Make a donation

Author Topic: Updating front bumper GT TDI 2004  (Read 7987 times)

Offline smokey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
    • Club night in Bristol - Drama
    • Email
Updating front bumper GT TDI 2004
« on: January 14, 2012, 02:46:50 pm »
Hiya Guys

I've seen a few posts on bumper upgrades and i would like to change the bumper on my car to the newer GT one.
As my car is an actual GT i don't see this as pretending my car is something its not!

I know if i bought a OEM GTI bumper it would not fit properly unless i get the rquired supporting bracket for it. Is this the case with the newer GT ones too?

i've seen some 3rd part ones which say will fit without any modification has anyone got any experience with doing this?

Thanks

2004 GT TDI 2.0 (140bhp) - Mods so far - GTI pedals, GTI Interior Metal Strips, GTI Metal Ashtray, Gear Knob with metal surround, TPMS (with switch), RNS-510, Skoda bluetooth kit, Armrest MDI, VCDS owner (Bristol)

Offline martinbickley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Updating front bumper GT TDI 2004
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 08:47:26 pm »
As far as i'm aware the newer GT and GTi bumpers are the same, the only difference is the Grills.

I'm in the process of updating mine at the moment and have decided instead of changing the carrier/slam panel to cut away a small part of the bumper to make it fit.

I'm doing this as it will be easier to go back to standard when I sell the car.

I'm not exactly sure which bits need to be cut as i'm still waiting to get my bumper sprayed.  Think its a bit of trial and error but i'm gonna use this as a guide: -

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/410565.aspx?PageIndex=2

If your going to go with the proper way then there is loads of info here about doing it: -

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=67969.0

Hope this helps.

Martin

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 08:56:33 pm »
I've done and I've do a how to guide for it, will post a link up when I'm on the laptop
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline smokey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 12:37:06 am »
That would be great if you could.

I'm either thinking get a 3rd party bumper which fits to the current slam panel or cut the bumper.

But Phil if you could post your guide that would be great!

2004 GT TDI 2.0 (140bhp) - Mods so far - GTI pedals, GTI Interior Metal Strips, GTI Metal Ashtray, Gear Knob with metal surround, TPMS (with switch), RNS-510, Skoda bluetooth kit, Armrest MDI, VCDS owner (Bristol)

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 07:57:21 am »
smokey if i was you stay away from the third party bumpers, you'd be much much better off getting an original bumper and cutting it, not much cutting involved tbh, you can pickup the bumper skins quite cheap on ebay if you keep an eye out and dont mind travelling a bit/waiting for the right ones to pop up, usually for less than 50 quid

its definitely a mod worth doing!

:happy2:

MK6 GT TDI  - CW - LUX pack
GONE
MkV Golf 1.9TDI Sport in DBP, 160,000 miles and climbing!

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...

Offline G-Lader

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 08:02:22 am »
I'm sure the threaded section where your towing eye threads in is different from early to late models.
So if you fit a late bumper to an early front panel / bumper bar and you need to be towed you'll be fecked as the tow point on the late bumper will thread into fresh air!!!

I changed the front on my wife's Golf and it's not too difficult, just a bit time consuming.
Makes a huge difference though, well worth doing it right IMHO.

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 11:10:04 pm »
That would be great if you could.

I'm either thinking get a 3rd party bumper which fits to the current slam panel or cut the bumper.

But Phil if you could post your guide that would be great!

Here is a link to my thread on another site http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?103751-GTI-Front-bumper
everything you need is in there bud, cant copy and past the pics aswell and TBH the pics help to explain it all, also my tow eye is useable aswell mate
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack

Offline martinbickley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 11:22:01 pm »
Phil,

Thanks for the post.

Am I correct that the only parts which need cutting are the ones I've marked below? (Apologies for the poor marking)

Thanks

Martin

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 12:33:36 am »
Phil,

Thanks for the post.

Am I correct that the only parts which need cutting are the ones I've marked below? (Apologies for the poor marking)

Thanks

Martin

hi Martin
thats the only parts that need cutting, the way i done it was to offer it up and then cut a little at a time and offer it up again, that way you dont cut to much away, it sounds alot harder than it is TBH, if you want any more pics im sure ive got some somewhere i will post them up if you want mate?

Offline martinbickley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 10:15:35 am »
hi Martin
thats the only parts that need cutting, the way i done it was to offer it up and then cut a little at a time and offer it up again, that way you dont cut to much away, it sounds alot harder than it is TBH, if you want any more pics im sure ive got some somewhere i will post them up if you want mate?

If you have some more detailed pictures that would be great.

Am I correct that you need to cut part of the GT grill as well?

Thanks

Martin

Offline smokey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 11:43:01 am »
This cutting route does look simple enough to do, just to check though will i be able to acess the front tow point though?

I keep reading that its an issure?!

Thanks

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 07:42:10 pm »
This cutting route does look simple enough to do, just to check though will i be able to acess the front tow point though?

I keep reading that its an issure?!

Thanks

My tow eye lines up find mate, no worries on that  :happy2:

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 07:43:23 pm »
hi Martin

If you have some more detailed pictures that would be great.

Am I correct that you need to cut part of the GT grill as well?

Thanks

Martin

Hi Martin i fitted the GTI grill and it fitted spot on, i didnt have to cut it at all mate

will have a look for some more pics and post them up on here mate :happy2:

Offline martinbickley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 12:50:46 am »

Hi Martin i fitted the GTI grill and it fitted spot on, i didnt have to cut it at all mate

will have a look for some more pics and post them up on here mate :happy2:

Phil,

Did you manage to find any more pictures?

Thanks

Martin

Offline Rhino

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 08:56:18 pm »
i bought this bumper about 4 years ago for my  car, never knew ya had to cut a bit out?
mines never fitted properly since day 1!
wish i knew that before.
not worth cutting it now cos i crashed into a lump of ice last xmas and smashed the bottom of the bumper off