Make a donation

Author Topic: Do you think?  (Read 1022 times)

Offline zoomered

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Do you think?
« on: January 11, 2012, 11:17:08 pm »
After 30 years on the road that a Mk5 will be as rusty as a Mk1?

Restoring one just now (mk1) and I reckon if the worm is such a problem for our younger friends then it will be a much harder job! I can strip everything off the bottom of the car in no time, nothing complicated.

Can't imagine restoring a mk5, do you think people will in years to come?

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Do you think?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 11:21:12 pm »
A true enthusiast would but the majority of people won't bother. Rust will be dealt with in the usual manner - chuck the car away, ignore, repair, or eradicate and futureproof.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
Re: Do you think?
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 09:00:06 am »
I think well maintained and loved cars will live on in the same way as the MK3 golf.  I dont think the MK5 is iconic enough to ever see them restored in the way we rebuild cars now, the tech involved will always mean that the home enthusiast will get unstuck unless they are reasonably competent at what theyre doing

theres already a huge list of cars missing from our roads which once were like a rash but now people slowly see them for the icons they were.... the MG Maestro, XR2, Renault 5 GT Turbo, Astra GTE 16v etc etc

so disposable that they were all disposed of, the MK5 will face the same i recon, i think the .:R32's will survive better than the GTi

cool topic  :happy2: