Make a donation

Author Topic: New York where would you eat.............?  (Read 3650 times)

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
New York where would you eat.............?
« on: May 01, 2012, 01:45:18 pm »
This forum can usually be relied upon to throw up (pardon the pun) some useful info on a very wide variety of subjects so lets test it again.

We are off to New York for a holiday, has anyone got any diner, restaurant or food experiences that we should try?

I am researching the usual advice centres e.g. Fodors, New York times, Lonely planet, www etc etc.

But as always, you can't beat a good personal recomendation - Please no strip joints :ashamed: we are taking our 10 yr. old with us :pomppomp: 

I think I know what we are going to do as regards the major attractions, but If anyone has any 'must see' ideas then please let me know :popcornsoda:

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Re: New York where would you eat.............?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 02:36:19 pm »
I went to TGI Fridays in Times Square which was very very good. I also went to Planet Hollywood, again in Times square and thought it was very very good. But it was 2003 so things may have changed since.

Speak to vRStu as he was there recently for a few days.

Offline Powervalve Nige

• Trader - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 84
  • -Receive: 76
  • Don't get angry, get a beter argument
    • POWERVALVE
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 02:55:09 pm »
Went to TGi's and had my meal served up - however, the fries that I'd ordered were left off, and the excuse I got was that they were out of them for a short while and thought I might like to make a start without them  :signLOL:

20 mins later the waitress showed up with them  :sick:

Search out the Outback Steakhouse in lower Manhatten - great steak  :laugh: and make sure you get the 'bloomin onion' starter  :party: - awesome !
Cheers
Nige

Offline Mindyloula

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 04:43:23 pm »
Horatio and I spent Christmas 2008 in NY and on Xmas eve we ate at place called AJ Maxwell's which is in the Rockefeller complex: http://www.rockefellercenter.com/shop-and-eat/aj-maxwells/

We had had a great meal there - incredible steaks - they are still the benchmark to which we rate all other steaks  :drool:, some very nice cocktails and great service. It's not the cheapest, we had the sirloin which was I think $44 at the time, but the quality made it worth it.

We have some friends that also went to New York a couple of months before us, and they went to a restaurant in Times Square (it's in a Marriott hotel I think) that's at the top of the building and actually revolves 360 degrees. We didn't visit but they said it was good.. http://www.opentable.com/the-view-restaurant

Another highlight was seeing a show on Broadway (also Xmas eve, before going to AJ Maxwells). We saw Wicked and again, maybe not the cheapest thing to do, especially if there are 3 of you, but it was a very good show.. Other obvious highlights I would say are the Statue of Liberty, the site of the World Trade Centre and Central Park (we had a foot of snow whilst we were there so it was beautiful, but VERY cold)..

Hope that helps  :smiley:
2006 R32 : DSG : 5DR : Black Magic

Offline mvb12

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 64
  • VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 04:55:26 pm »
I went in 08 and believe me NYC is just like West End Oxford Street. (SHOP TIL YOU DROP)

Recommendations is Amy Ruths they do chicken and waffles.  :happy2:
Rack and Soul BBQ they do pulled pork - like Bodeans if you've ever been.   :happy2:
over in Brocklyn IS Popeye they do biscuits and chicken. yummy.  :happy2:

There is a clothing outlet outside NYC that you catch a bus from which the stop is near central station but NYC has a lot of touts running around that can help you on your way.

Chinatown in brooklyn was sweet, very interesting and i recommend jumping on the subway to get around.

I went in Dec and the weather was fooking freezing had to buy a massive north face jacket out there at the outlet but was all half price shopping as i went when it was over 2 dollars to the pound  :signLOL:

Century21 and Macys are good spots to shop and remember to bring your passport to macys for extra discounts.

won't get into the "excursions" as there all quite well known.  :innocent:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 07:18:58 pm by mvb12 »
VCDS HEX NET / VCP / ODIS - COVERING LONDON AND MIDLANDS
VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
Canbus Gateway - Supply and fit (Stop battery drain issues)

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 06:29:22 pm »
As above with Amy Ruths.
Also Max Brenner on Broadway is good and child friendly. Stayed just around the corner and went there a couple of times, my daughter describes their waffles as LUSH (pretty sure thats a good thing). God those Americans know how to eat!!!
 :happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 07:16:31 pm »
Anywhere where Man V Food filmed!

