Make a donation

Author Topic: Octavia VRS or mk5 Gti 5 door  (Read 17999 times)

Offline MitchGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
Octavia VRS or mk5 Gti 5 door
« on: November 30, 2011, 02:40:58 pm »
well its time that i feel like i need a change again and ive had the jetta nerly a year now... started down the mod route but board now so want some thing practical but has abit of go in it... so ive narrowed it down to these two the VRS which will be as big as my jetta but goes alot better and could get the pram in no problem or go for a mk5 gti again but 5 door but not sure on the boot space! also can get a better spec vrs for the same money as a mk5 gti.... hmm what to do??

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
Re: Octavia VRS or mk5 Gti 5 door
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 03:00:18 pm »
Wow, that's a difficult decision....... :grin:

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline W8 Performance

• Trader - 2014
  • Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 03:27:59 pm »
VRS if pram and boot space needed. I do prefer the look of the golf if I am honest but cost and options meant the Octavia won. Plus I have an estate Octavia and golf estates are just wrong  :sick:

Offline gizmo68

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
  • We're here for a good time, not a long time
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 03:30:38 pm »
This will not go down very well on here but here goes .... the vRS is better built than the MK5 Golf and is much more practical for a pram etc.

:innocent:
VCDS HEX-NET & VCP owner (covers all VAG cars)
(PM me if you require VCDS or VCP coding or scanning in Kent)

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 03:36:18 pm »
This will not go down very well on here but here goes .... the vRS is better built than the MK5 Golf and is much more practical for a pram etc.

:mad: I N C O M I N G !

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 03:42:59 pm »

:scared:

Offline AdeMcG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 03:44:28 pm »
well its time that i feel like i need a change again and ive had the jetta nerly a year now... started down the mod route but board now so want some thing practical but has abit of go in it... so ive narrowed it down to these two the VRS which will be as big as my jetta but goes alot better and could get the pram in no problem or go for a mk5 gti again but 5 door but not sure on the boot space! also can get a better spec vrs for the same money as a mk5 gti.... hmm what to do??

Rather a loaded question given the forum   :signLOL:

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 03:50:45 pm »
Indeed, maybe the OP should ask the same question here - http://briskoda.net/forums/forum/28-skoda-octavia-ii/  :wink:

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 20
  • Supersonic
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 04:15:12 pm »
it's a can of worms! in volkswagen owned brands the cheapest hence poorest quality would be in quality ascending order skoda-seat-volkswagen-audi-bugatti, lamborginin, bentley, porsche etc and others  :wink:

Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 04:24:11 pm »
Easy call.  Octavia all day long. 

Offline gizmo68

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
  • We're here for a good time, not a long time
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 04:27:33 pm »
it's a can of worms! in volkswagen owned brands the cheapest hence poorest quality would be in quality ascending order skoda-seat-volkswagen-audi-bugatti, lamborginin, bentley, porsche etc and others  :wink:

You would of thought so wouldn't you, but in reality that is simply not the case, maybe Skoda need to 'prove a point'? which is why their cars are consistently screwed together than the VW car they are based upon.

Speaking from personal experience, the
MKI Octavia was better then the MK4 Golf,
MKI Skoda Superb was better than the Passat B5/ B5.5
MKII Octavia is better built than the MK5 Golf
MKII Superb better than the new Passat

SWMBO owns a MK5 Golf and whilst it is a good car, it suffers from crap build quality (for a German built car) the dashboard rattles and creaks like a good 'un and I don't expect to have to rectify VW poor build quality to make it quiet(er)

It is still a good car compared to others but put it next to an equivalent spec vRS and I'm afraid it comes 2nd.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 04:31:41 pm by gizmo68 »
VCDS HEX-NET & VCP owner (covers all VAG cars)
(PM me if you require VCDS or VCP coding or scanning in Kent)

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 04:29:40 pm »

I think you'll find it goes.

Seat, Skoda, Volkswagen, Audi, Lamborghini + Porsche, Bentley

Or in other words show me a seat that is better built and uses better quality materials than the equivalent Skoda. Some would even question the VW coming before Skoda. But that is subject to good argument from both sides.

To the OP

If your concerned about space then it should be the Octavia :happy2:. If you are into badge snobbery then it needs to be the Golf  :evilgrin:

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 20
  • Supersonic
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 04:36:08 pm »
i think the build quality is very subjective..... My advice would be go with skoda for more practicality as bigger boot... although golf is very practical as well as are all hatchbacks

how does vrs handles compared to gti? I presume as it's bigger and heavier (i stand to be corrected here) handling would be compromised compared to gti???

only objective answers please
 :wink:
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 04:41:29 pm »
The golf will handle marginally better than the vRS when stock.  Neigh on identical once modded like for like though.

I for one when i was in the market drove both and just couldn't see why the golf was so much more expensive.  Also to me theGTI just looked like any other golf until up close.  The vRS looks like a vRS from any distance

Offline DMcG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 04:54:09 pm »
Get the VRS. You'll save thousands and get a newer car for the money. Given your circs you love the boot. The Vrs was the longest car I have ever owned at 3 years when most go at 18months.

Had 2 Mk5's now and whilst they look better and materials are better I have certainly had more creaks and had the dash apart in the golf, chasing about with felt tape.

Considerinf a CR Tdi Vrs to replace the R32.

Spec is the only disadvantage, very difficult to locate a Vrs with xenons and AFAIK mfsw is only available on DSG cars.