Make a donation

Author Topic: Candy white GTI  (Read 1970 times)

Offline stubert

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
Candy white GTI
« on: April 18, 2012, 03:19:34 pm »
Hey guys.  New member here.  Recently picked up a Candy White MK5 GTI.  Really enjoying my ownership so far.  I've been active on car forums for years, but this is my first shot of a modern Golf.
Before the GTI, i was driving a JDM Integra DC2 for 4 years.  I did heaps of miles, track days and entered the Scottish Hillclimb championship in it last year.
Prior to the Integra i had 2 Polo G40's.  After i sell the Integra i intend on getting another G40.  Truly is my car love.

I'll post up updates from another thread so some names etc might not make sense, but you'll get the right idea.  Thanks for looking, Stuart

Offline stubert

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: Candy white GTI
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 03:20:08 pm »
I had poopoo'd these car's for a while since I test drove one a while back. 
After some thinking time and test driving of other cars I went back on my word and picked up a MK5 GTI yesterday.

The list of cars I "wanted" was vast, to say the least, and I got some great advice from many people on other motors.  M3's or 335i's were high up the list but M3 servicing costs were scary and 335's were still a little out my price range for a good one.  Thanks to Martin McBride for an extensive email on cars, sorry I can't join the beemer brigade this time around!

Anyway....

I test drove a few of these, liked some, didn't get on well with others.  DSG + 17" Monza's were my only two preferences originally, and then cloth interior was added to that list after sliding around on some tired leather.

This Candy White example came up for sale down south.  DSG, 17's, cloth interior, a good price and good service history.  The bodywork needs a little TLC as it was a daily driver for a busy woman who possibly wasn't too concerned.  BUT it cleans up well and looks great.
Thanks VERY much to Saint Matt who went and looked around this car for me prior to the long drive down.  You're a real star mate, and sorry I never managed to get through to shake your hand.

On the list of things to do (as everyone has one!!) are to replace the tyres and possibly get the wheels re-conditioned.

Offline stubert

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 03:20:52 pm »
Not a huge update.

Fitted 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 3's on Wednesday.  Was trying to convince myself to buy some new wheels but decided i really like the 17" Monzas and want to keep the car looking as standard as i can.  Similar to what i did with the Integra.

Replaced the drivers side grab handle.  Previous owner clearly just opened and closed the door, keys in hand and it was ruined.  Will probably change the passenger side one now, looking at it, as it has a different feel to it now that its new, and looks a lot brighter.

Next on the list is to hopefully collect a Carbonio intake, fit a filter to suit and maybe look at getting a map done.

Offline stubert

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 03:21:35 pm »
Picked up a Carbonio intake for the Golf today from a local guy. 

He bought it for his TFSI powered MK2 golf but it didn't fit right so i got a bargain.  Why he didn't put it on his MK5 GTI i don't know.  It wouldn't fit on his E92 M3 or his Exige Type 72, lol.  What a garage eh?!

These retail at £230ish, i got it for £55.  Up yours JDM tax :P

Fitted it when i got him, simple couple of Torx to fit.  Fit isn't fantastic but it's better than the floppy noonoo i had on there before that was broken.

No great increase in note.  Maybe a smidge throatier at low revs and more "parp" on upshifts.  Maybe a little more responsive low down also.  Still have a standard air filter in there so will order up an aftermarket job to deal with that.

Offline stubert

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 03:22:05 pm »

Offline stubert

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 03:23:08 pm »
Took the Golf on a run yesterday.  Did 180 miles, over Glenshee, then back over again, zipped down a few roads and came home over the Cairn.  I had Aonghus Drummond with me in his totally standard EK9.  He also runs a very highly modified Integra in the SHCC, in B2 class.

The Golf performed exceptionally.  It was the first time i've driven it "properly" since buying it.  The new Michelin PS3's took about 100 miles to get going but once they started to work they were incredible.  They held like no other road tyre i've ever tried.  They were as responsive in high speed corners as they were in slower ones.  We came down the A93 towards Braemar at incredible pace.  The Golf is a car that certainly fills the driver with confidence, and unlike a few other modern cars i've driven, still has fantastic 4 corner feedback.
i found the R32 i test drove very dull at the back in comparison, and i really doubt the R32 would have the legs over the GTI on these stretches of roads.
The handling and braking of the GTI are exceptionally suited to the road, but it's lacking in punch.  Luckily it holds pace through corners so well.  I think on track it would be obliterated by more powerful machines.
On the twists it kept up well with the prehistoric Civic, but in a straight line through the cogs it was dusted by the Japanese whip.

I was worried i'd be itching to get back in the Integra pretty soon, but so far i'm over the moon with the Golf.  Even if the Integra dosn't sell i'm struggling to see when i'd want to jump back in it now....

Here are some pics i took yesterday

My personal favourite

Offline Black9

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 03:51:31 pm »
Looks like a cracker, I also came from a Type R. An EK9 in fact.

Offline Paullie773

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 03:59:08 pm »
Beautiful GTi, hope you enjoy it  :happy2:. Love the pics from your trip out yesterday, some great roads up there.  :smiley: Paula xx