Make a donation

Author Topic: Guys tell me to stop being so pedantic about my car!!  (Read 4577 times)

Offline stinger

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Guys tell me to stop being so pedantic about my car!!
« on: March 23, 2012, 11:24:05 am »
Hey folks. I think i'm becoming obsessed or pedantic or something.....

For months now the flat below us has been empty. They have the parking space next to ours which my GTI obviously sits in. Now the guy who used to live there had a Focus RS in stunning condition so I knew I didn't have too much to worry about parking next to him.

Anyways... My wife comes in last night and says "oh I see there is someone moved in downstairs as I can hear kids in the flat" Of course this gets the cogs turning. I says did you see what car they had but she hadn't taken much notice except it was "green"

So I goes downstairs today and my worst fears come to life. There parked next to my GTI is the biggest rusting dirty mess of a three door ford Ka. I would have taken piuctures to show i'm not exagerating but I might get spotted. Its so bad someone has written clean me on the side. I've never seen such a rusty car. To top it all off it had a kids seat in the back so those doors are going to be swinging!

I appreciate not everyone can afford a nice car or bothers to look after their car but i'm thinking its a matter of time before one of those doors cracks mine in the side.

Guys do yous think i'm being pedantic? Tell me to man up its just a chunk of metal!

Offline Weston

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 32
Re: Guys tell me to stop being so pedantic about my car!!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 11:31:00 am »
Just because their car is a state doesn't mean they're careless & inconsiderate. I'd be a bit concerned though just in case.
GTI going...

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 11:32:40 am »
it is just a chunk of metal but i totally get where your coming from. Fortunately i have my own drive but to empathise when i use the discovery and do a school run its shocking to see just how nonchalant other people are when it comes to respecting the car next to them in a carpark... not really the kids fault but the parents could take more control when i watch doors meeting doors almost daily as kids wrestle school bags into cars while they climb in too

the awkwardness will come if the damage does happen and you have to confront your neighbour about it is suppose. not knowing the layout of your space, is there no way you can park over to the side a bit more or not park directly next to it?

Offline RENNTAG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 23
  • Premium Performance Parts
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 11:33:42 am »
Im the same. Hate anything parking next to my car. But seeing as they are now your new neighbours they will probably try their best to avoid damaging your car. Its the people in supermarket car parks who do it cos you will never know who it was.

Offline GTsport

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 11:36:34 am »
No you're not being pedantic at all! Yes it is probably wrong to judge the person by their car but i'd also be very concerened about my car!!!

Soon as you said kids i'd all ready jumped the gun and had in my head car doors opening getting them in the car.

On the flip side though, as said above, you'd hope thy'd take extra care with it being your neighbour  :scared:

« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 11:40:06 am by GTsport »

Offline stinger

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 11:37:54 am »
Yeah the people might be totally fine and considerate I dont know yet. I could park in the visitors spaces I guess but I dont like taking those up as my space is numbered and there can be alot of folk visiting here.

cant believe i'm so bothered about this. I'm sure it'll be fine. I just want to keep my car looking great as I work hard to have it in the first place.

Bendy I think you've a good point mate.

Offline GTsport

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 11:46:09 am »
I know what you mean, i wish i wasnt as bothered about my car in a way, but im obsessed with it.  If anyone pulls up next to me at work i find myself watching them to make sure they dont do anything  :ashamed:

It might reassure you once you've spoken to her and introduced yourself - Then if she comes across a genuinely nice person it might stop niggling away at you if you get what i mean  :happy2:

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 12:18:49 pm »
My brother had same issue with his neighbours at his flat, so he used to get his wife to park her company car in the "Official numbered" space and park his pride and joy in visitors space to avoid the junkpile next door.
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 02:36:51 pm »
It wouldnt be unreasonable to go and introduce yourself to your new neighbour. You could drop a few hints at how car proud you are in the process. People dont talk enough to each other these days. Failing that, a cheap cctv monitoring device.
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline higher1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 04:34:46 pm »
Im with you it would be my worst nightmare (except maybe a 4x4) even if she is nice you just know one of those doors is going to hit your car at some point it takes a certain kind of person to totally respect someone elses car and there own 24/7 and a accident is pretty likely
Ah-exclusive custom ultra low H&R Coilovers 110mm, ITG induction kit, 18" super RS's, USA rear bumper, USA front grille with smooth number plate surround,recaro bucket seats. now sold !

mk1 golf 1.8 20v turbo

Offline Nickyboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • 2007 ED30 in Grey
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 04:54:59 pm »
Your only option is to have a civilized chat with the neighbour and express how much care and attention goes into your car. One ding and you will notice.

Difficult without causing offence.

Invite them round for a few drink as a welcome, and after a couple, express your concerns diplomatically. Easy after a few drinks

:happy2:

Offline mad_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 05:54:19 pm »
Always say hello to new neighbours. Try not to make the first time you meet them to be about an issue.

And I judge people by their cars. Don't judge a book by it's cover ? Why else is the cover there if not to give an indication of the book ?

Offline Zodium

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 06:06:46 pm »
I'm feeling your pain  :sick:

Offline AndyED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 11
  • ED30
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 06:19:33 pm »
My friend has a spotless TTRS, if/when he gets new neighbours in on either side he goes round........introduces himself..........lets them know exactly how weird he is about his car, normally gets a laugh and they're cool after that.

Best policy, share your pedanticness!  :signLOL:

Offline mvb12

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 64
  • VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 08:14:43 pm »
this is a funny post.  :grin:

maybe an introduction is needed.
VCDS HEX NET / VCP / ODIS - COVERING LONDON AND MIDLANDS
VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
Canbus Gateway - Supply and fit (Stop battery drain issues)