Make a donation

Author Topic: Rim paint job  (Read 999 times)

Offline rex

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
Rim paint job
« on: March 07, 2012, 07:35:29 am »
Hello!
I have a problem and I hope you guys might have some more information to help me.
Well, the problem I have is with a rim... To be more precise, I got hit by another car who failed to give way when it was suppose to. So as a result a have a few scratches on the front left rim. The other cars insurance who has to cover the damage refuses to change the rim, instead they would like to paint the wheel.
The process for painting the rim they want is NOT powder coat. They would like to paint the rims just like any other element on the car (bumper, hood, etc). I doubt this is a good idea because the paint on the car is not meant to sustain the high temperatures that a rims should sustain. When the brakes are hot, the caliper exceeds 300 degrees Celsius and the rims is no more than 1cm from the brake caliper so I would suspect it also gets very hot...
Now, my problem is that I need some information about:

1. The temperature that the bumper/other body parts is made to sustain. I spoke to the dealer (who was suppose to paint the rims) and they should send me a technical document for this but I am hoping some of you might also know this.

2. The temperature that a OEM new wheel is made to sustain before the paint cracks.

So, if you have any knowledge that would help me answer the 2 questions below please share that info.

Here is a picture of the wheel:

Thank you very much!

Offline sideshowfred

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: Rim paint job
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 08:30:00 am »
All I can advise you on is that i've refurbed a set of rims on my old car with standard primer/paint/wheel lacquer. I never had any problems with heat getting to them and affecting the paint. That's as useful as I can be though i'm afraid.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=mo57dogebhhbhqok0s3421caoi&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 09:10:19 am »
Are they OEM finish? If so they are probably painted anyway.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 09:50:34 am »

I must've got up too early I just had an anti climax after reading the title 'rim job'  :grin:

Offline rex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 02:38:31 pm »
All I can advise you on is that i've refurbed a set of rims on my old car with standard primer/paint/wheel lacquer. I never had any problems with heat getting to them and affecting the paint. That's as useful as I can be though i'm afraid.
Did you warm up the brakes properly? Any track use?

Are they OEM finish? If so they are probably painted anyway.
I have no idea how the OEM rims are painted (powder coat or normal paint). But as the OEM Goal rims I used on track had no issues with the heat (and the brakes were really hot) I presume the OEM rims are powder coated. Am I wrong?

Offline sideshowfred

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 02:49:48 pm »
Did you warm up the brakes properly? Any track use?

Never did any track use. Did lot's of fast road use and never seemed to have any problems. As far as I know the factory rims are painted, i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong  :happy2: