Make a donation

Author Topic: Martin's OEM+ GTI  (Read 8857 times)

Offline danishmkvgti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
Re: Martin's OEM+ GTI
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 08:17:05 am »
It's hardly a compromise. I've never had a set of tyres that can be driven as hard in the wet as the dry, and I've tried a heap of tyres from cheaper brands like kumho and Falken right through to the more expensive stuff like Michelin. I agree budget tyres are not ideal. And just to confirm it wasn't me that put them on in the first place. The BBS on my mini came with budget tyres that were so sh*tty you can't even buy them in the UK, compared to them, the set on ATM are like R888s

If it really bothers you that much though, I'd happily accept a loan/gift to allow me to get decent tyres on

It's okay  :happy2: just if you read your own sentense you'll see how funny it is, if you spare the car they are okay? Like saying your broken leg doesn't hurt as long as you don't walk on it  :wink:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline martinj46

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 08:57:06 am »
Moving on from the tyre debate, I've now got my car back.  The garage had a full inspection over the coolant system and even pressure tested it, yet couldn't find any leaks/faults.  Since they changed the water pump before I bought it, they are putting it down to the coolant just levelling out, but I'll be keeping a very close eye on it for the next few weeks, just incase.  :happy2:

Offline martinj46

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 12:40:36 pm »
Update:

Firstly the coolant issue appears to have sorted itself out, success!

I had my car on a local rolling road day recently, where it made the claimed VW figures, which I was fairly happy with.  Despite this though I've found myself constantly looking at pistonheads classifieds.  Nothing wrong with the Golf, I've just not really got on with it.  My biggest problem has been that it didn't 'feel' fast.  It would occasionally boost well, and be fast, but most of the time it felt as if the turbo wasn't boosting at all, making the car feel really dull.  I had a search on the web to see if this was usual for a standard GTI.  I found that a common problem is the diverter valve tearing due to being made from rubber.  Aswell as my inconsistent boost levels, this tied in with the slight whistling sound I was hearing on acceleration.  So off to the local VW stealers I went, and picked up a replacement item.  VW have revised this part several times, with the current part being changed to a piston type, which apparently is much more reliable.  Only cost £54.99 inc VAT, so harldy broke the bank.

Armed with the replacement part I set about getting the old one off.  The bottom two bolts were easy enough, but the top one was a right pain.  Doesn't help you can't see it, let alone get your arm up to undo it.  Once out, I saw it was indeed torn.  So in went the new one, and what a difference!  It's like a completely different car now, more like what I expected a GTI to be like.  When I thought it was boosting before, it's now double that all the time!  I'll need to get it back on a dyno at somepoint to find out how much power it's actually making :)

Next Steps:

I've noticed that on my foglight grilles a few holes have been knocked through along the bottom edge, whereas most other golfs appear to have solid grilles.  I have however seen one or two other like mine.  Did some come from the factory like this?  I was initially just going to replace them with the standard part, but I'm swaying towards the open grilles after seeing a few.

After that I need to get a set of tyres sorted for the BBS.  I was just going to go for a set of Falken FK-452's as I've always liked them in the past, and they are reasonably priced imo.  However, I've seen a lot of people really rating the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's recently.  Has anyone here had either, or both of these on their Golf?  Thoughts?  Also what width are people using for 8" wheels?  I'm thinking 225?

Offline martinj46

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 10:04:39 pm »
I finally have something to update this with.  Firstly, my car had rust at the top of the arches, and sills, my local VW garage agreed to repair this under warranty with them paying 70% of the bill.  It turned out the wings were beyond repair, so were replaced with new panels, even better!  My 30% of the bill though came to £400, and tbh I'm fairy unimpressed with the work they've done.  The panels themselves are spot on, however the rest is shocking.  They've not put the bolt back in to hold the arch liner, they've not masked off under the car, so I now have red over spray everywhere!  Most annoyingly though, they've also covered one of my recently refurbished Monza wheels in overspray, not impressed.  Luckily it has mostly polished off, but still.  Not what I expected from such a big name bodyshop.

heres a before pic, for anyone interested

I jack my car up quite regularly for various reasons, and quickly grew tired of the jack in the boot.  However the lack of jacking points made using a trolley jack difficult.  After some research, I discovered that the Audi S3 came with jacking points that can be retrofitted to the mk5 chassis.  These were ordered up asap.  My experience with the local Audi dealer was even less impressive than with VW.  The wrong part turned up twice, then when the right part arrived, nobody thought to call me and let me know... cheers.  They were a piece of cake to fit though, and are very useful.

With all that behind me, the more exciting stuff could happen.  Firstly I had a set of KW V1's fitted about a month ago.  I gave them time to settle properly, before going mad this weekend sorting everything else out.  I finally got round to buying and fitting some tyres for the BBS VZ I've had for several months.  I was going to get a set of Falken FK-452 having had good experiences of them in the past, however they were unavailable in my size, so ended up with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's, this will hopefully please the tyre snobs?  They've only done 50 odd miles, so I'm not going to comment on them just yet.

While I had the car jacked up to lower it and fit the new wheels I also took the chance to repaint the now pink calipers.  Took most of the day to remove all the grease on them from previous owners, but was worth it in the end.

Also fitted some open foglight grilles, not sure why, just felt like it

This...

To this...

Finally I had an impulse purchase at payday...  An Neuspeed induction kit.  It looks the part, and is fairly loud haha.  Question though.  When I accelerate it makes a VERY loud whoosing noise, not just when I let of to change gear.  I expected the turbo noises to be a bit louder, but it drowns out the stereo, is that normal?

With all the new stuff fitted, I went for a drive to make sure everything was fine, this resulted in a lot of murdering.... of flies

I found that despite not being super low, something (presumably the edge of the arch) was rubbing over bumps/sharper corners.  So I had to raise it a few turns, dont want to ruin the new arches.  The passenger side still does it a little, which is annoying, as ideally from a looks point of view it needs to be an inch lower.  Is there any camber adjustment as standard?  If not, what camber plates are advisable?

Anyway, after a wash, and the finished pictures.  Cheers

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 10:33:13 pm »
Tidy pics, looks smart.  :happy2: Claying the wheels should remove any over spray left on.  :happy2:

Offline Superted74

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2012, 10:55:07 pm »
You tried the screw mod for the rubbing on the arches??

Basically if you run your finger around the top of the arch just above the wheel, you'll feel a small torq screw. Generally removing this will get rid of the rubbing.

There's a couple of threads on here that'll show you what to do.

Like your work so far :happy2:

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2012, 11:06:58 pm »
fed up of all these people getting bodywork done under warranty when they flatly refused to even submit my case!

Car looking good though.

Can you give more info on these jacking points?
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2012, 11:23:00 pm »
Car looks great & good choice on the rims,can't beat this style on the mk5. :wink:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline martinj46

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2012, 07:42:07 am »
Cheers.  It sounds like VW have inadvertantly done me a favour by not putting the screw back in the liner  :happy2:

As for the jacking points, see the link below:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=18186.0

Offline trenchy

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • [IMG]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll235/jame
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 08:31:03 am »
Nice car, I also have a red GTI (the fastest colour I heard) :smiley:

As for suspension there's a lot of good reviews on the Bilstein B12 kit (which has Eibach springs)

A WALK would also be good too with a set of BBS VZs or Pescaras (ED 30 wheels)

i agree......... :congrats:

GTi in the fastest colour...........

Offline arthur

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2012, 07:33:14 pm »
looks good, ride height looks fine to me!!

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2012, 10:11:23 pm »
You tried the screw mod for the rubbing on the arches??

Basically if you run your finger around the top of the arch just above the wheel, you'll feel a small torq screw. Generally removing this will get rid of the rubbing.

There's a couple of threads on here that'll show you what to do.

Like your work so far :happy2:

Once you remove the screw, you need to squeeze the arch liner so that it pops behind the screws fixing plate!
Then the arch liner will be secure again.

It is a great little mod to do if you are lowered and is recommended to all   :happy2:

Offline martinj46

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2012, 10:43:31 pm »
Once you remove the screw, you need to squeeze the arch liner so that it pops behind the screws fixing plate!
Then the arch liner will be secure again.

It is a great little mod to do if you are lowered and is recommended to all   :happy2:

cheers, I'll get that done asap

Offline Sie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2012, 07:28:20 am »
The whoosing noise sounds like your Dv has gone. Does it feel a bit sluggish? Take it you havent changed this for the rev d version?

Sie
Fettled Laser Blue '05 GTi 5dr

Offline martinj46

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2012, 09:26:35 am »
The whoosing noise sounds like your Dv has gone. Does it feel a bit sluggish? Take it you havent changed this for the rev d version?

Sie

It's already been changed, can't remember which revision, but it was a piston type.  It's a similar noise to when the old rubber diaphragm one was torn though.