Make a donation

Author Topic: Car Tax..  (Read 1498 times)

Offline af1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Car Tax..
« on: March 30, 2012, 01:33:16 am »
£245 soon to be £250 a year..

have not used my car all month.. but NEED it tomorrow so for 2 days use, i have had to pay for the whole month of March..
also i rarely use the car.. I cycle to the train station, my Mrs drives the family wagon.. it hardly gets used!
but i still pay the same tax as someone (with the same emissions category) who chugs up 1000miles a week!

I know tax is tax and rarely makes sense but seriously? Car Tax is the biggest con out there

i know this is controversial but why not just stick a few extra quid on fuel! at least then it will be proportionate..

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=sjr869062s48nm57rcu9hh8iph&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Car Tax..
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 09:00:43 am »
Absolutely not... Stupid idea!

Offline Vdub13799

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 09:20:43 am »
Agree mad idea!!! Sell the car and get something cheaper if you can afford to tax it bud!

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 09:46:39 am »
I guess those thinking its a mad idea are doing high mileage's.

Its actually a very sensible idea, it would stop the issue of all those untaxed vehicles on the road and It would also be a more cost effective to collect the tax, which hopefully would equate to better roads or a lower tax ( yeah right :signLOL:)

That said with the rising cost of fuel it would be very difficult to set it at a level that was fair. Its a universal tax that applies to everyone and as such is unfair. It feels harsh to those that only do a small mileage and doesn't hit those doing a high mileage, as much. If you use it more, you should pay more.

It would be nice to see it modernised, but it isn't going to happen. Just as we are stuck with Inheritance tax and stamp duty

Oh why Oh why did they ever get rid of the poll tax................................. :evilgrin:

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 09:57:03 am »
If you just need the car for a day can't you rent one? Or borrow a mate's and pay for a day's insurance?
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 10:36:02 am »
I guess those thinking its a mad idea are doing high mileage's.

Its actually a very sensible idea, it would stop the issue of all those untaxed vehicles on the road and It would also be a more cost effective to collect the tax, which hopefully would equate to better roads or a lower tax ( yeah right :signLOL:)

That said with the rising cost of fuel it would be very difficult to set it at a level that was fair. Its a universal tax that applies to everyone and as such is unfair. It feels harsh to those that only do a small mileage and doesn't hit those doing a high mileage, as much. If you use it more, you should pay more.

It would be nice to see it modernised, but it isn't going to happen. Just as we are stuck with Inheritance tax and stamp duty

Oh why Oh why did they ever get rid of the poll tax................................. :evilgrin:

If they do that they may as well privatise the whole road system and scrap both fuel duty and car tax, that way you pay for road use depending on how much you use it.

It is unfair for those doing 50K per year to pay the same road tax as those doing 5k per year but when has life ever been fair  :signLOL:

What annoys me more is the pre 93 car tax system, you can drive a 6.75L V8 Bentley turbo R and tax is £190 a year and emissions of about 420gm co2 or you can drive a GTI at 190gm c02 and tax is £245, how is that fair?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 10:38:27 am by Tamiyoman »
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 20
  • Supersonic
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 04:28:13 pm »
stop moaning!

live in Irleand and my road tax for GTI is 660 euros! If I had r32 i it would have been 1200 euros annually and for m3 e90 it would have been 1500 euros!

You guys living in UK can consider yourself a lucky bunch!
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline af1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 05:33:32 pm »
Lol got it silly idea!!

Any way apparently heard there is a water shortage comming so need to get busy draining my taps and storing All the water in bottles around my house!!

(still think my idea would be good for people like me who's car is just used as a weekend/occasional use motor)

Offline af1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 05:36:45 pm »
Then again if someone suggested the idea when I was driving 1000miles a week I'd likely think it was a stupid idea!!

Who would have thought it, the government have got it bang on correct with the current tvehicle taxation system!

Double thumbs up government