Make a donation

Author Topic: Considering going back to OE PCV  (Read 1662 times)

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
Considering going back to OE PCV
« on: January 12, 2012, 12:35:37 pm »
I have the BSH Catch Can and am considering going back to the OE PCV valve.  The main reason is because it only seems to catch fuel vapour and very very little oil gets caught.  The fluid that runs out of the tank is always clear, even after a month of not emptying it.  I am after some opinions as to whether I should or shouldnt.  Its the old do I or dont I scenario we all experience when it comes to modifying and changing things.  I read on a thread on here the following about the fitment of a catch can
 - it may have a detrimental effect on your valve stem oil seals - these are designed to be operated in an oily environment, so the catch can may be preventing one side of the seal from being lubricated - this can wear out both the seals and the actual valve guides, leading in the long term to burning more oil, loss of compression, loss of power.
Any views on the above comment

Cheers Matt
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline percy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
Re: Considering going back to OE PCV
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 07:54:56 am »
Hi mate, iwas running this system and didnt like it after only a month or so and spoke my mechanic and decided to go bak to the oempcv set up!

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 08:12:50 am »
All the clear liquid that's in the catch tank is water.  You shouldn't have a massive amount of oil and I would be worried if there was.

There will always be a fine mist of oil running through the boost system even with a catch tank, but the oil is not needed to keep the valves lubricated. Remember that on non direct injector engines the fuel and air is mixed in the inlet and cleans the valves as it enters the combustion chambers.

The only problem with the catch cans on the market is they are too small. They act as a kettle on start up and this creates the moisture build up.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 08:51:36 am »
I have the L revison pcv valve and have just noted that the latest one is a P revison. Though it says it needs to be fitted with the latest revision breather hose. Is it worth me fitting the new valves as I am going stage 3 next month or should I just stick with the one I have. Essentially what is the difference between the two now?

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 09:49:36 am »

Does the Tfsi PCV get revised monthly?  :signLOL: 

Offline TT-Turbo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 10:47:39 am »
Revision P! Blimey I was going to order Revision L this week, glad I didn't!

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 11:48:39 am »
- it may have a detrimental effect on your valve stem oil seals - these are designed to be operated in an oily environment, so the catch can may be preventing one side of the seal from being lubricated - this can wear out both the seals and the actual valve guides, leading in the long term to burning more oil, loss of compression, loss of power.
Any views on the above comment

Cheers Matt

How the catch can would remove oil from a valve stem oil seal is a mystery to me  :signLOL:  This is how a stem seal works:

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 12:27:14 pm »

Does the Tfsi PCV get revised monthly?  :signLOL: 

More like daily lol. I wonder how many more revisions there will be as I thought the L revision fixed the issues surrounding the PCV