Make a donation

Author Topic: selling on ebay  (Read 1228 times)

Offline patrickcullen87

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
selling on ebay
« on: December 06, 2011, 09:18:21 pm »
looking to sell my iPhone4S on ebay, i have never sold anything on there before only bought stuff so i havent a clue.
basically all i want to know is if i put the item to auction for say 3 days...if the auction time runs out and bid is less than what i would be willing to accept would i need to just accept it or could i relist it??
Admin Notice Sig Removed - Signature images should be no bigger than 450 pixels wide x 150 pixels high

Offline Weston

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 32
Re: selling on ebay
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 09:20:58 pm »
Make sure you set a reserve price so that you're guaranteed a certain amount. Try selling it on here first, no eBay fees, no PayPal fees  :grin:
GTI going...

Offline s3dubbin

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 09:22:28 pm »
Put a reserve on it mate. If you dont want to sell it way below what its worth then you can reject all offers below your reserve, it costs you a little to do so but obviously worth it. Stevie.

Offline patrickcullen87

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 09:24:33 pm »
Put a reserve on it mate. If you dont want to sell it way below what its worth then you can reject all offers below your reserve, it costs you a little to do so but obviously worth it. Stevie.
i couldnt see anything that allowed me to put a reserve on the item?
Admin Notice Sig Removed - Signature images should be no bigger than 450 pixels wide x 150 pixels high

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 09:24:47 pm »
Ebay fees are high make sure you allow for that as i sold my iphone 3gs about a year ago and by the time ebay took there fees and paypal theres id have been better off selling it to one of the lads at work
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline patrickcullen87

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 09:36:30 pm »
Ebay fees are high make sure you allow for that as i sold my iphone 3gs about a year ago and by the time ebay took there fees and paypal theres id have been better off selling it to one of the lads at work
how do you know how much the fees are going to be??

Offline MarkMarked

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 09:52:07 pm »
You can use this to work out roughly what the fees will be http://ecal.altervista.org/en/fee_calculator/ebay.co.uk/

With a high value item like this be prepared for scammers and other lowlife to come out of the woodwork

Only send to the address listed in PayPal, send recorded

Set a minimum value (must be over £50), set a realistic min value to start the auction off

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 10:34:46 pm »
personally id just put it up at buy now with the best offer function put it £20 higher than what you actually want and people will make you offers you can accept/decline.

After ebay fees and paypal fees generally its not worth it nowadays .

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 10:41:24 pm »
Make sure you set a reserve price so that you're guaranteed a certain amount. Try selling it on here first, no eBay fees, no PayPal fees  :grin:

i bought something off a breaker once, who then cancelled the transaction after i'd paid and i'd received the item. i asked why he wanted to do this: apparently it's because he gets his fees back. as long as you've got the item and they've got the money (or vice versa) then there's no risk and you get your fees back. i'm surprised i didn't know about this earlier

tbh i'd go down to your local market and sell it to one of the guys at the phone stands. it's a lot less hassle than dealing with eBay idiots
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 11:02:36 pm »
If you do sell it in ebay remember to note the IMEI number (serial) so if the buyer reports it as "not received" and does a reverse charge through Paypal you can then phone the airtime provider and bar the phone.

I have had to three times, just not worth selling phones on ebay any more.
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 11:24:59 pm »
how do you know how much the fees are going to be??

IIRC my 3gs sold for £260 by the time id paid the listing fee and final sale fee then paypal i walked away with about £210  :sad1: also for things like phones if your doing it as an auction then go on the 1 day listing tbh no one will bid till the last 45 mins anyway
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP