Make a donation

Author Topic: Had service today at VW. Should I complain they used wrong oil grade?  (Read 8270 times)

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
Re: Had service today at VW. Should I complain they used wrong oil grade?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 11:27:45 pm »
Doesn't really have to be run on longlife oil.  The dealer will use 5w30 longlife if the car is on variable servicing and 5w40 if its on fixed.

It's much better to change the oil every 10k and there is no issue with running the 5w40.

However, the dealer should not be using 10w40.

Imo the 5w30 is too thin for a tuned turbo engine and will run too hot and then too thin.

You do realise when the Teutonic sniffs this thread out he will have you wishing that you were brushing up APR's office with Jonny and Pov.  :pomppomp:     :evilgrin:                                                          

Lol. Just expressing my personal views  :happy2:
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline ktlstar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 11:28:38 pm »
This is exactly why i do all my service myself, i know EXACTlY what goes in the engine and regulary changed (5k).

- #1240 ED30 Revo STAGE2+
- Southeast - Vag Com owner

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 11:31:17 pm »
Doesn't really have to be run on longlife oil.  The dealer will use 5w30 longlife if the car is on variable servicing and 5w40 if its on fixed.

It's much better to change the oil every 10k and there is no issue with running the 5w40.

Imo the 5w30 is too thin for a tuned turbo engine and will run too hot and then too thin.

Alex - that is not correct.  OFFICIAL VW stealers MUST only use LL3 oils and are supposed to only use said LL3 brews in their workshop since 2008 - they have no jurisdiction to alter the OEM spec.

Only independents are free to 'recommend' alternative specs - and even then, if they know their lubes, should still be pushing for a LL3 spec oil over a considerably inferior non-LL brew.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 11:38:14 pm »
Doesn't really have to be run on longlife oil.  The dealer will use 5w30 longlife if the car is on variable servicing and 5w40 if its on fixed.

Alex - that is not correct.  OFFICIAL VW stealers MUST only use LL3 oils and are supposed to only use said LL3 brews in their workshop since 2008 - they have no jurisdiction to alter the OEM spec.

Only independents are free to 'recommend' alternative specs - and even then, if they know their lubes, should still be pushing for a LL3 spec oil over a considerably inferior non-LL brew.

Quite a civilised attack reply Sean?  :P

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 11:41:19 pm »
So let's say you have a tripple ester 5w40 (for a stage 2+ car) or a 10w60 (that the R8 for trackday use would use) that is the better grade for the usage, you would still say the LL3 is the better oil to have and is a better spec oil?

I understand that a dealer should always use LL3, but they argue that cars not on variable servicing can run 5w40.  What paperwork can the op show to the dealer stating that legally they have to use LL3 as this will help loads of stealer customers get the correct oil fitted?
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline perky85

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 04:57:31 pm »
5/30 should always be used as manufacturer spec.

it is possible that alex's theory of using a 5/40 for cooling properties could be correct, but it would be usage dependant.

But, what oil is being used in slightly more tuned engines from factory, I suspect 5/30 still.

Just throwing it out there!!

:happy2:

Offline Starshaped

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 05:09:43 pm »
Where has it come from that 5/30 must always be used? because the manual on my MK6 says for petrol engines 59kw-199kw 504.00 SPEC for longlife and either 504.00 or 502.00 without longlife. Since Quantum Platinum 5/40 meets 502.00 then that can be used for 10k interval,Alex is correct imo.

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 05:10:42 pm »
5w/40 for me. always have always will. i'm with alex on this one.

Offline perky85

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 05:13:00 pm »
Where has it come from that 5/30 must always be used? because the manual on my MK6 says for petrol engines 59kw-199kw 504.00 SPEC for longlife and either 504.00 or 502.00 without longlife. Since Quantum Platinum 5/40 meets 502.00 then that can be used for 10k interval,Alex is correct imo.

If you go to the dealer they must use 5/30 as that is what vw stipulate to their dealers.

Offline Starshaped

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2012, 05:14:26 pm »
Why does it say i can use it in my manual then?

Offline perky85

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2012, 05:18:45 pm »
these other lubes listed are the next safest alternatives outside the dealer network

Offline Starshaped

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2012, 05:57:55 pm »
In 2008 Volkswagen changed the minimum spec on petrol engines to be 502.00 on 10k intervals,the only oil Volkswagen sells which is 502.00 is Quantum Platinum 5w/40. Around the same time Volkswagen started fitting dpf's to diesel cars and for whatever reason they require longlife oil even if they are 10k interval servicing.

This could be the reason some dealers say Longlife must be used as it is easier for them to store only one type in bulk and less chance of them using the wrong oil,plus it costs more.

Offline Tinytim

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2012, 11:29:48 pm »
I've got 5 litres of Quantum Platinum 5/40 and was thinking of using it soon.

I plan to change the oil every 6 months.
Is there any point in me getting some long life oil or will I be absolutely fine using the bottle of 5/40 I already have?

If long life is going to be better for the engine even though I will change regularly I won't bother with this Quantom business I already have.

Offline Leonard

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2012, 02:08:48 pm »
Car back in at the dealers today.

All dealt with very professionally (although I do have that slight feeling of being considered a ‘nuisance’)

Pick car up later on anyway with Castrol Long Life in it. Although was told that semi synthetic is perfectly acceptable for gti if on time and distance servicing.

Will feedback later when I pick it up.

Cheers everyone for the replies

Offline pben47

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2012, 09:22:55 pm »
Just had the same problem, so I called the service manager and got told the following after he had investigated.

They used a Shell 10/40, as my Eddy is on TT sevice schedule, they told me this is what is recommended by the VW service manual.
I asked him why the car had LL3 on all previous services and he claimed this was just the other dealers profiteering by selling an expensive unnecessary LL3 grade oil.
He yold me he would quite happily show me the VW documentation that showed that they had used the correct oil pertaining to my chassis number. He told me that there were lots of speculation and opinion about what oils should be used for what purpose but they always stuck with VW recommendation.

Could someone please give me some actual reference to quote if indeed, as many of you have said, this is not the oil that VW stipulate must be used.

Thanks,
Paul