Make a donation

Author Topic: Rescue GTI  (Read 6233 times)

Offline mk5craig

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Rescue GTI
« on: April 01, 2012, 10:50:03 pm »
Hi, just took the plunge to change to a gti from a gt tdi 4 motion golf, here they are below

The car had quite a few things wrong with it when i viewed it but managed to get it at a good price so have used the money i saved to get it back to its former glory, When i went out for a test drive you could hear the brakes scuffing and the suspension knocked on every bump, it had a few little dints and a few small scuffs, an odd interior light not working, brake warning light and air bag light on,engine cover broke and rocker cover had a putty round the oil cap stem met the main plastic,ariel taped up and it stank of smoke (i know most of you are thinking why the hell did you buy that  :stupid:)  
got it home late wednesday night and the fun begin early thursday morning.i put new front mintex pads and dicsc, fixed the brake pad wiring, 2 new front drop links, order a new cv gator and had 2 new continetals on the front as it did have bct s800 tyres and the reviews were cheap chinese crap,

today i put in different headlight bulbs,led rear number plate bulbs, a good clean in and out and me and the girlfriend washed and hoovered the interior, we read up about how to get rid of the smoke smell and so far we have tried, washing and hoovering interior, removed the cabin filter, putting coffee granules in the car and a new air freshner, it has helped but going to take a few more days til i'l be happy.

next on the list is new pollen filter, get the car scanned on vcds for the airbag fault, have order an ariel and engine cover from members on here
This how the car stands now

Craig
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 10:52:07 pm by mk5craig »

Offline monte

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
Re: Rescue GTI
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 11:02:34 pm »
Looks good Craig :happy2:

IMO its great to see someone put the time and effort and money in to get such a great car back to its former glory!

When you need parts it's always a good idea to try the wanted section.

Members on here often have original parts gathering dust in garages that would be great for rescue cars  :happy2:

Offline mk5craig

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 11:06:25 pm »
thanks. yeah wanted section is perfect, this is where i got the ariel and engine cover, going to post some more wanted posts up in a bit

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 11:33:52 pm »
Looking good mate, I want one
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 08:00:01 am »
Seeing this post has made me wonder that perhaps I should stop being lazy looking for a perfectexample and buy a not so mint car and restore it to its former glory.

Looking good though.
3 Door GTI Black, Cruise Control, DSG, Factory Tints, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Highline Display, Leather, Monza II's, MFSW, Parking Sensors, Puddle Lights,  Xenons,

To be fitted....Bluetooth,DVB-T, MDI, RNS510, Stage one (opinions much appreciated)

Offline Ree

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 08:20:12 am »
How are you finding the handling difference from the 4-motion to the GTi ?

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 09:10:27 am »
To get rid of the smoke smell,try putting some normal bbq charcoal in a foil takeway dish & leave in a rear footwell for a few days. :happy2:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=5ro6gi1mp2p5rqoaqr9v9n82ll&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 09:27:15 am »
Neutradol air freshener. Gel odour destroyer!

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 09:49:12 am »
To get rid of the smoke smell,try putting some normal bbq charcoal in a foil takeway dish & leave in a rear footwell for a few days. :happy2:

And don't light it  :wink:

Offline mk5craig

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 12:15:37 pm »
Thanks for the tips, I also read that baking soda. Does a similar job if you use it like a shake and vac product but you need to leave it for a few hours, must admit smells alot better today.
I must admit I was worried about the handling difference between the 4mo and the gti and at first the 4mo was better but since putting the new continentals on the front it does grip just aswell as the 4mo,

I was looking for the perfect gti but the prices vary quite alot, and when I saw this one and I got it for a good price I thought why not, least this way you know what has and hadn't been done to the car and that it's been done correctly

Think I've answered all comments :smiley:

Thanks craig

Offline mk5craig

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 09:22:08 pm »
Little update,had auto lock and unlock activated,bleep when locking the car, scan for faults and done some data logs, (Big thanks to simonp for doing this  :drinking: ), got another ariel as mine had isolation tape holding it together (thanks Gtiain),new lower half of the engine cover as mine had holes and cracks in, guessing the person who i brought it off must of ripped it off breaking it all   :rolleye: (thanks to w8 performance for sorting me one out), had a wheel bolt missing (thanks phil miller), fixed the interior light, have ordered a diverter valve rev D, should be here tomorrow, and just tested the PCV valve and its broken so need to order one of them tomorrow, and another 5 air freshners to try and get rid of the smoke smell

so overall getting there,

Craig

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 09:36:18 pm »
nice buy--whens it getting mapped :signLOL:

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 09:37:06 pm »
Sounds like you have been mega busy but it looks well worth it  :happy2:

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline mk5craig

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 09:42:50 pm »
Will be mapped once i sort the pcv and diverter valve sorted so would say it will be mapped by the end of april  :smiley:

Thanks, yeah progress is going quite well since i've only had it a week  :smiley:

craig

Offline mattypgolf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 09:45:05 pm »
Little update,had auto lock and unlock activated,bleep when locking the car, scan for faults and done some data logs, (Big thanks to simonp for doing this  :drinking: ), got another ariel as mine had isolation tape holding it together (thanks Gtiain),new lower half of the engine cover as mine had holes and cracks in, guessing the person who i brought it off must of ripped it off breaking it all   :rolleye: (thanks to w8 performance for sorting me one out), had a wheel bolt missing (thanks phil miller), fixed the interior light, have ordered a diverter valve rev D, should be here tomorrow, and just tested the PCV valve and its broken so need to order one of them tomorrow, and another 5 air freshners to try and get rid of the smoke smell

so overall getting there,

Craig

what is auto lock/ unlock? and the beep,,hows that done vcds?

nice to see the car coming on
TR dsg, stage 1 r-tec map, bbs ch in gloss black, black roof and badges, colour coded, neuspeed hybrid intake, cat back exhaust..