Make a donation

Author Topic: Exhaust question..  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Upperoilcan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
Exhaust question..
« on: January 21, 2012, 01:31:23 pm »
Can someone please tell me what the differences are with Exhaust systems..

I have a MK5 GTI with a stage 1 R-Tech Custom map,an i ve been looking at various exhaust systems to replace my OEM one,but im baffled as to what i should buy..

What is the difference between a sport back and a cat back ???????

At the present i have no plans to take the car to Stage 2 but am not ruling it out for the future..

What system do i require as is ?

(Sorry for the Noddy questions but i aint no mechanic). :signLOL:

Offline gazon69

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
Re: Exhaust question..
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 02:59:00 pm »
A cat back is where the standard downpipe and cat are retained and the rest of the system fits up to it. Turbo back will see the down pipe removed and replaced by either a decat pipe which is just a pipe from the turbo to the rest of the exhaust, or you can get a race cat which replaces standard and is much more free flowing. Its down to personal preferance to which you have. You will need down pipe to go stage 2. Cat back will not give much in the way of gains although less restrictive but will give a nicer sound. There is also resonated or non resonated, where res is with an added box or non res is straight pipe instead of front box on gti's hope this helps

Offline Powervalve Nige

• Trader - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 84
  • -Receive: 76
  • Don't get angry, get a beter argument
    • POWERVALVE
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 03:15:35 pm »
Hi there

Great question.

The exhaust system should be able to fulfil 4 basic principals...

1) Increase the performance and the performance potential of the car
2) Improve the sound  quality of the car
3) Be an up grade optically with regard to the tail pipe style
4) Should be supplied with a lifetime guarantee (If stainless) that can be backed up

There are many brands that claim to fulfil these promises, but ultimately the 'proof of the pudding.....' as they say.
Performance can be measured, but the sound and look have to be discerned and are therefore far more subjective qualities. Fortunately the forum members are able to add credibility or complaint to a particular brand by providing direct feedback and consumer reviews after purchasing and fitting.

For me personally it boils down to the passion that has been expended in the design and development of a product. Has it been extensively tested, does it leave you with a feeling of "Yes that was the right choice", or "it's okay but I just wished....."

Very often a brand can start out with a clear vision as to it's market, its product and customer requirements, but somewhere in the mix and as time goes by and complacency sets in, passion can be replaced by formula and economic need.

Of course the final consideration has to be the cost. Again it's easy to be drawn into the notion that if something 'costs the most' it must 'be the best'.
Here it's once again a case of do your research thoroughly first, and satisfy yourself that you made the right choice.

In summary the world of performance stainless steel exhaust systems should always be (IMHO) considered as a niche product type which contains within it's DNA something of the character of the man who designed and manufactured it. Along with an absolute desire to strive for excellence, for in the final analysis we are all measurable by our efforts in what we do and the mark we leave on the people we come across as we journey through life.

You could of course just stick with the standard VW system and save the money. But then.......

Cheers
Nige
BCS Automotive
 :happy2:

Offline Upperoilcan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 04:00:37 pm »
Thanks for the replies gents...

So basically i can have a Decat pipe as i do not need a Race pipe as im not at stage 2.

But cannot have a Race back on the car with a stage 1 ????

And further more ive ben told that i might need a back box as it has a slight blow,can i just get a rear section and bolt it onto the existing OEM down pipe...which will see no gains in power  but will make the car sound different ?

Again sorry for the questions,but im no car buff :smiley:

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 04:12:42 pm »
No. You dont need a decat. You only need a decat or race cat if you are going stage 2-2+. also forgot to mention a decat wont pass an mot. Just go with a cat back for stage 1 keeping your standard down pipe. Its your preference, i am giving advice on what i would do if i was going stage 1. P.s you dont even need an exhaust for stage 1 anyway

Offline Powervalve Nige

• Trader - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • POWERVALVE
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 04:23:51 pm »
If the car is running on the stock map then as previously mentioned there is little in the way of power gains to be had, it's all about sound quality and look.
Once the stock down pipe is removed and replaced with either a 76mm downpipe and hi flow cat or a 76mm down pipe and de cat (no cat included) the car will begin to respond noticeably, even on the stock settings.
At this point pipe diameters don't come into the discussion as the ecu only allows the turbo to produce a given output which reaches it's optimum point at a tube diameter of 70mm, which is generally the normal offering for most manufacturers producing systems for the VAG 2.0 TFSi engined cars. However, once the cars are remapped to Stage Two ad beyond, then the bore diameter starts to come into play, this is where 76mm bore diameters start to improve exhaust gas through put considerably, especially if you're looking to really push the boundaries of what's possible with this engine.
If your're looking to go down this route, then it's better to plan for it at this stage, than have to re jig at a later stage by swapping out an exhaust that was never designed with ultimate power in mind.
Please feel free to call me if required and I'll bore you some more.
Cheers
Nige
BCS Automotive

Offline Upperoilcan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 05:35:20 pm »
Lol @Nige and thanks to all that have given me a better understanding,

So all in all if i do go for a Cat back and new back box then the only gains would be the sound..

Offline Powervalve Nige

• Trader - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • POWERVALVE
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 06:24:59 pm »
You do get the placebo effect  :wink: which always makes you think it's quicker, but in reality 5-8 bhp is unnoticeable unless you're an F1 driver  :driver:
However you measure enjoyment in car though - sound is always a contributing factor in my opinion.
Cheers
Nige
 :happy2:

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 06:45:04 pm »
 :happy2:+1

Offline mark53

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 06:52:04 pm »
Any one no the standard bore size of the edition 30??

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 07:07:29 pm »
76mm

Offline Robo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1