Make a donation

Author Topic: My trip to VWR  (Read 6901 times)

Offline luca

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
My trip to VWR
« on: May 06, 2009, 05:46:13 pm »
Well yesterday the ed30 was finally ready to have the uprated clutch fitted at VWR as the stock clutch wouldnt hold the power from 3rd gear onwards :sad:
As soon as i arrived i was greeted by mark (top bloke and petrolhead :happy2:)
He showed me the awesome cars they had in which included a few track mk5 gti's, a crazy 270bhp diesel caddy van they have and 2 ktm xbows :drool:
After looking around and having a quick chat to mark he took my keys and gave me the keys to the lovely VWR golf R300 :party:

Had around 3 1/2 hours with the car and was blown away by the performance, in a straight line it was similar to mine but it was on the twisties it was a completely different car. It was so planted and just gripped and gripped. The setup on that car is perfect IMO. Thought it would have been quite a harsh ride but was surprisingly comfortable and i could easily live with that setup as an everyday car.

Next thing is the brakes :surprised:, after getting a little heat into them, HOLY S**T!!!! they are the best brakes i have ever used, they stopped better than the porsche turbo setup i had on my mini :laugh:.

Got a txt from mark to say the car was ready so i headed back to pick my car up.
I wanted to see my old clutch to see if it was worn badly but to my surprise it looked like new :confused:. Mark explained that the clutch was fine but just couldnt handle the torque and wasnt gripping properly. I decided to keep the clutch as if i sell the car and take the mods off, i could put the old clutch back on, knowing it would work absolutely fine on my car if it was running stock power :happy2:

I said my goodbyes and was ready for my 180 mile journey back home, i got used to the clutch before i was out of milton keynes thanks to all the roundabouts :grin:.
Done around 200+ miles now the clutch is starting to bed in nicely and im getting no slip at all :jumpmove:. Revo is turned back up to what it was so the car feels like a rocket now :evilgrin:.

Next on the list is going to be coilovers and diff :party:
Time to start saving :grin:

(sorry i have no pics, forgot my camera :ashamed:. Plently of pics of the cars they have anyway, in matts and RR's threads :happy2:)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 05:57:00 pm by luca »

Tornado red ED30, Revo stage 2, ITG Panel filter, 3" Blueflame turbo back exhaust, leon cupra front brakes, ecs dogbone mount, WALK kit, Eibach sportlines, Satin black Monza II's, VWR/sachs paddle clutch

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
Re: My trip to VWR
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 06:13:37 pm »
Sounds good, how much is the clutch ?

Offline luca

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 07:51:21 pm »
Clutch cost £515 fitted, clutch on its own is around £370ish i think :happy2:

Tornado red ED30, Revo stage 2, ITG Panel filter, 3" Blueflame turbo back exhaust, leon cupra front brakes, ecs dogbone mount, WALK kit, Eibach sportlines, Satin black Monza II's, VWR/sachs paddle clutch

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 08:01:31 pm »
sounds like you had a good day! glad to hear your liking the ed30 again now! i bet it was frustrating not being able to use all that power

Offline golfman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 33
  • If your not first your last!!!
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69645.0.html
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 08:37:10 pm »
Sounds good, how much is the clutch ?
x2 :happy2:

Modded The Way I Like It!!!!!!
Vag-com Hex+Can in scotland
I Hate Timewasters...

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 09:18:26 pm »
Good news Luca  :happy2:

Glad to hear your rocket ship is back to full health!  :jumpmove: :driver:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 11:59:31 pm »

Really pleased to hear that VWR have yet another very satisfied customer!

Are you going for the VWR-KW-V3 coilovers like mine? They compliment the Quaife diff extremely well.

:happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline dan.payne

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 10:02:32 am »
I will be doing exactly the same in the not to distant future as my phase 2 E30 has began to slip in 5th and 6th :party:
GTi Edition 30 Phase 2+ :jumping:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 11:43:10 am »
Good stuff mate! My car is with them now having a load of stuff done to it, again Sam and Mark were great and even more so I feel now that there is now way my car will be going anywher else from now on!

APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline CocoPops

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 11
    • Kennet Heath
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 12:02:19 pm »
Is it an uprated clutch then?

You mention you got used to it... does that mean it works differently then?
Used to Own: 2008 GTI Ed30 | ITG Intake | Miltek TBE System | Bluefin Stage 2 | 327bhp
On Order: 2017 Golf GTI Performance Pack 5dr DSG
Also own: 2016 Lotus Evora 400

Offline luca

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 01:28:06 pm »
Is it an uprated clutch then?

You mention you got used to it... does that mean it works differently then?

Yes its uprated mate, not sure what the clutch is rated to for torque and power.
The only difference with the clutch is the biting point is higher, its no heavier or harder to use than the stock clutch :happy2:

Offline luca

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 01:37:41 pm »

Really pleased to hear that VWR have yet another very satisfied customer!

Are you going for the VWR-KW-V3 coilovers like mine? They compliment the Quaife diff extremely well.

Would love those coilovers but to be honest i dont want to spend that much on coilovers and probably wouldnt need the adjustability they offer. They are awesome but i think something like the kw v1's or eibach pro street would be fine for me. Along with a diff and some antiroll bars. Need to do it in stages, so coilies first, then anti roll bars and diff :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 02:42:52 pm »

Would love those coilovers but to be honest i dont want to spend that much on coilovers and probably wouldnt need the adjustability they offer. They are awesome but i think something like the kw v1's or eibach pro street would be fine for me. Along with a diff and some antiroll bars. Need to do it in stages, so coilies first, then anti roll bars and diff :happy2:

....I don't actually use the adjustability of my VWR-KW-V3's myself, but it has enabled Mark to setup my suspension perfectly for my 'Fast Road' use.

Economically, the ideal would be to fit the ARB's in the same workshop session as the coilovers. Otherwise, I'd go for the ARB's first. It's a slippery slope!!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 05:02:19 pm »
hmmmmmmmmm, can see a trip to VWR myself to get slippy the ever slipping clutch out and replace it with something that likes to grip !!

Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30 No:- 2101, 3Dr, Tornado Red, Rear Tints, RCD510 & Sound Pack, Arm Rest
Mk1 Golf GTi 16v Helios Blue, Too Many Mods To List .... MY First Car ! Owned Since 1996 !!! NEARLY READY !!!!!

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 05:06:12 pm »
It seems almost all ed30 clutches are slipping after remaps at the moment.  Does this issue effect s3's??