Make a donation

Author Topic: Sky+HD box  (Read 1484 times)

Offline TonyZed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Sky+HD box
« on: February 10, 2012, 03:50:35 pm »
Has anyone had any experience of these guys, or similar?

One of my Sky boxes is playing up, particularly video and audio synching when playing things that have been recorded. I have tried all the various resets and reboots as recommended by Sky, but the problem is still there.  It is an HD box with Sky+Anytime. I was thinking I should get a new box and it makes sense to get a bigger hard drive, although that is huge! It sounds like there are a lot of second rate refurbs available, but this guy sells himself well. Also, I note that if you send him your old box he can transfer any recordings that are on there. Why can't Sky do that themselves? I've been having marathon sessions of TV watching to clear all my recorded stuff, just three episodes of Topgear to go. :signLOL:

Any thoughts? (and no, I don't want to go Virgin media! :grin:

TonyZ

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Sky+HD box
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 07:36:53 pm »
i just got the new sky HD 1TB box delivered the other day, had a bit of a battle with sky over it, they wanted to charge me £149 for the box + £15 delivery, after a bit of a battle and me telling them i wanted to cancel my subscription, i got it for £49, its a self install box, all pretty simple with instructions to follow.

its got a much bigger memory than the older box, havent really looked at it since i put it in the other night, so cant really comment anymore about it, oh it does look better as well lol

Saintsteve

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 08:09:38 pm »

One of my Sky boxes is playing up, particularly video and audio synching when playing things that have been recorded. I have tried all the various resets and reboots as recommended by Sky, but the problem is still there.  It is an HD box with Sky+Anytime. I was thinking I should get a new box and it makes sense to get a bigger hard drive, although that is huge! It sounds like there are a lot of second rate refurbs available, but this guy sells himself well. Also, I note that if you send him your old box he can transfer any recordings that are on there. Why can't Sky do that themselves? I've been having marathon sessions of TV watching to clear all my recorded stuff, just three episodes of Topgear to go. :signLOL:

TonyZ

the transfer of recordings is being looked into currently.We bought a company called "The cloud" which is a potential way of data transfer but we are working to increase that networks footprint.
you are taking a chance buying an 3rd party unit.It could be an old Thomson hd box refurbish and that will be a costly mistake .
sky charge just £65 for a callout at worst,and regardless of what needs changing, its all inclusive.You would most proberly get a 250gig unit instead of the old 160gig.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 08:25:59 pm by Saintsteve »

Offline PDT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 08:24:29 pm »
Remember that you get very few HD channels, Sky will want even more money for any decent HD channels.

Offline DaveR77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 3
    • UK-MKIVS.net
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 09:15:50 pm »
I'm sure a reset will clear the hard drive anyway, it did when I had to do it, the other half lost all her masterchef  :surprised:.

First thing I would do is threaten to cancel unless they send a new box, that's why we pay our £60+ a month

Saintsteve

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 05:52:23 pm »

One of my Sky boxes is playing up, particularly video and audio synching when playing things that have been recorded. I have tried all the various resets and reboots as recommended by Sky, but the problem is still there.  It is an HD box with Sky+Anytime. I was thinking I should get a new box and it makes sense to get a bigger hard drive, although that is huge! It sounds like there are a lot of second rate refurbs available, but this guy sells himself well. Also, I note that if you send him your old box he can transfer any recordings that are on there. Why can't Sky do that themselves? I've been having marathon sessions of TV watching to clear all my recorded stuff, just three episodes of Topgear to go. :signLOL:

TonyZ

Be seeing you tommorow Tony to fix this for you :signLOL:....  Caught me by surprise when you said on the ETA Phone call..."is that Saintsteve?"  :grin:

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 08:15:46 pm »
So that will be a 1tb new box with a new dish and free multi room then!

Offline TonyZed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 08:35:35 pm »

Be seeing you tommorow Tony to fix this for you :signLOL:....  Caught me by surprise when you said on the ETA Phone call..."is that Saintsteve?"  :grin:

I thought I'd give you an update Steve, and of course, thanks for the great service. All is fine, new box is perfect, as expected. :happy2:
Sky rules. :congrats:

It was a bonus being able to talk about cars at the same time.

Tony

Saintsteve

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 09:04:37 pm »

I thought I'd give you an update Steve, and of course, thanks for the great service. All is fine, new box is perfect, as expected. :happy2:
Sky rules. :congrats:

It was a bonus being able to talk about cars at the same time.

Tony

Cheers for the update Tony. I knew you'd find the new box alot better  :wink:.. As I said, give me a call if you need me   :happy2:

Offline TagnuT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 08:36:18 pm »
Nice when you can get personal service!!  :signLOL:
Bye Bye Edition 30.