Make a donation

Author Topic: GT Grille Replacement  (Read 808 times)

Offline Andy_D

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
GT Grille Replacement
« on: January 21, 2012, 01:39:39 pm »
Hi All,

First Forum Post on Mk5GolfGTI

Someone stole both plates off my GT TSi the other night and in the process took the grille surrounding trim detail that was colour coded to the vehicle, together with the Number Plate Plinth and the Number Plate itself.

Got a number plate sorted but of course have no trim and no plinth to mount the plate to now on the front - no problem I thought, off to VW for the new trim.

Horror - the Grille and Trim surround is only sold as a complete unit even though the slatted grille itself has no damage and the cost from VW is over 200 before painting the grey primed trim surround to vehicle colour.

I have been racking my brain and searching on the internet for two days for a cheaper solution but short of someone having a spare trim surround due to having to replace the slatted grille for instance I can't think of any.

There seems to be very few GT Grilles around for sale and I can't find any re-sellers who sell genuine GT Grille parts I'm after besides dealerships themselves.

If anyone has any other suggestions to how to solve this with slightly less financial pain I would really appreciate any pointers.

We have just has a new baby girl before Christmas and finances are already tight before I  spend well over 300 all up to fix damage from a stolen plate!

Thanks V Much

Andy_D

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 34
Re: GT Grille Replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 02:08:12 pm »
check your PM's  :happy2:
MK6 GT TDI  - CW - LUX pack
GONE
MkV Golf 1.9TDI Sport in DBP, 160,000 miles and climbing!

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...

Offline Andy_D

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 05:29:43 pm »
Thanks Apples12.

Yes, that is indeed the part I'm after, you did very well there.

Challenge is it looks like it may have a crack or damage to the left of the plinth in the photo and is listed with collection only (I'm in London).

Never the less, I have emailed them to check if I'm right and if they can do anything with postage.

If anyone else has other ideas how to solve this or has a spare trim without the grille to sell or even a whole grille set - I'd like to hear from you.  I have also posted a wanted item listing for this in the wanted section.

Note: due to being a new member I receive PMs through to my email account but can't seem to reply to them directly, except by replying to the thread.

Cheers

Andy_D  

« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 05:33:01 pm by Andy_D »

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 05:44:24 pm »
Hi andy

email the seller and ask them if they can just box it and have it ready for collection, then book a courier through www.interparcel.co.uk, would cost ya a tenner or so using TNT and he would just have to be in for them to collect it and would just have to write your name and address on the package, thats it, offer him a fiver for his trouble, no reason why he shouldnt oblige! i only last week got rid of a complete centre grill in black!

good luck
GONE

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...

Offline Andy_D

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 06:15:33 pm »
You're a star for looking, (and finding), options for me. :happy2:  I searched and searched and didn't find the two you have (and I am normally ok at that sort of stuff!!).

Just to check I'm right with my thinking.  The GT Sport Grille with trim surround detail in black is entirely interchnageable with the older GT Grill and trim detail which is colour coded but provided by VW as primed grey.  I.e. they are exactly the same fixing points and you can interchange either types of trim?

Also, I am thinking I could get the GT Sport trim style, which is in gloss back, primed and painted by a repairer anyway, if I really wanted but thinking avoiding the cost would be another benefit!!

Andy_D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 07:34:32 pm by Andy_D »

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 08:37:08 pm »
tbh andy if i was you i'd cut my losses and see if i could get hold of that complete grill and just get that painted up, i attempted to separate the grill and surround once...i ended up buying another grill (thats how i'm so quick at finding them.lol)

and yup they'd all be interchangeable, just the hassle of painting them!
GONE