Make a donation

Author Topic: Temptation to change!  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Betty02

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 11
    • iBett
Temptation to change!
« on: February 01, 2012, 02:46:34 pm »
Been having huge temptations to change my GTi lately, only had the car 13 months, don't get me wrong I really do love the car but I have always wanted a ''big'' car and I think it's time to change!

Now my next car WILL be a dirty D, which mean I started of looking at the GTD but I don't think it will fit into my budget, I currently have my car on finance and owe £7k on it unfortunately I doubt I can sell it for that price? So rather then doing all my planned mods (Xenons, CC'ing, Recaro's) etc I am tempted to put the money away instead. I have just been given a pay rise and have a 7 month back-pay of the overall difference which is always nice, plan is around July/August no holiday and hopefully have £5k in then bank! Also at this time I hope to get the figures down to only owing £6k roughly on the car!

Now plan is £5k down on a car and then finance the remaining £10k as I am doing now as payments will be the same. No as I mentioned earlier I have always wanted a bigger car, and my dream (yes nothing special like many dream) has always been to own a RRS - Well now I think is the time to make that move.

I like bigger cars, the look, the drive, comfort etc. I had a RR Vogue for 3 weeks when I was 17 and never looked back. Now my GTi is up for renewal this coming March and I did a quote on many many sources on the GTi and the RRS, surprisingly it was cheaper to insure the RR! So this instantly got a win.

I'm not into all that power thing anymore yes I love having a fast car but I can still only drive it at 30 around town! I play rugby and coach kids too so the golf always struggles when it comes to getting all my gear in there, let alone the amount of kids that get in covered in fresh mud!

However I keep looking at the MK6 Golf GTD, a few have ended on eBay for £15k so I could squeeze one in my budget but I am un-sure if I would still want a bigger car after ownership? What the depreciation on these like?

What's everyone's views over the RRS and the GTD? I understand this is a golf forum so the majority would suggest the GTD but basically wondering your views and comments?

Here's the RRS that I watched sell for what I think is a cheap price, lower tax band, similar mileage to my current golf - Here!

Here is an example of a GTD too, now doesn't have the Charleston alloys I want so would need to budget them in - Here!

Thanks and sorry it's lengthy!

Simon
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 02:49:26 pm by Betty02 »
ADMIN NOTICE: Please do not use the site for advertising!

Offline Upperoilcan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
Re: Temptation to change!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 04:50:36 pm »
RRS's apparently know no bounds with their diesel consumption,very very thirsty so im told.

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 05:25:53 pm »
Keep the GTI and spend the saved money on a Disco/ML

best of both worlds
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 08:22:36 pm »
RRS are boring. Ive driven a fair few over some distance now and I would take a GTI or GTD any day of the week.

I cant imagine they will be cheap to maintain either. One for 15k won't be right cracking either.

Stick with the GTI, remap it and that will be like having a new car. That 5 grand your planning on saving? get it paid off the GTI.
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 10:46:38 pm »
I wrote a sort of mini review of the GTD I had for one month over Christmas. To cut a long story short I thought it was a great car. For a diesel it is very refined and you get very good economy out of it. To be honest it does nearly everything a GTI does in everyday driving. The problem is they don't really depreciate, so for your budget you'll be looking at a high mileage example.

Incidentally I've had a Scirocco all this week and I absolutely love it. Even though it has it's bad points (awful rear vision) I think it's a brilliant package. I want one.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 10:56:22 pm »
A VW Tiguan any good?  Certainly wont have the drink problem the RRS has.  And will be easy to mod too!
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 10:56:45 pm »
My boss has a range rover sport and seems to spend about a grand a year on brakes (dealer prices) and god knows how much on other things.  I think they are prone to electrical gremlins in the gearbox / suspension computers.  He recently had to replace the whole rear screen because the wiring for the rear lights is bonded to the glass and had failed.

Great car otherwise.  Agree that the GTD is a great car too, was surprised how nice it sounded for a DERV and had loads of torque.

Two very different beasts though.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 09:32:45 am »
You haven't got an money to buy the two cars you mention. Don't borrow money to buy a car. We would all like better cars than we have but we have to live life within our means. Save the money and spend it on what you like
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline Betty02

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 11
    • iBett
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 10:17:37 am »
Think I need to get myself down to VW and test drive a GTD, my stealers always look at me funny though when I go in so probably take me out in it - which obviously isn't what I want as I want to drive it myself and feel the power under my own foot!

In regards to borrowing money it's money I have aside from each months wages for a car, weather I finance, or weather I get a loan and repay that the money is there for either situation and it's there as I do need a car as I work 20 miles from home.

Also servicing shouldn't be too bad, I can source cheap parts from what I've got my brother to look at for both cars, and he's fully qualified mechanic so he does all my bits for free and he also used to work at KwikSh!t and were good friends with the manager so things can get done through there also!

Need to defiantly go out in the GTD, obviously it;s still months down the line but it's something I wish to plan ahead for!
ADMIN NOTICE: Please do not use the site for advertising!

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 10:33:41 am »
Yep, no point starting a debate about how to finance a car. Everyones situation is different and a lot of people are quite comfortable buying a car with sensible finance.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 10:46:13 am »
What with interest rates these days its often beetter to finance than to save  :surprised:

Plus if your self employed and finance your car it can be offset against your earnings which is nice, likewise when you lease  :happy2:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14