Make a donation

Author Topic: Good quality aftermarket HID Kit  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
Good quality aftermarket HID Kit
« on: January 25, 2012, 08:58:59 pm »
I'm looking for a quality aftermarket HID Kit for the wife's Hyundai Santa Fe. The lighting on these cars is abysmal to say the least. I have tried uprated bulbs, but still poor. For some obscure reason, you can get Xenon's as standard in most European countries, but not in the UK.

Does anybody have any experience with aftermarket HID kits? Any ones I should give a miss, or any that I should be looking at? Looking more at the brand / make as I know which bulbs fit her car. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

And before anybody condemns me, I will be fitting 4300k as  the aim is to get more light on the road, the car does have auto levelling rear suspension and I am in the process of sourcing headlight washers, even though these are no longer needed, and the car does have projector beams.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Good quality aftermarket HID Kit
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 10:02:14 am »
Anybody? Nobody ever used an aftermarket HID kit before?

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline ktlstar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 10:39:42 am »
Hids direct however i have brought all mine from ebay via China as thats were they ALL come from. £30 i think i paid for my last set.   
- #1240 ED30 Revo STAGE2+
- Southeast - Vag Com owner

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 10:58:54 am »
Hid kits are awful mate. If there in a halogen reflector housing, they're dangerous and selfish.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 11:10:07 am »
Hid kits are awful mate. If there in a halogen reflector housing, they're dangerous and selfish.

Kind of my thoughts too

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 11:30:13 am »
try HIDS4U, i've had two kits from them before, both in reflector housings, using their H7R bulb which is designed to give the correct beam pattern in reflector housings. Both passed MOT and was not flashed by oncoming motorists  :happy2: best light output to go for is 5000k, as it provides the most useful light and looks nearest to Factory/OEM lighting.
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 11:33:52 am »
Thanks for the input guys.

Firstly the vehicle has projector headlamps which are the same as those fitted with OEM Xenon bulbs in other rmarkets, just not the UK. I am fully aware of all the numpties out there using them in halogen headlamps and the associated issues with light scatter and blinding. I am not ignorant, hence why I am doing it properly with headlamp washer's etc. even though those are supposedly no longer required.

I have tried to source OEM units from outside the UK with no luck for this car. That is the only reason I am looking at aftermarket HID kits.

Offline ktlstar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 11:51:27 am »
Youll be ok, as i said take a look at HIDS-direct or just any ebay ones really.

Offline rahat118

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 09:59:03 pm »
Are the ebay ones legal

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 09:15:39 am »
It all depends who you speak to whether they are legal at all or not, regardless of whether they come from Ebay or other sources. At the end of the day, I reckon driving the wife's car is more dangerous without them than with on poorly lit roads.

Offline ktlstar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 09:32:46 am »
I wouldnt say there illegal, its what headlamps you put the bulbs into make them illegal or not to use. I.E reflectors = illegal where as Projectors are legal / safer.

At end of the day they give out much better lighting then any other bulb if you stick under 6k. I have 6K,8K, even 10k being like BLUE/PURPLE. I would recommend 6K for being white with a crisp of blue. I find  HIDS, they last much longer then ordinary bulb aswell!.

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 09:42:38 am »
I ordered the Ultimate 35W H7 kit from HIDS4U in the lowest rating they had which was 5k. More interested in the light output than the colour to be honest. Figured I'd pay the premium and get a supposedly better kit, only time will tell. Will report back tomorrow once they installed and the light settings checked down the road at my local MOT station.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 09:49:26 am »
I had a hids4u 35w kit. Ran fine no problems for 18months or so. I then went with a Hids-Direct 55w kit and that ran fine no issues for 2 1/2 years and it is still in the car now as i know the new owner.

I also used to drive with my lights on all the time until i fitted DRL's. As long as you get them aligned properly afterwards you should be fine. I was never flashed once by anyone (not even some wierdo in a rain coat :sad1: :evilgrin:) and the car passed 2 MOT's with them in.

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 11:47:14 am »
Well, this hasn't started well. Got the kit from HIDS4U. Paid the extra for a so called premium kit and it came in a Pro box rather than an Ultimate Box unsealed. Looks like they have thrown components in there that were lying around.

Going to fit them now. See how that goes.

Offline Gez G

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 09:38:43 pm »
Hids4u Ultimate kit is very good, had a 5k version fitted to the Jetta for nearly 2 years now.