Make a donation

Author Topic: Exhuast options  (Read 1073 times)

R32UK

Exhuast options
« on: April 25, 2012, 11:05:29 am »
ok guys I dont really want a full new exhaust system but do remember seeing these on a mk6 gti forum. From what I remember they cost a fair few $$$'s

Akrapovič are known for making top quality crotch rocket exhausts but also do some exotic cars also... so anyone have anything like this currently?

What I would really like to know is something similar available for the mk5 GTI (ed30) if that makes any difference. Now before anyone says they are not worth the money... its my money  :P

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
Re: Exhuast options
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 11:07:29 am »
arn't they just tips? if you don't want a full new exhaust system why don't you just by a mill (or other) rear exhaust? theres a few exhausts in the for sale section.

I thought just by adding tips you don't actually change any of the noise - just the image? (i might be wrong)

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=j1j09lk7viorh4kui8sib3hnm5&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 11:15:29 am »
Well if its your money... why ask for opinions?

R32UK

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 11:23:24 am »
Well if its your money... why ask for opinions?

:confused:

the two questions I asked were  :mad: "does anyone have anything like this currently?" and "is there anything similar available for the mk5?"

SO... I wasnt asking for opinions. Just factual information thanks.  :happy2:

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 11:51:38 am »
Oh, In that case you'll have to wait until someone with tips can tell you factual information but I can give you these;

fact 1: Tips are Tips mate - you can buy universal tips and just chop the tips of your current exhaust and either weld or mount the new tips on

fact 2: They don't add anything but looks.

fact 3: if you want just looks go for tips

fact 4: if you want noise and actual measurable horse power gains then buy a exhaust system or at least the muffler

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 11:54:43 am »
another fact - for the price of those tips you posted @ $695.00 you could buy a full exhaust  :smiley:

Offline Black9

• Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 11:56:28 am »
As said tips won't alter exhaust noise, only a change of exhaust will. My opinion is don't waste your money on tips. Seems a bit tacky and something more suited to a corsa in 1999 :laugh:

Acrapovic make some extremely high end exhausts and if u could get one for your R32 I say go for it, won't be cheap tho...

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 12:07:40 pm »
As said tips won't alter exhaust noise, only a change of exhaust will. My opinion is don't waste your money on tips. Seems a bit tacky and something more suited to a corsa in 1999 :laugh:

Acrapovic make some extremely high end exhausts and if u could get one for your R32 I say go for it, won't be cheap tho...

If the tips are $695 I wouldn't want to know what the exhausts cost  :scared: :scared:

Unless your using it for professional track day (and I mean the kind where your car is an actual race car I think you'd be better suited to a milly, eurojet, supersprint etc exhaust

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 12:11:48 pm »
I think they look pretty cool. They're obviously just eye-candy but there's nowt wrong with that.

Too many folks primarily judge a product purely on its price. If you like them and can afford to buy them, then good on yer! Do it for you and ignore everyone else.

A BIALI Boy mate of mine with carbon skills and workshop has been thinking of seeing what he could do to make his own for his Mk4 R32. I think I'll give him a call and see if he's still investigating it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 12:13:28 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 12:14:37 pm »

Unless your using it for professional track day (and I mean the kind where your car is an actual race car I think you'd be better suited to a milly, eurojet, supersprint etc exhaust

....Are there any benefits to a race car with these tips fitted?

Could be very expensive if Plato is up your bum in his usual style!

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 12:15:38 pm »
about 2 seconds off your 0-60  :stupid:

the full exhaust I was talking about

R32UK

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 12:18:05 pm »
ok a little further look on the akrapovis site has revealed the following information... I guess the slip on system or tips are only available for mk6 gti after all   :sad1:

http://www.akrapovic.com/car-exhaust/products/volkswagen/model/golf-vi-gti-2009/slip-on-32582ab009/

and a link to the tips... which are mainly an option to add-on to the system above.

http://www.akrapovic.com/car-exhaust/products/volkswagen/model/golf-vi-gti-2009/slip-on-a453ebd0c0/

Ultimately my tips are black and covered in filth so I would of just prefered the look of the 'handcrafted carbon-fiber tail pipes' to alter the look of the car slightly.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 12:23:19 pm »

Ultimately my tips are black and covered in filth so I would of just prefered the look of the 'handcrafted carbon-fiber tail pipes' to alter the look of the car slightly.

....Is another (cheaper) option for you to have satin black ceramic coated tips?:

^ These are Milltek and still look good when dirty and are extremely easy to wipe clean with a Megs cream.

R32UK

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 12:50:13 pm »
thanks RR  :happy2:

as the Akrapovič are now clearly out of the equation these would seem like a viable alternative.