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 07:38:41 pm »
My favourites are Smith & Wollensky's on East 49th for steak  :party:

Also either of Cipriani's (Try the Harry's Bar Special Roger cocktail) or Michael Jordan's for a burger, both in Grand Central Station, are very good too  :happy2:

Offline mvb12

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 64
  • VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 07:45:07 pm »
Smith & Wollensky's that the classy joint on the corner, the outside was styled like a gift wrapped box with a red ribbon, (MAYBE DIFFERENT NOW)

Cipriani's - this brings back memories even took a picture with me holding the menu, need to dig out the pics  :fighting2:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 07:58:25 pm by mvb12 »
VCDS HEX NET / VCP / ODIS - COVERING LONDON AND MIDLANDS
VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
Canbus Gateway - Supply and fit (Stop battery drain issues)

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 07:50:59 pm »
Smith & Wollensky's that the classy joint on the corner, thew outside was styled like a gift wrapped box with a red ribbon, (MAYBE DIFFERENT NOW)

Yep with the waiters in the white jackets  :happy2:

It's not the cheapest (a group of 23 of us on a conference back in Jan got a $5,200 bill there one night)  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Bane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
  • "I was born a handsome man and now I'm half a goat
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 07:59:30 pm »
Been to NYC three or four times now,the last was in 2005.
The missus and I went to the USS Constitution aircraft carrier/museum for the day and decided to walk back to the hotel.
Up 9th street.Which we found out later,was a nogo area for tourists,hence the enormous police presence in the area.. :ashamed: :grin:
It was on this trek that we found one of those typical diners in a steel mobile type thing,with the booths and stools and just as you'd see in a movie.The food was excellent,but I could not tell you where it was,or how to get there. :ashamed:
The second was when we got a late night flight back from Vegas.Arriving into NY at 5am,after a sleepless flight,we got to the hotel,which was in Queens,but they couldn't give us a room as it was too early,but they did take our bags in storage.So,with one very tired,very hungry and very,very grumpy Bane and a massive argument in the hotel later,we headed for the subway station.
After one bizzare subway journey(the crazies were out in force that morning) we were in Manhattan,looking desperately for somewhere to have brekkie.I found a diner,just off Broadway that was 24hr,so we got ourselves in there,ensconced a booth and ordered full cooked breakfast.I didn't leave a crumb.
We then decided,as it was coming up for eleven-ish,to go for a walk thru Central Park as it was nearby.We had a wee lie down in among the trees as it was a very pleasant morning.I woke up two hours later,after a squirrel dropped a twig on my head.
So,all in all, not a very helpful post for the OP,as I can't remember either of those places names or where they wer,but the food is immensely good and you get loads of it.

NB,don't sleep in Central park....you'll get funny looks from the locals and the squirrels dont like it. :stupid:

Offline TANNER

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 09:40:21 pm »
I was there for NYE last year, didnt really eat anywhere great unfortunately. I think Hard rock Cafe was probably my best meal with a pulled pork and ribs combo and a load of side dishes! Mega full though it hurt.

Top tip for you is if you want to go to Abercrombie & Fitch go to the South Street Seaport one rather than uptown.
You have to que to get into the uptown store which I think is  :stupid:

The bodies exhibition is down there too which is recomended and probably good for a 10year old.

We made good use of the 3 day open top bus tour for about £60 each including Statue of Liberty ferry, river cruise & empire state. Although I never got to go up the empire state as we simply couldnt fit everything in!

Although it was stressfully busy there at New Year I would like to go back and see what I missed! You will have a great time. :drinking:

Offline Bane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
  • "I was born a handsome man and now I'm half a goat
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 10:21:54 pm »
^^^^in reference to the Empire state building,if you want to miss the queues,go first thing in the morning(around 9 IIRC) or late evening before it shuts.The middle of the day is like the queue for hell....standing in a long un-airconditioned corridor with 300 sweaty Americans just to get in the lift is not my idea of a holiday!

Offline Biff

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 10:22:42 pm »
Hire some bikes and go for ride round Central Park, there's a zoo and the John Lennon memorial. Balthazar restaurant was pretty good, 80 Spring Street between Crosby & Broadway. Also check out Terroir in TriBeCa for food/wine (biggest by the glass menu I've ever seen!).

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 12:13:02 am »
surprised no one has said Lombardi's.... If you like pizza its the most famous place in NYC...

http://www.firstpizza.com/

http://www.brooklyndiner.com/ - Breakfasts here are fantastic, other meals are ok... if you want a proper breakfast though pop in here...

http://www.smithandwollenskynyc.com/ - exspensive but good