Make a donation

Author Topic: Girlfriends car damaged  (Read 4118 times)

Offline treesimon

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Girlfriends car damaged
« on: February 01, 2012, 02:16:14 pm »
After some information please.

Last night while my girlfriend was at a tesco petrol station, car stationary. She was paying inside someone scrapped the rear bumper.

Not anything major just slight paint damage.

She got the detail from the driver.

What do we do now?

Will claiming on his insurance effect her insurance?

57 plate Tornado red 3dr manual edition 30

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
Re: Girlfriends car damaged
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 02:28:16 pm »
Yes, fix it yourself, I know it's daft but I had same years ago, they wanted to go through insurance and it counts as a claim. As in any claims in last 5 years? Yes, stupid if I had known I would have had paid for it
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline treesimon

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 02:34:00 pm »
So basically it is a not at fault claim, claiming through his insurance,

This will make her insurance raise at renewal due to saying 1 claim in 5 years? Even though her insurance has not paid out?

Offline ktlstar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 02:40:20 pm »
Get a quote first from a bodyshop, and then ask the owner who damaged the car to see if they are willing to pay out then going through insurance. more than likely they will do that as there insurance wont bump up or lose NCB.

If not then only way is to just go through insurance and may risk your missus insurance.

Same thing when a car gets stolen, you claim  and your insurance goes up.
- #1240 ED30 Revo STAGE2+
- Southeast - Vag Com owner

Offline treesimon

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 02:44:30 pm »
Ok cheers for the info :happy2: I'll speak to her tonight when she gets back from work and see what we can do.

Offline ConeKiller

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 03:37:16 pm »
no it wont affect her insurance, i work for a major insurer and some of the ideas people have of insurers does annoy me lol

it wont affect her insurance, she doesnt have to declare it as a fault accident, and insurers only want to know about fault accidents when you renew/take out new insurance.

settling private may be quicker and easier but if you go through insurance then they will look after you well!! if you decide to go through the insurance pm me if you need any help or advice  :happy2:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 03:39:20 pm by ConeKiller »

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 04:06:41 pm »
@CONEKILLER....

i had a non-fault accident 18 months ago, got 'T-boned' in a leon, was completely written off, claimed etc etc off the other parties insurance, was advised like you just said, its a non-fault accident so no need to declare it to the insurance company as a 'clain in the last 5 years', had to make another claim on the policy on my golf, this time it was my fault, other driver insisted on wanting to go through insurance etc etc, my insurance company started getting all funny and pulled the line that i had an undeclared claim and that they wouldnt pay out for my damage!

is this the case with ALL insurers or just some?

MK6 GT TDI  - CW - LUX pack
GONE
MkV Golf 1.9TDI Sport in DBP, 160,000 miles and climbing!

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...

Offline treesimon

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 04:22:59 pm »
Interesting.

My girlfriend is insured with Aviva currently.

She wasnt even in the car at the time of accident so there is no way it was her fault.

Normally when it comes to insurance renewal, the insurer asks for any claims within the last 5 year regardless of fault.

So I take it that it would have to be declared to them, also would it effect her ncb?

Should she info her insurance about the incident? I imagine it will only involve his insurance company, which is John Lewis?

Offline Trekmeister

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 10
  • Golf GT 140
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 04:30:44 pm »
no it wont affect her insurance, i work for a major insurer and some of the ideas people have of insurers does annoy me lol

it wont affect her insurance, she doesnt have to declare it as a fault accident, and insurers only want to know about fault accidents when you renew/take out new insurance.

settling private may be quicker and easier but if you go through insurance then they will look after you well!! if you decide to go through the insurance pm me if you need any help or advice  :happy2:
Thats interesting because my son in law was hit from behind by someone on his mobile phone. He was stationary in traffic and was a no fault accident on his part yet when he came to renew his policy they still insisted on an extra £300 because he was involved in an accident full stop.

Offline ConeKiller

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 04:57:10 pm »
to all the above i will try and help lol

basicly a none fault accident and your no claims bonus dont work hand in hand so you can be affected sometimes.

