Make a donation

Author Topic: do you ................................  (Read 6644 times)

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
do you ................................
« on: January 18, 2012, 08:50:38 pm »
..........pull in directly if front of a lorry while leaving a motorway or dual carriageway???

sorry for the odd question, but i am a lorry driver and am intrigued as to why car drivers do this, i can be running at a total weight 44t and obviously it will not stop in as some people must think it will. Cars pulling in directly in front of me and braking hard is something i have to deal with quite a few times a day and for the life of me i cant understand it, i have seen the aftermath of a car getting rear ended by an HGV and trust me, its a scary site. Alot of the time this happens i have absolutely nothing behind me but coming past the last exit marker cars start diving into gaps like kamikaze pilots that arent there, i leave a large gap between me and the vehicle in front but the space just gets swallowed up by cars whose driver have a death wish i think.

i just wanted to ask if anyone does it and if so why??? its not like they are gaining much time ar anything so its a pretty pointless exercise but has high consequences if traffic comes to a sudden halt.

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
Re: do you ................................
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 08:53:17 pm »
I don't own a BMW.....so no....I don't  :innocent:

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 08:56:11 pm »
I don't own a BMW.....so no....I don't  :innocent:

:signLOL: like it, great reply. i was also going to say, its very rarely a GTI does it but BMW's :fighting: :fighting:

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 09:01:55 pm »
I've known a few truck drivers (a lot of my older friends still are) and may have been lucky with the advice given to me by them.

I always try and think of the HGV driver's next step - have never pulled in front of one to slam on the anchors, nor do I get up beside one on a roundabout!

Many years ago my mate had a (new at the time) mk4 Golf get up beside him on a roundabout, and it got stuck under the trailer. He wasn't even aware he dragged it 1/4 of a mile until he wondered why everyone was flashing and pointing at him!
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 09:03:29 pm »
I don't but I see alot of it when driving and think people need more training about other types of vehicles and be aware of the space they need to brake and manoeuvre.

I think my awareness has something to do with my dad being a HGV driver and growing up around them and listening to him moan about said muppets lol. I've also driven an artic albeit around an airfield but showed how much room is needed amongst other things.

So I tend to have better awareness for the space they need or for things like not coming to a complete standstill when fully loaded as its a pain to get going again etc and if I can move lanes or do something to make a drivers life easier I will. I just seem to get more thank you's when I'm in the van compared to the car lol

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 09:07:59 pm »
I always try and think of the HGV driver's next step - have never pulled in front of one to slam on the anchors, nor do I get up beside one on a roundabout!

The amount of times I've seen that and then seen them slam the anchors on when the trailer shuts the door lol.

Other ones are when there's road works to make 2 lanes to 1 and they try and beat the truck into them even when the cones are comin into the lane. My dad said he gives them the option to slow down and go behind or count the cones :evilgrin:

But my dad always says even tho 90% of the time they are not in the wrong they still get all the abuse from the car drivers even on single carriageways when they are restricted

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 09:10:05 pm »
No I keep a wide berth from HGV's as I'm never quite sure when they may change lanes!  :scared:

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 09:14:51 pm »
No, I don't either.  I've got an HGV license and I've also been cut out of a car by the Fire Brigade that an articulated truck had rolled onto - I do not recommend that situation to anyone ever! 
I think car drivers need educating about trucks and stuff.

Offline Leonard

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 09:18:06 pm »
Normally I am very good, but did almost get caught out the other day as myself and another car slipped in front of a lorry before our exit. Would have been fine apart from car in front braked to about 30mph to take a 120 degree bend! I was almost pushing it up the slip road.

So apologies for that one.

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 09:19:01 pm »
your following some good advice there lads,  but for everyone car that follows your advice, another 100 will do the opposite. i can get days where it will be great and everyone is sensible and others where it seems like alot of people have a deathwish. 1 of our drivers had a car pull in front of him and slam his brakes on, the guy tried to put in a big personal injury claim, but someone seen the accident but didnt stop and spotted the "police witness signs the next day" and came forward to say what had happened and the car driver got prosecuted for driving without due care and attention. after that incident we now have road hawk systems fitted on out trucks, some of the things we get on them would totally blow your mind, total madness :surprised:

Offline Leonard

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 09:24:16 pm »
after that incident we now have road hawk systems fitted on out trucks, some of the things we get on them would totally blow your mind, total madness :surprised:

I bet!!!!!!  :laugh:

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 09:27:43 pm »
I do drive a BMW and to answer your question no I don't, do you as a truck driver sit up my arse when I'm doing 50 in roadworks with average speed cameras? This is something that I see on a daily basis and Proper gets on my nerves as obviously cars pulling in front of trucks does you.
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 09:32:08 pm »
Yeh lets not pretend all HGV drivers are saints!! 

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 09:37:07 pm »
I do drive a BMW and to answer your question no I don't, do you as a truck driver sit up my arse when I'm doing 50 in roadworks with average speed cameras? This is something that I see on a daily basis and Proper gets on my nerves as obviously cars pulling in front of trucks does you.

do i sense a touch of anger in your reply, or am i just reading too much into it??

no, i dont sit up a cars arse when your doing 50 in roadworks, i dont have to, as a BMW always sits in the middle lane even when the nearside is clear, so i can just sail on up the inside :P

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 09:39:30 pm »
Yeh lets not pretend all HGV drivers are saints!! 

I'm sure truck drivers see all sorts of terrible driving and drivers and people don't realise how long it would take to stop one of them rascals............. but I do see some questionable driving from HGV drivers, I know they need to keep momentum up etc but putting the indicator on does not automatically create a space for them to pull into, but it doesn't stop them pulling out :smiley:

O and lets not forget the truck going 0.1mph faster than the other overtaking on a dual carriageway  :laugh: