Make a donation

Author Topic: Inner tail light mod units  (Read 46838 times)

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
Inner tail light mod units
« on: February 08, 2012, 08:48:14 pm »
Right everyone, im about to complete my inner tail lights, and ive been keeping up to date with the threads about this so here is what ive done/doing

im using red LED 501 bulbs (2 in each unit) the LEDs are glued in place, the wiring from the bulbs in to the centre of the tailgate where there is a multi plug for each side, these then go down the tailgate and then to the number plate bulb holders, so far i have had no bulb out warnings, i mocked up the 2 looms and plugged them in to the car loom and all is good, now ive just got to fit the units and run the wiring, so once all fitted i will post up plenty of pictures on this thread

If anyone wants a set made i will, and it will be on the basis that you send me your old units after you have fitted the MODed ones so i can keep the cost down, if your interested PM me or post up, that way i can bulk order bulbs and wiring/ multi plugs

Thanks all  :happy2:
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Re: Inner tail light mod units
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 11:39:38 pm »
 :worthless:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 9
  • MKV GT TDi
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 11:29:13 am »
I am interested, but as said, we need pics and how easy is it to wire them up? And if a bulb goes is it easy to replace?

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 06:20:17 pm »
I am interested, but as said, we need pics and how easy is it to wire them up? And if a bulb goes is it easy to replace?

Will get pics up asap, the wiring is a walk in the park, nothing hard at all, because the bulbs in the inner lens are Led they shouldnt blow, but they do from time to time and each set will come with a spare bulb set which are plug and play because ive put the multi plug close to the len units
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • MKV GT TDi
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 06:25:54 pm »
Sounds good. What sort if money are we talking about?

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 07:52:01 pm »
Sounds good. What sort if money are we talking about?

Well if i do it on a 'return your old lights to me after fitting the new ones' then it will be about £30 inc P&P, for that it will be plug and play, with detailed intrustions with plenty of pics to show how to fit

Atm im tweeking the idea alittle, as in the bulbs are now push fit instead of glued so if one blows it can be changed easily, the supply of red Led bulbs have a hard plastic base so once pushed in to the back of the lens they are held strong, pics will be up asap

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • MKV GT TDi
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 08:02:33 pm »
Sounds really good. I would pay that to save me messing up my own set. What's the ETA?

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 10:52:43 pm »
Sounds really good. I would pay that to save me messing up my own set. What's the ETA?

Will have the first set all sorted this weekend (its mad here at the mo, my last day at work tomorrow, son is here this weekend, plus bucket loads of other stuff) when the first set is done i will post up all the pics from start to fitted and working on my car, then i will be able to get a set done a night, so if ordered today i would be able to post out within 24 hrs, the only hold up would be waiting for the old lens to be sent back, but i will try and pick a couple sets up off the bay just to get the ball rolling

the kit will consist of 2 x mod inner lamps
2x wiring harness to plug between number plate lamps car loom and inner lamp mod loom
2x wiring harness from inner lamps to number plate lamp multi plug
2x Led 239 number plate bulbs
detailed fitting instructions
and email and phone helpline :happy2:

I WONT BE SELLING SETS ON EBAY, ONLY THROUGH THIS SITE :star:

Offline Jaywoo-GTI

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 05:54:25 pm »
What 501 leds are you using as when i tryed some in mine the light was to direct and didnt light the ring very well or match the outer light? I would be willing to pay that kind of money for you to complete the set i have started.

Offline percy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 06:25:30 pm »
This sounds like a good mod for little money! Well done there mate! I could be tempted with this,get some pics up! :happy2:

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 07:39:21 pm »
What 501 leds are you using as when i tryed some in mine the light was to direct and didnt light the ring very well or match the outer light? I would be willing to pay that kind of money for you to complete the set i have started.

well i had been thinking about this mod for a few weeks and at work a bulb dealer came in and i got talking to him about it and he said about trying his companys bulbs, which is what im doing, the ring lights up really well and because the leds have the hard plastic base they are a tight fit in the lens which is great, today was my last day at the garage so ive got all my tools everywhere and i have my son till sunday i will get pics up as soon as for everyone to see

Offline KevMK5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 09:42:05 pm »
ooooh interesting, cost depending

Laser Blue GT Tdi 140

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 10:05:15 pm »
ooooh interesting, cost depending

it will be £30 inc p&p as long as i have your old lamps sent back to me, its the only way to keep it going as it would cost loads to keep buying inner lamps

Offline GTsport

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 10:34:23 pm »
I'm interested  :happy2:

I'm guessing you'll be doing this on the r32 rear lights as well as standard lights?

Look forward to the pics  :smiley:

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 10:56:15 pm »
I'm interested  :happy2:

I'm guessing you'll be doing this on the r32 rear lights as well as standard lights?

Look forward to the pics  :smiley:

To start off they will be just standard light lights unless I find a pair of R32 inners to mod, it will be the set up as the standard ones

I'm waiting for my connectors to come in at TPS so the lamps wiring will plug in to the number plate loom in a standard looking way, I've tested the bulbs and with this set up there is no bulb out warning on the dash and the brightness is very good and not brighter than the filament outers