Make a donation

Author Topic: Decorating Advice  (Read 3912 times)

Offline Beddie

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
Re: Decorating Advice
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 06:58:17 pm »
I always use satinwood, no yellowing and easier to use.

^ this  :happy2:

I've changed all the glossed wood in the house to satinwood as I much prefer the finish and the lack of oils in the paint prevents it from yellowing, however for my stair spindles and handrail I used a satin white enamel paint as its a bit more hard wearing against knocks etc and you can clean it without worrying about taking any paint off  :happy2:

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 07:25:31 pm »

I've changed all the glossed wood in the house to satinwood as I much prefer the finish and the lack of oils in the paint prevents it from yellowing, however for my stair spindles and handrail I used a satin white enamel paint as its a bit more hard wearing against knocks etc and you can clean it without worrying about taking any paint off  :happy2:
Is that a non-solvent based satinwood you are using then? Oil-based satinwoods will also yellow. A non-oil based satinwood will not have the same level of durability, and the skirting, architraves and other woodwork that require protecting often take a battering from hoovers, kids, and things being carried through the house. Sikkens Satura is the best Satinwood IMO, and again I've not had any problems with this yellowing prematurely, whilst it is solvent based giving a durable finish.

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 10:01:30 pm »
Love painting - Hate cleaning brushes, any tips

Also about to paint a bedroom floor white (Scandinavian look) what paint (thinking Farrow & Ball floor paint)

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 10:58:08 pm »
For oil-based paints buy a Brushmate 4

http://www.decorating-supplies.co.uk/epages/BT3825.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3825/Products/110

Stores up to 4 brushes, keeping them wet so you don't need to worry about them. Just don't forget what paint is on each one! Only about 12-15 quid. It comes with a filter soaked in a chemical which keeps the paint from going off, this lasts about 6 weeks, but I've got them to last 3-4 months by masking the lid of the box to keep it air tight.
When you do come to clean them, a quick soak in white spirit, followed by a heavy working of Fairy Liquid into the bristles to break down the oil in the paint, followed by warm water to wash it away. You usually need to repeat this process at least once until the bristles are squeeky clean. Then give the brush a good rinse under a tap to remove the suds completely. Cleaning is a lot easier with quality synthetic brushes.

For water based paints, just wash them out in water when wet. It takes seconds.

F&B Floor paint is pretty good, but if you want something super-durable, then I'd use Coovar floor paint, which is very good on wooden floors in particular. You'll get double the volume for your money too.  :happy2:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 06:33:55 am by Mk5 GTian »

Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=f1coo0t1m57t07p9p0du2uqss6&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 11:29:23 pm »

X3  :happy2:

Much easier to use than gloss and i prefer the finish.

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 06:24:14 am »
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

A lot of my clients prefer a satinwood or eggshell finish, but as I mentioned above, If these are oil-based they can still yellow.

Sikkens Satura is my favoured solution for a solvent-based satin finish. I've had no callbacks for yellowing, and it's very durable, with a beautiful finish possible when applied with a good quality synthetic brush (I use Purdy's, the best brushes known to man!).

http://www.decoratingwarehouse.co.uk/buy/woodstains/sikkens-woodstains/sikkens-rubbol-satura-plus/462

Acrylic or waterbased satinwoods don't flatten in the same way that an oil-based product will, and are far less durable to the sort of knocks they are likely to be subjected to. The paint can become quite chalky, and can come away when trying to clean the surface.

Offline TANNER

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 08:40:33 pm »
Thanks Ian & for everyone elses input, will give satinwood a go and see how it looks!

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 06:03:59 am »
Thanks Ian & for everyone elses input, will give satinwood a go and see how it looks!

No worries.  :happy2:

I was talking to the manager in Brewers in Woking yesterday, and they have had absolutely no problems reported with the Sikkens Satura (see above). He told me this is probably due to the fact that Sikkens were on top of the 2010 compliancy back in 2008, so have had a lot longer to get it right as regards yellowing.

If you are going to go for a non-solvent based satinwood, he recommended the Dulux Diamond, as it is very durable, but you won't get a glass smooth finish as you would with an oil-based. I might give this a try though myself next time I have an 'eco-client'!