Make a donation

Author Topic: Picked up my Edition 30 today - need some advice  (Read 8014 times)

Offline Beddie

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
Re: Picked up my Edition 30 today - need some advice
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2012, 03:11:58 pm »
Sorry to hear you've had some shocking customer service already mate!  :fighting:

But before you get too despondent about engine damage caused then bear in mind that the car has a dual level oil warning system.. The orange oil level warning is exactly that, a warning that the oil level has reached it's recommended minimum and will be returned to normal from that level with a 1 litre top up bottle, whilst this is to be best avoided if possible it is quite different to the red low oil pressure light coming on..

It's not uncommon for the dealers to top up to the bare minimum of oil during a service and therefore the oil level can quickly drop down to the min mark, it's terrible customer service regardless but if it was the orange 'low level' warning then I wouldn't be too concerned at all  :happy2:

Most modern bmws and mercs no longer even have a dipstick and rely on level monitoring via the obc, when the level drops to min it politely asks you to top up the required 1 litre, for that reason is why the 1 litre top up bottles exist iirc..

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline Billy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 9
  • I was born a while ago and I'm not dead yet.
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2012, 04:14:08 pm »
Billy, can i ask, how much oil did you have to put in it to return it to the Max mark??

I only put one litre in it. When I checked the car this morning it was showing as half full on the dipstick.

Offline Billy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2012, 04:21:32 pm »
Sorry to hear you've had some shocking customer service already mate!  :fighting:

But before you get too despondent about engine damage caused then bear in mind that the car has a dual level oil warning system.. The orange oil level warning is exactly that, a warning that the oil level has reached it's recommended minimum and will be returned to normal from that level with a 1 litre top up bottle, whilst this is to be best avoided if possible it is quite different to the red low oil pressure light coming on..

It's not uncommon for the dealers to top up to the bare minimum of oil during a service and therefore the oil level can quickly drop down to the min mark, it's terrible customer service regardless but if it was the orange 'low level' warning then I wouldn't be too concerned at all  :happy2:

Most modern bmws and mercs no longer even have a dipstick and rely on level monitoring via the obc, when the level drops to min it politely asks you to top up the required 1 litre, for that reason is why the 1 litre top up bottles exist iirc..

That's kind of how I'm looking at it mate, however most folk on here seem to be recommending handing the car back no matter what.

I agree that it is shocking customer service and should never happen, I'm sure that this and worse happens all the time.

Offline welikeaps

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2012, 04:23:55 pm »
Sorry to hear this, but so many VW stealers are terrible when it comes to Customer Services, unless you are buying brand new.

I'd return the car under the 30 day/1000 mile guarantee and go and buy a car with your hard earned from somewhere else. You can always take out a 3rd party warranty to cover the car as the used approved warranties from VW are rubbish too.

Saintsteve

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2012, 04:26:39 pm »
Billy, can i ask, how much oil did you have to put in it to return it to the Max mark??

I only put one litre in it. When I checked the car this morning it was showing as half full on the dipstick.

So that means that the car had just about over 3 litres of oil still in it. I doubt it would of caused any damage to the internals luckerly  :happy2:

Offline Billy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2012, 04:31:11 pm »

So that means that the car had just about over 3 litres of oil still in it. I doubt it would of caused any damage to the internals luckerly  :happy2:

I hope so mate as I don't want the hassle of returning the car :(

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2012, 04:34:54 pm »
You ever taken a sump off a car Steve? And have you ever looked at the sensor in the sump to see how low oil has to be to trigger the low oil light

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Billy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2012, 04:41:42 pm »
I did have a low oil warning come on in my old Z4 Coupe once. I put some oil in it and it was fine.

Saintsteve

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2012, 05:16:38 pm »
 Matt, the oil pickup is much lower then 3 litres of oil level is in the sump, you don't need to know that even if I've not physically removed the sump. The sump pickup generally is just off the base, normally baffled so oil is not sloshed about the pan of the sump, 3 litres in the sump will still push enough about, as long as the O.P wasn't going flat out which I'm sure he wouldn't of been.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2012, 05:17:12 pm »
Sounds like a lot of over-reaction in this thread. Fair enough the dealer has performed terribly, but it's almost what you expect of them.

