Make a donation

Author Topic: Separating calipers for refurbishment?  (Read 7267 times)

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
Re: Separating calipers for refurbishment?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 08:29:01 am »
Depends and Preston!

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 09:39:44 am »

Missed a bit Mr B.  Look spanking!

Attention to detail is Mr B mantra.

Fancy tackling some Clio Cup rears for me?  Don't do a lot, but look sh*te!

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 11:35:46 am »
PM sent buddy, sorry to sound like a muppet but they can be tricky, that said everybody has to do their first one.

So just to be straight its not like a bloody Apollo mission but worthwhile getting some scrap calipers off the bay and having a play about with before bolting the good ones to your car!

So not rocket science just tricky

Have to agree with Dave on this one - it's a total b**** of a job. I was doing it for the first time (and last!!!) on some S3 calipers but wish I had just sent them away. I had to buy a pair of ultra long needle-nose pliers and even then grind the end to make them more pointy. This is to get a circlip out at the base of the mechanism after the piston is removed which is hard to get out and even harder to get back in. The mechanism is compressed against the circlip by a spring which needed a large g-clamp in my case to relieve the pressure and get the mechanism out. The handbrake mechanism can be prised off afterr the screw is removed but be careful no to damage the rubber dust seal there if you don't have a spare and remember the orientation of the lever.

In addition to the cost of the pliers, there is the VAG spec lithium grease which was thirty-something quid and rates up there with platinum and printer ink on a cost per gramme basis and the seal kit if you need this ....and then the powdercoating (which I got done on the cheap and they made a bit of a mess of it!)....

....or send it to a professional  :wink:

As Dave said, it is do-able but a pain and brakes is not something you want to get wrong.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,10649.0.html
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 11:56:44 am by muckipup »

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 11:48:44 am »
Quick update, borrowed a rewind tool yesterday (cheers Martin) and this morning against my better judgement I removed the piston on one of the calipers and tbh...................................I wish I hadn't!   :sad1:

Am I right in thinking the reseal kit contains 4 x seals?  The 2 covering the piston itself, and 2 of each on the inside?  Also, now I have got to this stage will reassembly require the saffron lithium paste?  Also, any idea what I could use to bung up the piston whole for powdercoating, as I would rather not have to remove the handbrake mech'.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 11:59:02 am by vRS_Pagey »

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 01:02:48 pm »
yes you need lithium paste assuming you don't want it to leak, you might get away with soaking the seal in CLEAN brake fluid for 45 minutes but that's for new seals not used ones.

Did we not think that getting the eBay caliper was a good idea and you were going to practise on it?

Have you figured out how to get the dust seal back in its recess with the piston in place?

Do you want my address for me to put the good one back together for free whilst you have a play about with the eBay caliper?

the seal kits are PER caliper and there are two kinds, there are equalising seals in the piston as well that's why there's an air hole in the recess where the dust seal sits in the piston......don't take that to pieces just yet

the only really reliable way to inhibit the piston is to have a 41mm bung machined at a machine shop in fact you'll need 2 of course, it will be two process as they also need to drill into the bung to make room for the handbrake post, you then need to drill and tap the top and put some threaded bar into it and then a bar to push against where the pads sit x 2 of course

That's what I did about 60 pairs ago, also got every piston cap for 4 pots from 28mm through to 46mm got 8 each of those

my very polite point being if you want to do a proper job then you need the tools required and for one pair it probably doesn't stack up (which is why nobody does it)

also have a M10x1 tap and an even rarer M12x1 tap and wrench handy as the threads will invariably be mashed as they frequently suffer from dissimilar metal corrosion, I tend to use a degrippant on them overnight before undoing the bleed nipples

Lot to it pal, get that eBay caliper bought and have a frig about with it

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 09:17:24 am »
PM sent Dave...  :notworthy:

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 01:55:53 pm »
Just before you take em to pieces are you happy about putting them back together properly?

There's a very large spring in there that  doesnt like blast media of any sort.

Are you leaving the handbrake mechanism in there? You taking it out, you go the long circlip pliers?

Might I sincerely suggest you get on the bay and buy yourself a rear caliper from a Mk4 1.9 SDI and have a practise

You got seal kits? You got piston seals?

Sorry to sound like a tw@t but they're abut four times as involved as fronts and have double the amount of elephant traps as the fronts too and you only find out when fluid is pissing out all over your lovely fresh powder coat.

That said PM me and I'll help all I can, here's some I delivered just yesterday

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Do you have any more like that???

2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 05:59:16 pm »
Might have, althoughs there's a bit of a queue forming.....

Lee PM'd cha'back

QD you have the address if not give me a ring

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2012, 06:07:30 pm »
Will give you a call.

Just sorting out how we change an engine on an aircraft stuck in a French airbase near Orleans, SW of Paris.  Pilot saw it dropping back through 1000 degrees during a start cycle.

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2012, 09:40:17 pm »
Errrrr should he not of thrown that one away a little sooner.......whats the limit?    :ashamed:

We had our 76 recovered from Blackpool, guy turned up with the most complicated low loader on the planet and whisked it away. Blogs doing power assurance check with one wound right back and the other pulling 103%, thing gets airborne an inch and promptly spills its guts Out the back with a fiery burp!

they French donkeys or Pratts or rollers on yours?

Offline scooba

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2012, 05:53:29 am »
Just before you take em to pieces are you happy about putting them back together properly?

There's a very large spring in there that  doesnt like blast media of any sort.

Are you leaving the handbrake mechanism in there? You taking it out, you go the long circlip pliers?

Might I sincerely suggest you get on the bay and buy yourself a rear caliper from a Mk4 1.9 SDI and have a practise

You got seal kits? You got piston seals?

Hi I have been through all the above they are a pita.

My advice send them to daveb  they come back like the picture amazing is the only word !

Sorry to sound like a tw@t but they're abut four times as involved as fronts and have double the amount of elephant traps as the fronts too and you only find out when fluid is pissing out all over your lovely fresh powder coat.

That said PM me and I'll help all I can, here's some I delivered just yesterday

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Do you have any more like that???

Offline tonkajon

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • I am not happy unless im spannering my VAG ;)
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2014, 09:57:54 pm »
Hi

lovely set of refurbed brakes :)

I have recently taken delivery of an enormous compressor and a shot blasting cabinet! size wise i can just about squeeze in an 18" wheel with out a tyre on!

I anybody is in the Beds, Herts, Bucks Northants area and wants some blasting done on the cheap im more than happy to oblige!

I am not after making a massive profit just some pennies towards purchasing and modding a MK5 Gti! and a new sack of grit when I need it!

give me a shout if i can help out

cheers

Jon :)