Make a donation

Author Topic: OEM discs and pads  (Read 8068 times)

Offline Beddie

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
Re: OEM discs and pads
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 07:24:14 am »
Been on Euro carparts webbo, and they only seem to have 288mm diameter discs or 345mm, I thought these were 312mm for boggo standard on the front?
The ECP site is notoriously tricky when trying to select parts especially discs and pads as it will list all the available mk5 golf sizes rather than those for the gti,
Correct size for the front of the gti is 312x25mm and the rear is 286mm, bear in mind that the rear disc spec has been changed at dealer level to now be 282mm but they will fit perfectly fine  :happy2:
If buying from ECP then I'd personally avoid any brands other than Pagid or ATE as these are OE quality equivalents, don't rule the dealer / tps out completely as imo the oem discs are of better quality than most 3rd party stuff...

As for pads, ferodo ds performance are not a bad choice if you don't intend any track work and have the benefit of being reg 90 compliant and therefore 'road legal', ds2500 is also a good pad but getting pricey and maybe overkill for your intended use?
Mintex m1144 are also a good choice and offer the same level of performance as the ds2500 at around 60% of the price, imo I wouldn't spend big money on rear pads as it's just not worth it and oem ones will be perfectly fine, if you do want to then consider the Hawk HPS ones as they are cheap and very good  :happy2:

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline Upperoilcan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 08:17:27 am »
I had my discs and pads done on both front and rear for around £460:00 last year by VW after being quoted over £600:00.

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 08:26:02 am »
Been on Euro carparts webbo, and they only seem to have 288mm diameter discs or 345mm, I thought these were 312mm for boggo standard on the front?
The ECP site is notoriously tricky when trying to select parts especially discs and pads as it will list all the available mk5 golf sizes rather than those for the gti,
Correct size for the front of the gti is 312x25mm and the rear is 286mm, bear in mind that the rear disc spec has been changed at dealer level to now be 282mm but they will fit perfectly fine  :happy2:
If buying from ECP then I'd personally avoid any brands other than Pagid or ATE as these are OE quality equivalents, don't rule the dealer / tps out completely as imo the oem discs are of better quality than most 3rd party stuff...

As for pads, ferodo ds performance are not a bad choice if you don't intend any track work and have the benefit of being reg 90 compliant and therefore 'road legal', ds2500 is also a good pad but getting pricey and maybe overkill for your intended use?
Mintex m1144 are also a good choice and offer the same level of performance as the ds2500 at around 60% of the price, imo I wouldn't spend big money on rear pads as it's just not worth it and oem ones will be perfectly fine, if you do want to then consider the Hawk HPS ones as they are cheap and very good  :happy2:

I had a hell of a job trying to figure out the correct pad sizes for the GTI when I was ordering from Euro but (I hope) managed to suss it out eventually.

Here are the pagid EuroCarParts part numbers if it helps anyone

104441508 - Front Discs
104441518 - Rear Discs
Deleted
101441178 - Rear Pads

Total came to £180 after the 25% discount.

Edit - Think I ordered front pads for the R32 instead of GTI so I have deleted the P/N.  Apologies if you ordered this  :ashamed:
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 10:20:37 pm by ub7rm »
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline lukejenks101

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 08:29:25 am »
I work for peugeot and have a good discount from tps so if you want me to find out how much i can get them for let me know, i live in bristol

Offline lukejenks101

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 08:40:02 am »
Just phone tps, I can get it all for £200 inc vat

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 09:18:50 am »
Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate all of that.

It never fails  to amaze me what a brilliant forum this is. Everyone helping each other keep their MK5's on the road for less dollar and with maximum fun.

:congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :happy2:

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline mbastow

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 08:17:57 am »
Hi Guys - I've been following this thread because I need new disks and pads for my Edition 30.  Just phoned my local TPS and they told me where to go!  Seems that they do not do any trade with the public - probably so the public ends up going to a franchised dealer and paying top whack.    :fighting:

Am I missing something or have 'members of the public' on here managed to get parts from TPS??  Does it depend on the branch?

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 08:30:08 am »
Be aware of Pagid OEM equivalent replacement discs + pads. These are ONLY suitable for road use imo. I had a set of these and they are no where near as capable for a bit of light track day indulgence as proper VAG OEM discs in my view. Threw the Pagids in the bin after 2 months of use.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 09:43:32 pm by chungster »

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 08:31:39 am »
Hi Guys - I've been following this thread because I need new disks and pads for my Edition 30.  Just phoned my local TPS and they told me where to go!  Seems that they do not do any trade with the public - probably so the public ends up going to a franchised dealer and paying top whack.    :fighting:

Am I missing something or have 'members of the public' on here managed to get parts from TPS??  Does it depend on the branch?

It depends on the TPS branch. Some will sell to the public and others won't.

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 08:32:52 am »

Yes it does.  Years ago my local TPS would sell to the public.  It is run by the same franchise that runs the local VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda dealers (got it all sown up) and even the parts guys at VW would tell you to go there if they didn't have stock.  But TPS used to sell to the public at pretty much retail prices.  Then they tightened up and its trade only.  As suggested above, if you go in with a part number they might not question you too much and accept card / cash payment but it does vary.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 08:34:08 am »
Be aware of Pagid OEM equivalent replacement discs. These are ONLY suitable for road use imo. I had a set of these and they are no where near as capable for a bit of light track day indulgence as proper VAG OEM discs in my view. Threw the Pagids in the bin after 2 months of use.

I don't do track days but interesting info none the less.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2012, 09:21:01 am »

It depends on the TPS branch. Some will sell to the public and others won't.

I think a sticky should be made with a list of branches that do sell to the public... :happy2:

Rich

Offline donovan2123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 08:33:58 pm »
It may just be me but those oem equivalent pads and disks from ecp are pants. Nothing but brake fade and sparks from disintegrating pads.

People say oem use pagid but my new oems are made by ferodo or ever u spell it.

I would warn anyone from using pagid cheapo pads.

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2012, 09:06:09 pm »
It may just be me but those oem equivalent pads and disks from ecp are pants. Nothing but brake fade and sparks from disintegrating pads.

People say oem use pagid but my new oems are made by ferodo or ever u spell it.

I would warn anyone from using pagid cheapo pads.

OEM suppliers will vary depending on who's put the best bid in at the time.  Same reason some GTI's rolled off the line with Michelin tyres, some with continental etc.  OEM suppliers are pagid / ATE / Ferrodo and probably others.  Worried you say that as I've just taken delivery of my new pagid discs and pads and they generally review well..
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2012, 09:46:23 pm »
just get ones via dealer/TPS - the parts with have the official VAG Part number stamped on them.

I couldn't find these at all on the Pagid discs i got - hence i was annoyed but then i did use an inde garage to source and fit them when maybe i should have sourced them myself from TPS.

Lesson learnt and i won't be using those again I can tell you.