Surely the oil light acts in the same way as the petrol light i.e. when it comes on it is an indication that you need to top up. I'm sure VW haven't implemented a system whereby the first warning comes too late and you've already done damage.

Take the dealer for everything you can, but if the car is good otherwise then hang on to it.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2012, 05:24:37 pm »
Sounds like a lot of over-reaction in this thread. Fair enough the dealer has performed terribly, but it's almost what you expect of them.

Surely the oil light acts in the same way as the petrol light i.e. when it comes on it is an indication that you need to top up. I'm sure VW haven't implemented a system whereby the first warning comes too late and you've already done damage.

Take the dealer for everything you can, but if the car is good otherwise then hang on to it.

Finally some sense!  :congrats:

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2012, 05:50:25 pm »
Billy, I'd play this dealer as hard as you can; they are on the defensive after ****ing up.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/used/what-approval-means/tab8

And I quote Our skilled, Volkswagen trained technicians carry out a comprehensive workshop inspection of every used car before it can become an Approved Used Car

That's what I'd be using to batter the dealer principal with, and use it to make his service manager beg for his/her job. Complaining to VWUK that the dealer didn't meet the required standards of used car checking would be very high on the list too.

Once you have the dealer on the back foot and apologising/offering sweeteners, I'd demand from them, in writing that they will warrant any bottom end engine faults, particularly any that are possibly attributable to oil starvation.

God only knows how many halfwit car owners drive around with oil lights on. Modern cars don't implode simply because the oil level is low. If they did, the hard shoulder of the motorway network would be littered with drooling idiots gazing at conrods and cranks strewn across the carriageway. The orange 'warning' light is just that; a warning that you need to top up your oil. A fuel warning light gives notice that you need more fuel in the same way. It doesn't come on when the engine is about to sup the last drop in the tank.

So nail the dealer for service worse than most backstreet garages; bear in mind that you pay a premium for a dealer-network "approved car". And you just paid that premium for sod all. I'd want some sort of sweetener for that as well as a guarantee against engine issues, and the Service Manager's head on a plate.

But I wouldn't hand the car back, unless you get to day 29 of your 30 day period and havent had satisfaction from the dealer. Then I'd ring the principal & tell him to collect it and ram the car up his hoop. Sideways :evilgrin:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline Billy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2012, 05:32:03 pm »
Good news.

I've just spoken to the VW dealer and they have given the car the thumbs up.

It had a major service done to it today and an inspection the the oil sensor, check for leaks etc and all good.

Fingers crossed they know what they're talking about and I'm all good to go and I can now fully enjoy the car  :driver:

One bad point is that they told me the car had an unrepairable puncture in one tyre so I had to spring for a tyre for them. £142 for a Hankook. Bloody main dealer dealer prices. I'll let the other tyres wear down a bit more and replace them all later on in the year with one brand as that will now be two Goodyears on the front and a Hankook and a Michellin on the back.

Offline ED30_jase

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2012, 07:19:32 pm »
Good news.

I've just spoken to the VW dealer and they have given the car the thumbs up.

It had a major service done to it today and an inspection the the oil sensor, check for leaks etc and all good.

Fingers crossed they know what they're talking about and I'm all good to go and I can now fully enjoy the car  :driver:

One bad point is that they told me the car had an unrepairable puncture in one tyre so I had to spring for a tyre for them. £142 for a Hankook. Bloody main dealer dealer prices. I'll let the other tyres wear down a bit more and replace them all later on in the year with one brand as that will now be two Goodyears on the front and a Hankook and a Michellin on the back.

Isn't it illegal to run two different tread patterns on the same axle or am I just making things up? or just maybe not recommended?

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2012, 07:37:06 pm »
It's not illegal to run different tread patterns long as the spec of the  are the same