Make a donation

Author Topic: Flushing < Is this worth it?  (Read 6173 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
Flushing < Is this worth it?
« on: February 16, 2012, 11:38:28 pm »
With high mileage diesels (100k) is this sort of thing worth doing/using?

ADVANCED FORMULA DIESEL TREATMENT

Forte Advanced Formula Diesel Treatment has been specifically formulated to combat driveability concerns caused by the by products of combustion and the adverse effects of fuel degradation.

Forté Advanced Formula Diesel Treatment cleans and lubricates the whole of the fuel system both pre and post combustion, improving overall engine power and efficiency and considerably reducing costly downtime and component replacement in direct and indirect injection engines.

Forté Advanced Formula Diesel Treatment is compatible with ULSD, catalysts and particle filters and for use in Common Rail Direct Injection diesel engines and does not affect the cetane rating of diesel fuel.

Forté Advanced Formula Diesel Treatment is a multi functional diesel fuel treatment which when used as directed will provide the following performance benefits to all diesel engines.

Improve engine performance and driveability
Reduce noxious exhaust emissions Prevent fuel system corrosion and control fuel oxidation
Lubricate and extend the life of injectors and fuel pumps
Restore injector spray patterns Reduce valve and combustion chamber deposits and maintain EGR valve cleanliness
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
Re: Flushing < Is this worth it?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 11:41:43 pm »
+1 I'd like to know too :popcorn:

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 11:50:26 pm »
Been also told - every now and again you should flush you engine with oil.....I believe you run oil through the engine (with sump plug out) while hot

Not sure if this is correct?
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 08:26:17 am »
That should be interesting.  :popcornsoda:

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 08:37:40 am »
I seem to remember reading a TSB which vehemently indicated that these type of flushes were not VAG approved and were not to be used.  There was some lengthy debate on Briskoda as many people were having these added to their invoice by main dealers despite them not being approved.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 09:12:27 am »
I use Forte once a year usually before the MOT.

Also as for oil flush, last summer I had a sudden tappet noise, I ran Wynn's engine flush as instructed, drained the oil (jonny keep the sump plug in), changed the oil and filters and noise had gone.

If you do use any sort of flushing fluid, make sure you have everything needed for getting it out the system and to replenish your oil etc.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline higher1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 09:18:14 am »
Been also told - every now and again you should flush you engine with oil.....I believe you run oil through the engine (with sump plug out) while hot

That's a big NO unless you want to seize your engine very quickly ! Sump plug should always be in while engine is running along with the oil !
Ah-exclusive custom ultra low H&R Coilovers 110mm, ITG induction kit, 18" super RS's, USA rear bumper, USA front grille with smooth number plate surround,recaro bucket seats. now sold !

mk1 golf 1.8 20v turbo

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 09:45:27 am »
Apprciate the tips < please dont worry I will not be attempting this myself.

As for Forte < there is a VW garage near me that recomends it........

Do we have 'top 5 tips' to giving the engine a clean? clearing out the cobwebs so to speak

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 12:11:39 pm »
For what its worth I used Wurth engine flush in my previous vRS at 50k miles. I never had any issues with it and it was still going fine at 67k when I sold it and as far as I know the new owner hasn't had any issues either and the car now has 84k+ miles. However I then found that VAG were dead set against them so wouldn't do it again.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 12:17:56 pm »

That's a big NO unless you want to seize your engine very quickly ! Sump plug should always be in while engine is running along with the oil !

I didn't read that as though the engine would be running but oil simply poured in and allowed to run through and hence the engine being warm so that it flows more easily.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 12:29:54 pm »
Ooooo not while running!

I was told the best way to clean it through would be to....

1. Make sure the car is warm/hot - after a drive.
2. Remove the sump plug
3. Start putting the oil through and let in drain straight through.....

Kinda wash it out....and helps remove crap from the sump.

Offline wilmott1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 01:44:46 pm »
Out of my experience Forté is one of the best additives on the market and when i worked in a garage it was all we used to recommend.

The reason VAG dealers do not like these sort of products is because most engine flushes are paraffin based which will strip protective coatings from inside the engine. They also cause the rubber seals to perish quicker as well.

As I believe Forté engine flush does not contain paraffin, Therefore making i safe to use in modern engines.

The link below show the product you need for a oil flush. The diesel treatment is for the fuel system.

http://www.forteuk.co.uk/product.php?id=43/Advanced_Formula_Motor_Flush

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 05:44:38 pm »
I used the forte treatment on my anni pd, as did Tony Danza on here, also on his anni pd, after 50k of build up put the full bottle in on half a tank and went for a drive. I continued to do this each year few weeks before the MOT service was due, was still running like a peach when i sold it with about 72k on it.
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline mrxbox360

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 10
  • My Ride: 2008 Golf Mk5 GT TDI Sport 5dr Reflex Silver Personal Enchanced
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 12:05:24 am »
i had the forte fuel stuff added to my 2008 gt tdi with 123k at my last full service & my car runs like a dream  :happy2:

Offline craigy123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 01:11:07 pm »
Ooooo not while running!

I was told the best way to clean it through would be to....

1. Make sure the car is warm/hot - after a drive.
2. Remove the sump plug
3. Start putting the oil through and let in drain straight through.....

Kinda wash it out....and helps remove crap from the sump.

Have a think about this, really. If your after a new engine, this is the way to go.

PM for details