Make a donation

Author Topic: What makes you change car?  (Read 3786 times)

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
Re: What makes you change car?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 07:18:51 pm »
I've only "changed" my car once - I've owned 5 cars, and still have 4 of them. The only car I got rid of, I did because it was a financial liability. I still own my first car, bought new in 1997. Mighty tatty now, but still works fine - use it as a pool car for friends and family when theirs break or a bridging car is needed between sales and purchases!

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 07:28:45 pm »
I wanted a mk4 golf 130 TDI, i had a very retro mk2 astra 1.3 1 owner from new 50 k on the clock, everything ever done to it had the invoice in the pack, anyway my OH went out to get a new car, as she can never make her mind up i stayed with the kids while she went out looking, it had to be less than 2 yrs old (work reasons) and we had a total of £14k to spend, she got her 57plate 105 mk5, i still wanted the mk4 hated the mk5 with a passion, the following day we went to the beach with the kids, we stopped for fuel and she refused to drive, she wanted me to, i did and loved it, but still wanted the mk4, i went into work on the monday and my bossed pulled in a black 5dr 105 tdi SE i asked how much he told me i bought it there and then and never looked back

I dont wanna sell her, ive had a lad down the road offer me £5500 for her and i still wont part, mainly because i couldnt replace her for that, altho i have fallen in love with an ED30, but going from 55mpg to 30 would be a hard pill to swallow
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline perky85

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 07:38:55 pm »
So far I have only ever owned 1 car for longer than 12months  :scared: & thats because at the time it was a difficult car to sell.

I have only owned 3 cars that I have wanted, the others were other through necessity, or keeping costs down. I have just come from a Combo van & Series 1 RS Turbo to MK5 gti.

Same with bikes, they last one season.

If I'm not changing through boredom, I change through change in circumstances, whatever they may be at the time!

Offline Gladiator

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 4
  • Edition 30 No.1059 - GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 08:56:26 pm »
Change of circumstances really for me......either trade up if money is good or trade down if I need to free up some cash.

However, I would struggle to find anything that gives me as much pleasure to drive and own as my Eddie for under £20k right now!!

Unfortunately I might be trading down soon  :sad1:

GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN - Edition30 No. 1059
Currently loving - SEAT Leon FR184 - sunroof, tech pack, 18" performance alloys, convenience and sound pack

Offline TANNER

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 09:26:14 pm »
If I can afford it and I want it, I try and justify having it! Couldn't really afford the golf but after moving into a house that needed work doing to it, my MR2 couldn't cut the b&q runs. The misses said I should have something more sensible - that was my excuse for a hatchback! :jumpmove:

Before this I'd traded a lupo Gti for the mr2 roadster, I wanted a 2seat sports car but couldn't afford insurance on an s2000 so mr2 was a fun substitute. Throughout owning all my cars I've wanted a mk2 Gti though and not yet had one. As soon as we move into a house with a garage I will fulfil my need! :P

Offline chris_P_Bacon

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 09:30:33 pm »
Bought my silver MkIV when it was 5 years old and had 28K on.

60K later engine light kept coming on more and more often but garage could not find the fault so Px'd it last month for a 5 year old silver MkV with 29K on the clock.   :driver:

Creature of habit me.

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 09:35:26 pm »
I really wanted a black MK4. There was one near where we lived that was tinted, lowered, chrome bbs rims etc. Loved it. Whilst researching the mk4, I saw the mk5 and fell in love. Bought it within a couple of weeks of thinking about it. The fact it was an ED30 was almost accidental.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Bane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
  • "I was born a handsome man and now I'm half a goat
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 10:19:06 pm »
Not sure what makes me change cars other feeling the need to when the time is right.Or out of neccesity....
My first VW was a Corrado G60 that was a step up from a modified Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6 and even then it wasn't what I had intended to get....that was a SAAB 900 Turbo!
The G60 with it's 160bhp and supercharged whine had me hooked and tbh,I didn't really register the Corrado or VW's in general at that time!
Went to VW action in 2001 and GTI international in 03 and 04 and then decided to take the rad off the road for some tweakage and bought a left hooker Polo 1.0 to tool around in.Soon got bored of that and got myself an alpine white MK2 GTI 8v(which was bought back by the person I bought it from)
That was then replaced by an Audi S3 which was a bloody good car,but so dull to drive.I had it for around 4 years and was looking to replace and saw a MK5 GTI on the forecourt of the local VW dealer.Wasn't a big fan of the styling of the MK5 but I took a test drive and just knew that this car was for me-it reminded me of the MK2 and put a hooooge grin on my face!
Didn't even know about the Edition30,so had to look it up on the net and was surprised and a little excited about the 230bhp it has!
Dunno what to replace the Golf with cos it's such a good all rounder,not in any hurry to change anyway.but when I do,it'll probably be something more frugal as a daily and have something else tucked away for that power thrill! 

Offline laserblue999

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 11:14:11 pm »
Liking this thread!

I think I've changed as a person as I got older and my car career has reflected this. I've been  VW person pretty much throughout ever since my Mk1 Golf C GTI-replica in 1996, my first car! It was cheap to run as I went through college and uni and an iconic ride. When I finished uni and saw my mates with RS Turbos and 205 GTIs I plumped for a (visually identical to my first Mk1) Golf Mk1 GTI. This lasted a year as I got richer, got a proper job and went for a boy-racer-tastic MR2, where I went to town on bodykits, huge alloys etc. In retrospect a lot of wasted money as I learned I would never get it back come resale!

Then due to said finances getting a bit out of control I sold the MR2 and bought a 2.0 16v Corrado. Great car, great engine - a quality ride but got bored a year later and bought two cars. This is where I started going a bit strange and went for a LHD G40 Polo. Stupidly fast and light but terrible suspension, brakes and tyres made it a handful esp in the wet! I also had a 1980 Golf GLI cab which was always going wrong electrically. The G40 made way for a Clio Williams which was pristine and quick, if a bit fragile.

Then I bought a house with a garage. The Golf was upgraded to a LHD Sportline model which became my pride and joy in this garage. The Clio kept getting me penalty points so a sensible Audi A6 Avant 1.8t (LPG) was bought as we now had a dog. The real dog turned out to be the Audi.....I'm still paying for this dreadful experience today........... :sick:

Got married and bought a T25 LHD camper - getting ambidextrous now! So had two left hand drive cars that I alternated in . This lasted two years before I realised that old cars for everyday really don't work out that well. I had become a father and realised a comprimise financially and logistically was needed but I wanted something fast I would get into and enjoy as my one luxury. A safe, modern but cool 5dr Mk5 GTI fitted the bill, so I pooled the finances of both LHD oddities and bought my current car.

I can honestly say I would keep this ten years - by then it may well have a status akin to the Mk2 GTI. The quality is certainly there and I have no signs of boredom which is a common issue for me :love:! In conclusion its about money and life circumstancs mixed with a bit of 'grass is greener' speculation!!
'05 GTI - laser blue, 5dr, DSG, blue glass, heated leather, highline, cruise, sat nav, 10 speaker stereo,MFSW, xenons, 18" Monza, puddle lights, Ipod, retractable mirrors, factory tints, winter/summer mats, bootmat, luggage net, mudflaps, tailored blinds, x-tec plate leds - always looking for more OEM options.......pretending the pikey paddles are OEM+!!

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 20
  • Supersonic
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 11:28:06 pm »
For me is I enjoy change in general be it job, car etc. I've always had jap cars but once tried Polo I liked the stiff suspension and handling compared to jap cars. Then shifted polo for gti and never looked back. Once all mods are in they are few cars that can beat it performance, enjoyment or practical wise in my opinion. Slightly disappointed with reliability but modern cars will never be as reliable as 10 years back due to electronics and volkswagen is not an exception.... It's more a myth me thinks

Paul
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline reflex11

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 11:30:02 pm »
at the time I was driving my moms car.. all autos.. ford fiesta, merc a class, peoguet 206.. then a 1.6 golf mk4(still wish I had it).... it felt so good to drive and was so reliable and sturdy.. i fell in love with it straight away.. then kept reading on forums that the mk5 is much improved..so looked to buy a gt tdi for myself.. at the last second i pulled out and bought a gti instead  :jumping:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 11:32:33 pm by reflex11 »

Offline JackG

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 11:55:40 pm »
Speed with me  :driver:
Will not sell the ed30 but when I'm 25 my 25th Bday Pressent will be a 2012 track pack nissan GT-R in black  :drool:
I see something fast and want it!
Had a polo GTI 1.6 16V and went to veiw a polo G40 purly to tyre kick  :ashamed: when I found it is was 171 BHP and weighed under 700KG the test drive had me sold  :signLOL:
Sold my G40 when I went out on road test in a steel grey ED30....then I fell love! The MK5 golf GTI has a thing for capturing your heart and making it feel like a new car everyday you drive it simply fills you with excitement  :love:

That's why I will never sell my ED30!

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!