Make a donation

Author Topic: Heated Seats  (Read 4715 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
Heated Seats
« on: February 05, 2012, 10:12:57 pm »
I assume the heater seats are just a flat/thin pad that sits between the foam and the fabric?

is it a one piece? or two? i.e base and back?

Do you think its possible to................

take the heated seat loom and switch......and add this into the current loom (for the fronts) and have heated rears to with independent control?
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
Re: Heated Seats
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 10:14:35 pm »
Im not sure i have been told the element is part of the fabric not a mat (as they use to be) but there may be a way round it
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 10:17:46 pm »
part of the actual trim colour (attached to the leather or cloth) ?
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline Weston

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 10:19:40 pm »
I expect it'd be a lot of work to do. Do you regularly have passengers?
GTI going...

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 10:28:19 pm »
I do buddy yea...kids

The outside of my car used to be my concern. Now it all interior........where we spend a lot of our time.

I thought - it maybe a simple-ish job (on paper anyway)

2 x heated pads
2 x looms
2 x switches

and someway of linking it into the current loom

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 10:50:34 pm »
Sports seats with bolsters (ie, the standard GTI seats) have four heating pads per seat: two big square ones for the squab and the backrest, and two long thin ones for the lower bolsters.  The standard seats found in poverty spec Golfs with heating have just the two main pads.  The controller seems to be the same for either type.

HTH
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 11:10:05 pm »
OK - so the base pads - have wings so to speak for the edges.....

Any idea if they are independent? or fixed to the seats covers?

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 11:19:52 pm »
OK - so the base pads - have wings so to speak for the edges.....

Any idea if they are independent? or fixed to the seats covers?

Did you not read my previous post?  :mad:

The GTI sports seat (with bolsters - or wings as you call them) has four separate pads (completely separate).  The pad in the seat base has the main fly lead with the appropriate number of connectors to feed the back, and if needed, the wings.  The backrest element looks universal, the seat base seems to differ dependent on sports or standard seats (along with its fly lead).

The control unit (one per seat) clips under the seat on the metal frame - so you'd need to find an appropriate void somewhere in the rear - but keep it away from the rear side crash sensors.

You could probably mount some switches in the rear end of the centre console - like they do on Howdies.
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 11:31:33 pm »
 :ashamed: Sorry..............

Using ALL VW bits - pads, wiring loom, controllers etc - is going to be expensive.

Also going VW (using the controllers) do you think you would get any coding issues?

Think it would be easier (cost effective) just to use a universal kit of some sort?

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 11:41:16 pm »
:ashamed: Sorry..............

Using ALL VW bits - pads, wiring loom, controllers etc - is going to be expensive.
Which type do you want me to look up - with wings or without?

Also going VW (using the controllers) do you think you would get any coding issues?
Pass.  I'm not even sure if the front seats are coded . . .

Best let one of the forum sparkies answer that.  :wink:

Think it would be easier (cost effective) just to use a universal kit of some sort?
I dunno - are they actually available?

If they are, just make sure they are appropriately regulated (CE, and ideally TUV) - you wont want to be toasting their little ar$es!!!!
------

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 11:47:12 pm »
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:02:40 am by Johnny_tro »

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 12:28:37 am »
having looked at both kits i think the kit for the mk4 is the one id go for, altho you will prob struggle to intergrate this into the mk5 loom, you could always run it seperate if you can, that would avoid coding/canbus issues
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 09:56:50 am »
Needed.....
All right - lets' see what I can rustle up . . . prices (for qty1) are a guide (not updated my ETKA for ages) + vat.  They are on ETKA illustration 963-00, if you want to pop in the stealer and have a look.

2 x base (without wings) bag don't really have the edges
1K0 963 555 G - £69.40

2 x rears
1K0 963 557 R - £69.40

2 x controllers
7L0 959 772 D - £49.55

2 x switches
I can't find these . . . maybe the Pissrat Passat has separate switches . . .

I was googling and found this..................what you think??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-Bora-Passat-Retrofit-Heated-Seats-Kit-Looms-/370140859960?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item562e1d4e38
If you can get it to fit - then it will be fine - it is a genuine VW part, so will be appropriately tested/approved.

Doncha just love the Haynes-esque instructions though - "with the ignition switched on or the engine running, the seats should heat up when the seat heating is switched on" . . .  yer don't say!!!!! :notworthy:  :rolleye: :evilgrin:

or cheaper kits

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Heated-Seat-retrofit-kit-2-seats-4-x-Carbon-Fibre-heating-elements-/400245051113?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d3076cee9
That looks OK - though I'm not a sparkie.  :wink:

Nothing about TUV on the adds
I would say those kinda things are important if say you were looking at some Chinese imports from some dodgy-looking trader.  The two e-bay links above are both seemingly reputable.

@ Phil - the 'embedded' elements seem to be only with cloth covered seats (pr N4C), all the others seem to be separate elements.  :wink:
------

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 09:48:12 pm »
Thanks for this guys.

The prices you have listed these are all for 'ONE' item?

The one kit of Ebay (VW ones) seller says its not marked as approved (safety) but as all bits are genuine VW they will be tested anyway.

Right - anyone fancing doing some wiring lol

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 11:35:39 pm »
Thanks for this guys.

The prices you have listed these are all for 'ONE' item?
Read the top line of reply #12 - YES!

The one kit of Ebay (VW ones) seller says its not marked as approved (safety) but as all bits are genuine VW they will be tested anyway.
The genuine VW jobbies will be just fine.  :pomppomp:

Right - anyone fancing doing some wiring lol

Moi . . . er non!
------