Make a donation

Author Topic: Should I sell GTI to buy R32?  (Read 11093 times)

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Re: Should I sell GTI to buy R32?
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2012, 02:45:16 pm »
To Change a GTI to a R32 seems a bit pointless as an every day car. It would cost you more to run and as an every day car the performance would be negligible.
They also both look virtually the same on the inside so you would only see the difference when it was parked in the drive. For another £3k plus ! No thanks  :innocent:
Now if you were changing to and Edition 30 that would be different  :innocent:

an Ed30? which looks even more similar, has an even more negligible daily performance gain and costs even more than £3k to swap?

you didn't really think that thru did you...

Except that for £400 you can have 290-300bhp and that would seriosuly outperform the R32 in all but monsoon conditions.

we're not talking about tuned cars tho

why not buy a 2nd hand A3 3.2 quattro for £7k, put a big turbo on it and d*ck all over a Stage 1 Ed30 then? how far do you want to take it?

I think he said he wants a VW on his drive, not a Golf in a Fur Coat
  :happy2:

clearly garrardrj's comments were comparing the standard cars against each other and hence made no sense whatsoever. if not your mention of £3k is wrong if you're having to spend more money on a tune. i'd like to see a GTI + £2.7k get swapped for an Ed30 and then have £300 left over for a tune (and let's ignore for a second that for that kind of power you'd need money for brakes and suspension)

ED30's have started to drop below 10K regularly, even seen higher mileage (NON cat D) cars going for 9K, so unless his GTI is worth less than £7k, he will have enuff money.  :happy2:

Do you "Need" uprated brakes and suspension for a Road car?, or is it "Needed" for a car if you plan on track days in it, just coz my ED30 will have 300hp compared to 230hp does not mean I will be attacking roundabouts faster or sweeping bends quicker, it just means I get up to speed quicker, I still allow safe distances for braking. Uprated brakes required=NO, preferred? possibly yes.

OP asked if he should get an R32 over his GTI
garrardrj then said no, get an Ed30 because the R32 is too similar  :stupid:

if you can't agree that's a daft statement to make then that's your problem really!

you can argue all you like about throwing even more money at the car to make it better than the R32, but that is not what the OP is asking, nor what i was trying to say when i think that it's ridiculous to suggest a (standard) Ed30 over a (standard) R32 as a replacement to the GTI on grounds of similarity.

now, none of this is helping the OP. so on that basis, i'm out.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 02:48:26 pm by sub39h »
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2012, 03:36:58 pm »
 :indifferent:

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2012, 06:31:46 pm »
To Change a GTI to a R32 seems a bit pointless as an every day car. It would cost you more to run and as an every day car the performance would be negligible.
They also both look virtually the same on the inside so you would only see the difference when it was parked in the drive. For another £3k plus ! No thanks  :innocent:
Now if you were changing to and Edition 30 that would be different  :innocent:

an Ed30? which looks even more similar, has an even more negligible daily performance gain and costs even more than £3k to swap?

you didn't really think that thru did you...

Except that for £400 you can have 290-300bhp and that would seriosuly outperform the R32 in all but monsoon conditions.

we're not talking about tuned cars tho

why not buy a 2nd hand A3 3.2 quattro for £7k, put a big turbo on it and d*ck all over a Stage 1 Ed30 then? how far do you want to take it?

I think he said he wants a VW on his drive, not a Golf in a Fur Coat
  :happy2:

clearly garrardrj's comments were comparing the standard cars against each other and hence made no sense whatsoever. if not your mention of £3k is wrong if you're having to spend more money on a tune. i'd like to see a GTI + £2.7k get swapped for an Ed30 and then have £300 left over for a tune (and let's ignore for a second that for that kind of power you'd need money for brakes and suspension)

ED30's have started to drop below 10K regularly, even seen higher mileage (NON cat D) cars going for 9K, so unless his GTI is worth less than £7k, he will have enuff money.  :happy2:

Do you "Need" uprated brakes and suspension for a Road car?, or is it "Needed" for a car if you plan on track days in it, just coz my ED30 will have 300hp compared to 230hp does not mean I will be attacking roundabouts faster or sweeping bends quicker, it just means I get up to speed quicker, I still allow safe distances for braking. Uprated brakes required=NO, preferred? possibly yes.

OP asked if he should get an R32 over his GTI
garrardrj then said no, get an Ed30 because the R32 is too similar  :stupid:

if you can't agree that's a daft statement to make then that's your problem really!

you can argue all you like about throwing even more money at the car to make it better than the R32, but that is not what the OP is asking, nor what i was trying to say when i think that it's ridiculous to suggest a (standard) Ed30 over a (standard) R32 as a replacement to the GTI on grounds of similarity.

now, none of this is helping the OP. so on that basis, i'm out.

I am the owner of an Ed30 and hence my post. I do not seen anny difference really in all three R32/GTI/ED30. They are all MK5 Golfs not ferraris !
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2012, 07:58:53 pm »
Id love an R32 , but I couldnt face being raped for £450 every year for road tax!
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline Upperoilcan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2012, 12:21:18 pm »
Mate,go for it,you wont regret it at all.....

You obviously have evolved from a 4 pot... :signLOL:

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2012, 01:05:31 pm »
Just stick a decat non res exhaust and map on the gti, sound will change immensely and you should get a decent enough power hike to pacify you at street level. Job done.  :happy2:

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2012, 01:06:44 pm »
you mean like this  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Oh ye and one word for this......epic......... :driver:

Offline DJM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2012, 01:22:33 pm »

Amazing.

To your question. Id sell the gti for a r32. I think too many are answering this question on their preference rathar than your situation.
You obviously dont need the car for speed and not short of a few quid to notice the fuel difference. R32 for the sound so I would do it if i was in your situation.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2012, 03:55:43 pm »

Amazing.

To your question. Id sell the gti for a r32. I think too many are answering this question on their preference rathar than your situation.
You obviously dont need the car for speed and not short of a few quid to notice the fuel difference. R32 for the sound so I would do it if i was in your situation.

Yes I am guilty of that, bottom line is they are both the same size and are pretty much matched in day to day performance, I had the choice of Both and decided on ED30 purely down to looks/tuneability and secondly running costs (not very important for me as I only do 3-4K per year).
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14