If for example someone hits your car and drives off, not leaving any details, you come back and find it damaged, the accident is not your fault but there is no one else to claim from, therefore your insurance has to pay out. This means you have made a claim and the insurance is out of pocket therefore your no claims discount is affected and it is classed as a'fault accident'.

If in the same circumstances if they leave their details or your in the car and take their details etc and your insurance pay out, they can claim the money back from the other persons insurance. If this happens (most cases it does) then the claim is closed as none fault and your no claims discount isnt affected.

If you have a stolen car or fire claim then they are fault claims as you claim off your insurance and there is no one else to claim the money back from.

If your not at fault for ana ccident and the money is claimed back from the responsible insurer then you should not be out of pocket or affected when you renew.

If you have a non fault accident and you dont claim or deal with it privately you dont have to declare it, no insurance claim was made or involved.

If you have a claim which is none fault and settled none fault (your insurance claimed all their money back from the other insurance company of the person at fault) then dont declare it, some insurers still charge more but this is not fair or allowed and if they catch you out at a later date they wont make an issue of it (this happens where i work for certain). Aviva are terrible insurers and should be avoided at the best of times but they also do sting you if you have a non fault accident.

If you have a fault claim then declare it, otherwise when your found out you will end up with your trousers pulled down!

For people who have their insurance go up just because of a non fault claim you need to be firm with them, get quote before declaring then declare, any difference you shouldnt have to pay!

Its the end of the day so sorry if i rambled on :)

Offline treesimon

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 05:07:01 pm »
Cheers for taking the time to write that all up :happy2:

It's all abit metal and sounds like different insure deal with non fault claims in different ways!

Have to wait and see what occurs.

Should I get her to inform her insurance company that a claim will be made on a another person insurance?

MPS

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 05:16:33 pm »

Offline ConeKiller

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 06:01:46 pm »
Cheers for taking the time to write that all up :happy2:

It's all abit metal and sounds like different insure deal with non fault claims in different ways!

Have to wait and see what occurs.

Should I get her to inform her insurance company that a claim will be made on a another person insurance?

If you are able to deal directly with the persons insurance whos at fault then no dont :)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 09:32:50 am »
Get a quote first from a bodyshop, and then ask the owner who damaged the car to see if they are willing to pay out then going through insurance. more than likely they will do that as there insurance wont bump up or lose NCB.

If not then only way is to just go through insurance and may risk your missus insurance.
Get two estimates, and if the other driver wont cough up directly - then claim directly against the other persons insurance company.  This is exactly how you would do it if you were Third Party only insured.  This way, you get all your wonga back, wont have to pay any excess, wont have a claim lodged against your own insurance, etc.

If the other sides insurance company starts arguing a toss, trying to deny the claim, etc - then write to them letting them know the garage has it on CCTV, that you will be applying for said CCTV, that cost of applying for said CCTV (often upto £250) will be added to claim, etc.  And that if they still refuse, just issue a County Court Claim in the small claims court (and add the costs of that to the claim too).  There is absolutely no need to lose a penny out of pocket for these type incidents.

Same thing when a car gets stolen, you claim  and your insurance goes up.
Which is why a tracker is a very good investment.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 09:43:32 am »
O-rly . . . do you actually work for HER insurance company?  Are you a senior underwriter?

That is utter tosh.  The VAST majority of insurance companies will load future premiums when a claim has been made - even if it was a non-fault accident.  Though granted, an 'at-fault' claim will be loaded more.

And you are now telling people to commit fraud . . . if she made a claim on her own insurance (irrespective of who was to blame), then she MUST declare it.  If she subsequently takes out insurance, and doesn't declare it, then she will be UN-INSURED.  :stupid:

Hmmmmm . . . there are way too many shady insurance companies out there - some will 'quote you happy' - but most will 'treat you like sh*t' when it comes to making a claim.

Settling private would be the best option for both parties concerned, but if the other side wont co-operate, go directly to the Third Party insurer - a perfectly legitimate option.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 11:39:27 am by Teutonic_Tamer »
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~