileages, pass/fail/resits and all advisories that have been issued since the system was computerised.

I use it all the time. Here it is.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_10020539

Offline billy187

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 11:50:52 am »
Thanks, yep i checked that before i bought the car and it all adds up. Its only had a couple of MOT's since new anyway.

Only reason im trying to find the service history now is because its time to sell.

Offline billy187

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 11:57:14 am »
Just phoned VW up and they have told me it had its 4 first services with them just local to me and they will stamp a new book up for me, that makes it pretty full history with the work i have had done so happy days.